The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   original paint cars (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179137)

FrankWest 09-27-2015 07:29 PM

original paint cars

1 Attachment(s)
Original Paint cars are fascinating even when their paint jobs are tattered and worn. What is it able them that captivates us? I know I love them, but why? I can't figure it out. We should all like a brand new 10,000 paint job, right? Wrong..there is something special about these relics, however worn, that holds out attention. I know in the antique clock business
an aged and even discolored clock face is more desirable than a repainted one. It is as though that clock has earned the aged face which gives it is unique character. I guess the same applies to an antique auto..
Post some photos if you have any.

Jim in Wisconsin 09-27-2015 07:40 PM

Re: original paint cars

15 -20 years ago, it was pretty much a sure thing that if someone was fixing up an old car they would sand off that faded old paint and respray it. Now there are more people appreciating a "survivor" car. I like to see that too, but I don't like to see actual rust holes.
I also don't like the fake "patina" stuff that you see at car shows now. Guys purposly sand off some of the new paint to try and make it look worn - it stands out like a sore thumb.

Vanspeed 09-27-2015 08:32 PM

I have had several original paint fords. I never touch them, any fixes are made to look like it belongs. I agree, I can get severely diverted when I see an original paint car. It speaks in a way. It tells you the life it had and the life that it is going to have after you become the custodian.

Ford Freak 09-27-2015 10:57 PM

There is something mystique about them , but your right , it is hard to explain . I personally love 'em . As they say , " they're only original once " .
Wish I had one .....

Bader 09-27-2015 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're only original once.

SUHRsc 09-28-2015 06:03 AM

Added Lettering
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/IMG_7320.jpg

Hood is different paint
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps3fd824d5.jpg

Terry,OH 09-28-2015 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Each scratch and dent can have it's own history. Each car tells a different story. You can use your imagination to recall each story.

Cecil/WV 09-28-2015 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it looks like it has had a hard life, but it sat from 1972 until 1998 and then the hard life began. Since Oct. 2010, it has traveled in all lower 48 states, 2 times to California and into Quebec. Just returned from S Dakota driving over 4000 miles. Gets lots of compliments and thumbs up and I am sure some ridicule as well. it is like a person, its whats inside (under the hood)that counts.

RalphG 09-28-2015 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They don't get much more original and untouched than my 52 Merc that my dad bought in 1959. It's surface shows the results of sitting outdoors in all weather for the past 45 years.
Here is a photo from a couple of months ago. It took a lot of work, diesel fuel and steel wool to bring out a little shine on the original 'fanfare maroon' paint. Don't look too close at the rust holes though.
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/...psfkdq2oa2.jpg

Cecil/WV 09-28-2015 08:57 AM

Looks good, Ralph. Drive it proudly!

flatheadmurre 09-28-2015 09:01 AM

I just love the cars that tell a story and been a joy for the owners for years.
My trucks are way low on the beauty scale but they still do what they was supposed to after all this years.

TJ 09-28-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil/WV (Post 1163813)
Yes, it looks like it has had a hard life, but it sat from 1972 until 1998 and then the hard life began. Since Oct. 2010, it has traveled in all lower 48 states, 2 times to California and into Quebec. Just returned from S Dakota driving over 4000 miles. Gets lots of compliments and thumbs up and I am sure some ridicule as well. it is like a person, its whats inside (under the hood)that counts.

Cecil, looks like you are parked in front of the American Pickers garage in LeClair, Iowa.

rockfla 09-28-2015 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ford/Mercury Oct 1938 build, Only non original thing is front seat cover, otherwise all original

37 Coupe 09-28-2015 10:41 AM

I agree also that I admire original cars but there is a point when they are really not original anymore. I have seen cars described "as Henry built it", but I cannot imagine that it left the assembly line with four dented fenders and surface rust.

19Fordy 09-28-2015 11:05 AM

I agree with 37 Coupe. A little patina and original paint is nice but there reaches a point where rust and deterioration are no longer venerable and does not do "justice" to the vehicle. Plus, with the high cost of restoration today "keepum like you foundum" is becoming more acceptable.

Tim Ayers 09-28-2015 11:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yep, I also love original paint. Here's mine waaayyyyy too long of a roadster project. The cowl was cut off by the original owner and stored in a damp place.

I got the car from the original owner's family. In '40, he took it off the road, tore it all apart except the cowl. These pictures were taken at Zach's parent's house when he was doing some work on it.

I have the original NJ title and dealer's envelope. No plans to paint it.

alchemy 09-28-2015 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one doesn't have it's original paint anymore. Somebody painted over it about 60 years ago.

V8COOPMAN 09-28-2015 12:18 PM

I could proudly be seen in THIS one 'til the cows all come home for the last time. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...4&d=1443456371

Cecil/WV 09-28-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1163858)
Cecil, looks like you are parked in front of the American Pickers garage in LeClair, Iowa.

That's it, tom!

GB SISSON 09-28-2015 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mine ended up in a junkyard in Minnesota in 1966. It also doesn't sport the original paint as Henry painted it. Someone in the '50s repainted over the tan paint with a green, but most of that has since worn off, revealing the true original paint. The interior is still original except for a couple layers of old rags and burlap over the seat springs. I'm way too cheap to ever do a 'proper restoration'. 4 kids, work with my hands for 44 years and live in a very small community. Wouldn't change a thing.