The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Color of the engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260524)

Werner 03-17-2019 11:20 AM

Color of the engine

Hello,

is there a RAL standard number for the color of the engine? The spray cans offered for sale in US will not be shipped to D.

100IH 03-17-2019 01:04 PM

Re: Color of the engine

Don't have to be too exact here. The color is green, not a yellow green, rather a slightly blueish green. It may well be, that left over paint colors were mixed to use them up at times. There likely was a standard but paint mixing colors have changed over the years so much that the finish product has shifted as well. In the U.S. a generic name is "Hunter Green".

nick c 03-17-2019 01:04 PM

Ive done this, two part john deere green, one part gloss black, I used the model A paint color guide for the model A, to match it.
carry on

31Abone 03-17-2019 08:15 PM

I painted mine pink with chartreuse poka dots..

jimalabam 03-17-2019 08:51 PM

Why are you answering a good question with non funny nonsense ???

stewgee 03-17-2019 09:23 PM

Mac's Antique Auto Parts sells the original green engine paint in spray bombs. I used it and the finish turned out great.

vernon 03-17-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgee (Post 1737404)
Mac's Antique Auto Parts sells the original green engine paint in spray bombs. I used it and the finish turned out great.

Spray paint can not be ship by air.

Synchro909 03-17-2019 09:51 PM

Most of the advertisements for cars for sale like eBay, show a picture of the motor. The colour is not critical so if you match what you see in those pictures, you'll be near enough IMO.

dean from bozeman 03-17-2019 10:04 PM

Werner, that is an interesting dilemma.

Stores like Home Depot have a machine that will analyze a sample and come up with a matching paint. Would it be possible to obtain locally an original Model A part that has some green paint on it and have its color analyzed and have them make up some paint for you? This is just an idea that came to me. I would imagine that you would have similar technology in Germany.

I imagine that it would be easier and more accurate to obtain a number code for a particular mixture. If neither of them are available, I would follow Nick C's idea.

GRutter 03-17-2019 10:11 PM

The paint is also available in quart cans. As it's not pressurized, you should be able to ship it internationally with no problem.

denniskliesen 03-18-2019 12:24 AM

The Model A Paint and Finish Guide has a chip "Engine Green" in it. If you didn't mind paying the price for the guide, that would get you close to what you want. They do not list a code number.

bucket-o-rust 03-18-2019 12:48 AM

Maybe someone on the Ford barn has a can of engine green. If so maybe they can spray a few coats of paint on a piece of paper then mail it to you in the mail. When you receive it in the mail take it to a paint Store and they will match it for you .

bucket-o-rust 03-18-2019 12:55 AM

I forgot to add take the sample to a paint store the sells auto body repair supplies. Most of them can not only match the paint but put the paint in a spray can for you.

Synchro909 03-18-2019 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRutter (Post 1737424)
The paint is also available in quart cans. As it's not pressurized, you should be able to ship it internationally with no problem.

If it's flammable, it is a no go! Paint is flammable!

jwmckenzie 03-18-2019 06:23 AM

I don't know if this gets you any closer, but..... I painted my '29 Pickup Gunmetal Blue. I needed to do some touchup in an area not visible so I sprayed the spot with some Engine Green. To my surprise it was a near perfect match. I don't know what the code is perhaps the code for Gunmetal Blue is known by someone.

Good luck with your search.

Hoop 03-18-2019 06:38 AM

Deleted

(I tried.)

Werner 03-18-2019 07:11 AM

Hello at all,

I am surprised by the many answers. Thank you very much!

My problem is that I do not know the original engine color. My car engine has a blue-green metallic color. Looks nice, but that's certainly not right.

I am looking for the original color as used in the factory.

Quote:

Maybe someone on the Ford barn has a can of engine green. If so maybe they can spray a few coats of paint on a piece of paper then mail it to you in the mail. When you receive it in the mail take it to a paint Store and they will match it for you.
That would probably be the most accurate way. Unfortunately a bit expensive.

L-head 03-18-2019 08:21 AM

Are there by chance any "A" vendors in the UK on in the Netherlands? They might be able to supply your paint "locally."

ronn 03-18-2019 08:28 AM

I painted mine pink with chartreuse poka dots..

do you also play the accordion? suspect.............lol

Joe K 03-18-2019 08:32 AM

Somewhere, I think among Vince Falter's "Fordgarage" site I think I saw information to colors and numbering of "non-rouge" assembled engines. NOT Ford engine green.

I'm not seeing it now.

Given an "offshore assembly" some more variation in Green (or any other color) might be correct. Our own US Judging Standards doesn't definitely define the color leaving it only to a thought of "All parts were painted together and should match shade and tone."

In fact, even for a Rouge unit engine component for overseas assembly, MORE variation in green might be allowed than normal since likely blocks would have been shipped as "units" and transmission/bell housing/flywheel housing might have been a "different unit" with a different source day and possibly separated by a matter of MONTHS of production variation.

Joe K