The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New "Winfield" (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168785)

Tod 05-15-2015 09:30 AM

New "Winfield"

Right now, all I am waiting on are the cores from the core shop so I can cast the first sample batch of the 6:1 Winfield style heads. The core shop has all the stuff from me to make the cores so I hope it does not take much longer.

The new mold system is completely finished and it works perfectly.

Should also have a half dozen header samples cast this week, too. I sent pics to a couple of guys that asked about them.

Tod

Fullraceflathead 05-15-2015 10:37 AM

Re: New "Winfield"

Great News!

Juggler 05-15-2015 11:03 AM

Fantastic news

26Tguy 05-15-2015 01:25 PM

Cast headers also??? How did I miss this info? May I see a pic also please?

Tod 05-15-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26Tguy (Post 1086278)
Cast headers also??? How did I miss this info? May I see a pic also please?

Email me, and I'll send you a couple of pics of the very first one.

I think it appears in this video also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teocBB7sp34

Tod

old car guy 05-15-2015 09:16 PM

Tod just watched the video and the job you are doing is beyond approach . Hope that you have the cores on the heads all work to your satisfaction( I have no doubts that it will) . Congratulations on a job that's being done extremely first class. You will be responsible for a lot of cars being resurrected with a drivetrain that will be as reliable as the day they rolled off the showroom floor. I hope the satisfaction will be worth all of the hard work you put in for you" I know it will be for the model a community Thank you

Larry Jenkins 05-15-2015 09:21 PM

Are you in touch with Terry Burtz? (sp) he's had some problems with finding a foundry.

Larry Jenkins

zzlegend 05-15-2015 10:18 PM

Thanks for that video Tod. :) I love the smell of hot molten metal and napalm in the morning. ;)

26Tguy 05-16-2015 05:26 AM

Thanks for the pics of the header Tod. Very impressive! Please put me on the "notify list" when your parts become available.

Tod 05-16-2015 04:08 PM

I'm happy to help out, guys. I can send pics to anyone who wants to see progress on various projects.

Tod

Tod 05-18-2015 04:25 PM

I went to the foundry today and molded the chamber side of the 6:1 "Winfield". That gives me the first full sample mold. Looks great. The core plug for the water jacket is at the core shop and they are working on the cores for the first samples. I hope to hear soon just when I can get cores.

Tod

Fullraceflathead 05-19-2015 12:44 AM

Good Foundry's that will take on small jobs are very hard to find. Most seem to have the attitude take it or leave it when it comes to a Quality Casting.
I'm an Quality Control Inspector and do see a lot of castings. Sound Cast, Lodi Casting, Globe, Consolidated Casting these are some of the ones that can be rough in holding dimensions. Signicast does very nice work. I hate to say it but there are Foundry's in China that are very advanced compared to the previous Foundry's I listed.
The EPA has really put restrictions on Foundry's here. Our Model A Ford Foundry Castings look much better than what I see from Foundry's here is the US, Sand Castings that is.

Tod 05-19-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fullraceflathead (Post 1088293)
Good Foundry's that will take on small jobs are very hard to find. Most seem to have the attitude take it or leave it when it comes to a Quality Casting.
I'm an Quality Control Inspector and do see a lot of castings. Sound Cast, Lodi Casting, Globe, Consolidated Casting these are some of the ones that can be rough in holding dimensions. Signicast does very nice work. I hate to say it but there are Foundry's in China that are very advanced compared to the previous Foundry's I listed.
The EPA has really put restrictions on Foundry's here. Our Model A Ford Foundry Castings look much better than what I see from Foundry's here is the US, Sand Castings that is.

This is true. Manufacturing in this country is all but finished.

Tod

Tim Ayers 05-19-2015 06:35 AM

This is great news!

Any chance you'll be making some Winfield carbs as well?

Tod 05-19-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1088329)
This is great news!

Any chance you'll be making some Winfield carbs as well?

No time for carbs.

Tod

hotrodA 05-19-2015 08:20 AM

WOW!!!

That video is amazing! What an effort on your part!

Put me down for a header, btw.

Tod 05-19-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodA (Post 1088376)
WOW!!!

That video is amazing! What an effort on your part!

Put me down for a header, btw.

Don't be impressed. It is stupid simple.

I think I have 4 of the 6 headers that are good. They poured the last 2 too cold and got mis-runs. In all, I have 6 I can sell. Unless I screw up the stupid simple machining!

Tod

CarlG 05-19-2015 12:16 PM

Put me on the list for a header (if I'm not already there).

Tod 05-19-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1088518)
Put me on the list for a header (if I'm not already there).

I'm not sure how many people want one right now.

Tod

Tiny 05-19-2015 01:54 PM

That header looks like a quality piece. Still looking forward to those "Winfield" heads