The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Runs for about 10 minutes and the just quits (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238123)

tagroff 01-28-2018 05:41 PM

Runs for about 10 minutes and the just quits

I have a 1928 it starts fine runs like a top for about minutes then quits and won't retire.

Tom Endy 01-28-2018 05:58 PM

Re: Runs for about 10 minutes and the just quits

Take the gas cap off and see if it still does it. If so, the vent hole in the cap is plugged.

Tom Endy

burner31 01-28-2018 06:10 PM

Are you sure your not sitting in a Chevy?

Ernie Vitucci 01-28-2018 06:13 PM

A second place to look would be the needle valve in the carburetor. It could be mostly closed and only dribbling fuel. A little holy water on the gas cap can't hurt! Ernie

SeaSlugs 01-28-2018 06:30 PM

Need more info...

When it dies is it like you just shut a key off or is there alot of stumbiling backfiring coughing before it sputters and dies?

What are you doing when it dies? (driving, idiling in the driveway, etc)

Did you change anything fuel or electrical on the car?

6 or 12V normal or electronic ign?

When your trying to restart can you smell raw fuel?

If you let it sit another 30 minutes does it restart or does it have to sit till everything is cold again to restart?

Did you just take it out of winter storage or was it driving fine last week?

tagroff 01-28-2018 07:46 PM

Just like you shut the key off. No stumble or try to stay running just does and will not restart till next day..I kind of wondered if it might be the float sticking

tagroff 01-28-2018 07:49 PM

No been sitting awhile it's 6volt and just sitting in the shop idled up when running and quits . Won't restart till next day.

eagle 01-28-2018 07:51 PM

Did you check for spark? Also try holding your hand over the carb intake while running the starter, should have gas on your hand shortly. You need to isolate it to fuel or spark and then some or no one here is going to be able to give you anything more than a random wild guess. Be prepared for every possible issue that has ever come up on everyone's car. Here it comes...

Gary WA 01-28-2018 07:52 PM

Pull gas line off at carb,let run in container for a bit see if it keeps running the gas that is?what kind of carb etc setup?

bkensinger 01-28-2018 08:20 PM

If you have a weak coil it will work when cold and then dump you when hot. Happened to me twice.

holdover 01-28-2018 08:32 PM

With an abrupt stop, it sounds like electrical, I'd look at the coil first them maybe a defective condenser.

Kohnke Rebabbitting 01-28-2018 08:33 PM

Coil, or condenser, if you back fire, spark is on, and off.

Bill G 01-28-2018 08:34 PM

It didn't look like you checked Tom Endy's suggestion. One thing I noticed with my '29 is the gas cap and the radiator cap are essentially the same except for the vent. If you mistakenly switched caps, then the gas cap would have no vent and could create a vacuum. I think if it was a carb float issue, you would get way less than 10 minutes out of it.

SeaSlugs 01-28-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicbox51 (Post 1585426)
It didn't look like you checked Tom Endy's suggestion. One thing I noticed with my '29 is the gas cap and the radiator cap are essentially the same except for the vent. If you mistakenly switched caps, then the gas cap would have no vent and could create a vacuum. I think if it was a carb float issue, you would get way less than 10 minutes out of it.

also when this happens it acts like it runs outa fuel because it does. His case says its like someone switched the key off so id start looking for spark.

SO yes when it does die see if you have spark via pullign the main wire from the distributor housing and rest it about 1/4" away from a head nut. Should have a nice bright blue spark.

Big hammer 01-28-2018 10:01 PM

Gas vavle not turned on? and it leaks through a little!

PalAl 01-28-2018 10:10 PM

Do you have a pencil filter in your tank at your gas shut off. Had the same thing, it was a flap of gas tank coating that would occasionally block the gas flow. The filter prevents that from happening.

TerryO 01-28-2018 10:47 PM

My '31 Sport Coupe started doing this Saturday and My son found the fuse block on the starter had a loose terminal. I have driven it since last May with no issues until now.

TerryO

Glenn Thoreson 01-28-2018 10:48 PM

Partially plugged gas line. I have an A that only gets driven in parades twice a year. I drain everything down afterward. Invariably, some little piece of junk gets sucked into the line. Blow it back with compressed air with the shutoff valve open. You'll be good 'till next time. It's very hard to get into the tank to clean it out without removing the tank. I have had some luck with siphoning fuel off the tank bottom with a 3/8" hose. No guarantee on that one, though. Get one of the little screens that insert into the valve inlet inside the tank. Works great! Mac's, etc has them.

3.6rs 01-28-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagroff (Post 1585332)
I have a 1928 it starts fine runs like a top for about minutes then quits and won't retire.

Maybe you should fuel in it to run for more then 10 minutes

Ernie Vitucci 01-29-2018 11:54 AM

Tank junk suggestion...If the tank is dirty, one can drain it and let it dry out overnight and then take the hose of your shop vacuum and then vacuum out the tank the following morning. You will most likely hear and feel 'Junk' coming up the hose. I'll grant that you can't get everything out of the tank, but if you do this a couple of times, you will get a great deal of the junk out of the tank. I have also put a second glass sediment bowl in the fuel line, like one from a 55 Thunderbird or such...put it level in the fuel line and put a good sized magnet in the bowl...the car will run much better and the magnet will catch lots of fine stuff that would clog up the carburetor. Ernie