The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Clutch won't disengage (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284614)

asapguy 07-26-2020 03:03 PM

Clutch won't disengage

Just got back from helping a guy that just moved to this area from Montana. He has a nicely restored 29 special cp. with less then 300 miles since resto. A couple days ago he was going about 30-35 mph & down shifted to 2nd gear. Says his foot slipped off the clutch & he was jerked forward. Now the clutch won't disengage. I thought maybe pin sheared in clutch fork but the throughout bearing pushes in on the release fingers & everything looks OK. He had way too much free play so I took up the adjustment & the there is plenty of movement to release the clutch. With the rear wheels off the ground & motor running clutch peddle all the way down it just grinds if you try to put it in gear. I've had Model A's for over 60 yrs. & not had this problem. Any ideas?? Perry

MAG 07-26-2020 04:06 PM

Re: Clutch won't disengage

Remove the floorboard and the inspection plate. Rotate the engine with the crank and look for a Clutch Disc Torsion Spring out of place. If so, bummer!
Some clutch discs have "keepers" over the springs to keep them in place. Some have a internal projection that protrudes inside the spring. It is supposed to keep the spring from coming out. But, having had that experience, they will come out and lock the clutch up.

Patrick L. 07-26-2020 06:00 PM

Sounds like Mag is on the right track.

Did the owner say if there was a difference in the amount of free-play when this happened ?

asapguy 07-27-2020 09:57 AM

He orig. had about 2" of peddle travel before throughout bearing contacted release fingers in the pressure plate. I adj'ed it to about an inch. The fork pushes the bearing in plenty far but the clutch plate never stops spinning. I called & told him to do what MAG mentioned.

PC/SR 07-27-2020 10:21 AM

Try with the 2" or so free play. Try the easy stuff first, and either fix or eliminate that as a consideration.

Patrick L. 07-27-2020 10:42 AM

My question was whether there was a freeplay difference before and after the break/problem occurred.

Jacksonlll 07-27-2020 11:24 AM

Inspect the clutch arm that the pedal linkage pulls on when you push down the pedal. It may be cracked. Common failure.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-27-2020 05:10 PM

Perry, we had 16 model A’s and lee’s 39 on tour Sat up to carnation. I got to wondering how you’re doing. Good to hear your out and about.

eagle 07-28-2020 04:56 PM

As Jackson mentioned, the clutch arm can crack. It will appear to be moving the clutch as normal but won't have enough throw.