The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lowering a 47 sedan super deluxe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117598)

pas47dream 09-17-2013 08:46 AM

Lowering a 47 sedan super deluxe

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys ok I'm a little new to the hole early ford car scene but I just got my grandfathers 47 ford super deluxe sedan project as for I could see his dream leaving the family. A little back round on the car from what I can tell through my research the car is 100% original (paint sheet metal and interior) the body and chrome are in really good shape with no rust any where to be found except the frame rails the interior is shot though after almost 70 years it needs major attention along with the the paint (as far as I can tell its original as well ) now the motor trans and rear end have all been rebuilt by my grand father and if they have 50 miles on them I'd be surprised. My goal with the car is to basically leave it stock repaint it redo the inside strip and repaint the frame and underage but I'd really like to lower the car a little and I'm not really all to sure on the best way to go about it or where I can even find the aftermarket springs. If any one has any advise or knows where I can find some info on it it would be truely helpful

Thanks in advance

Vic Piano 09-17-2013 09:09 AM

Re: Lowering a 47 sedan super deluxe

That's a nice looking car, have fun with it.:) We lowered our '47 Ford Convertible with Posi Springs (Google them for info) Reversed eye springs front & rear.

grumpys hot rods 09-17-2013 09:39 AM

VIC PIANO Do you have a picture of your 47 ford convertible LOWERED ?. I also have a 48 that I would like to lower.

Vic Piano 09-17-2013 10:55 AM

Here is a photo of our '47 Convertible with the reversed eye springs installed.:)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...046/004-16.jpg
I'm also running 15" '46 Merc rims and the radial equivallent of a 7.10x15 bias ply tires. In our Vic's V8 Video series (home video) we shot a program called "From Tops to Tires", in the video we demonstrate how to do the removal of the stock springs and install the reversed eye springs, you can try this at home,;) we did the swap in my driveway! PM me if you'd like a video.

jsemple6392 09-17-2013 11:11 AM

If the car is totally stock and running as well as you say just lower with the bolt-in springs and leave her stock. I'd hate to see another 100% original car get cut up. I made my custom from scratch. It was just a bunch of parts no one thought were good enough for a restoration. A good original is only that way once. I agree that they sit too high and I can understand why you would want it lowered though. Enjoy your early ford!

pas47dream 09-17-2013 12:13 PM

Yea I have no intentions in cutting it all up its a great car I just want to lower it a bit paint it and though an interior kit at her and that's all no custom hot rod stuff

SUHRsc 09-17-2013 12:23 PM

Was this car on Craigslist recently in PA?

pas47dream 09-17-2013 02:07 PM

No it's a michigan car

Old Henry 09-17-2013 02:31 PM

If you're at all old and decrepid like I am you'll appreciate the ease of getting in and out of the standard height of your car. I sure do. Just one of the many reasons I drive mine daily. Compared to falling into the Camry seat and trying to hoist myself up out of it the Ford is a dream.:cool:

Torchie 09-17-2013 04:35 PM

Many different ways to lower your Ford.
15" Merc wheels and reversed spring eye as Vic mentioned.
You can also reverse the spring eye on the original spring.
You can also remove leafs from the springpack to lower and also soften the ride.
You can also go with longer shackles to lower as well.
Most of these methods will lower it one inch or so per change so if you are looking for more than that you will have to do a combination of things.
Beware though that if you try to use too long a shackle it can adversely affect
the driveability of your car.
Have fun with it and keep us posted.
Torchie.

42guy 09-17-2013 06:33 PM

I am not a big fan of longer shackles. I have reversed eye main front and rear and the stance looks great as far as I am concerned.

ironbuttjohn 09-17-2013 07:13 PM

Keep it simple and do it the easy way

1 - 15 wheels, Ford used the 5.5/5 until '59 and latter on some cars, cheap and easy to find.

2 - use shackles 3" longer in the back (you can make your own as it is just a piece of steel with two holes.

3 - Get the posie front spring from Speedway Motors with the 3" drop built in.

That's it. I did it to my '48 @10 years ago and the whole thing cost me about $200. plus you can do it in the driveway in one afternoon.

Good luck