The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hershey on the West Coast (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270847)

Bob56 10-14-2019 06:02 AM

Hershey on the West Coast

Is there anything like Hershey on the West Coast?

Bob NH 10-14-2019 06:30 AM

Re: Hershey on the West Coast

I had a chance to go to the Pomona swap meet one time and thought that to be great

Terry,OH 10-14-2019 06:39 AM

Hershey, in size, is unique. There are some large swaps on the west coast.

TJ 10-14-2019 08:24 AM

Portland Swap Meet in Portland, Oregon. It happens in April.Never been to Hershey, but Portland can take 3 days to see it all. There's a huge outdoor area at the race track and a big indoor area at the Expo. I've been going since 1980. In total it's a five day event. The second biggest in my opinion is the Big 3 in San Diego in February. It's a three day event. Haven't been to Pomona in the L.A. area in a long time, but I recall it was only a one day event. I do recall it was a big swap meet.

Charlie Stephens 10-14-2019 09:58 AM

Ten years ago it would have been the LA Roadster show on fathers day. Then the club sold the rights to the swap meet to a businessman and it went to hell. Last year the club managed it again and it came back some. I expect it will be good in 2020.

Charlie Stephens

GB SISSON 10-14-2019 10:22 AM

I'm with TJ on the Portland meet. A buddy and I go for the four days, and according to his little device, we walk 10-15 miles a day. Have made some real nice friends there as well as meeting up with the old friends. Never been disappointed.

bobH 10-14-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1809467)
Ten years ago it would have been the LA Roadster show on fathers day. Then the club sold the rights to the swap meet to a businessman and it went to hell. Last year the club managed it again and it came back some. I expect it will be good in 2020.

Charlie Stephens

I'm with Charlie on this. But note... There's Pomona, then there's Pomona on Father's Day weekend. The two are not the same. So, my recommendation is to consider Pomona on Father's Day weekend. For 2018 I thought it was very poor. But, as Charlie said, it came back some for 2019. We hope 2020 will be another good one.

Ronnieroadster 10-14-2019 07:11 PM

Hershey is over 36 miles of vending rows the simple answer to your question is NO

51504bat 10-14-2019 07:30 PM

Big 3 Swap Meet in San Diego late February every year. Great unless it rains. Turlock in January is big also. There is also one in Bakersfield at the drags in April. Mr. Google can help fill in the dates, etc. unless someone chimes in with more info. IMO Pomona isn't worth the time and expense. Lots of toys, yard sale crap, and cheap off shore tools. One more, Long Beach several times a year. Good hunting.

expavr 10-15-2019 12:23 AM

IMO the only West Coast event that comes close to Hershey in terms of number of vendors and quality of parts is the Portland swap meet. The 1940 Tonner followed me home from that meet.

“Hosted annually by six Portland Oregon area antique car clubs, The Portland Swap Meet is the largest auto parts swap meet on the west coast with approximately 3,500 vendor stalls and over 50,000 shoppers each April at the Portland Expo Center.“

I’ve been to San Diego, Turlock and Pomona swap meets and doubt any of the three have more than 1,000 vendors. By comparison Hershey advertises 9,000 vendor spaces.

Frank Miller 10-15-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expavr (Post 1809740)
IMO the only West Coast event that comes close to Hershey in terms of number of vendors and quality of parts is the Portland swap meet. The 1940 Tonner followed me home from that meet.

“Hosted annually by six Portland Oregon area antique car clubs, The Portland Swap Meet is the largest auto parts swap meet on the west coast with approximately 3,500 vendor stalls and over 50,000 shoppers each April at the Portland Expo Center.“

I’ve been to San Diego, Turlock and Pomona swap meets and doubt any of the three have more than 1,000 vendors. By comparison Hershey advertises 9,000 vendor spaces.

Hershey is 9000 vendor spots and approximately 200,000 spectators. Probably have more countries represented than any other meet. So there may be extremely large multi day events but Hershey still rules.

Krylon32 10-15-2019 10:18 AM

While the LARS swap is not the largest, in my opinion after going for over 25 years it seems to have a good selection of rarer hot rod and vintage parts you don't see at other shows.

expavr 10-15-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krylon32 (Post 1809835)
While the LARS swap is not the largest, in my opinion after going for over 25 years it seems to have a good selection of rarer hot rod and vintage parts you don't see at other shows.

Same is true of Turlock. There are still a few vendors who show up with some decent vintage iron.

frnkeore 10-15-2019 01:05 PM

I also go to the Portland Swap Meet. I'm lucky to live within 270 miles of it.

It's a pretty large venue and has 2 area's, the fair grounds buildings and adjacent area, plus the race track Portland International Raceway (PIR), where the Indy Car race is held. They use the two pit areas and a lot of the track, itself. It's a great little track (1.9 mi), I used to race there (SCCA).

I does take at least 3 days to cover it fully but, when I go, I'm looking for something specific so, I go for one day and don't cover areas outside of my interest, like restored cars. I usually find other things, that I can't live w/o too!

My head, hands and feet, never stop moving, from open to close. I've seen things that I never thought I'd get to see and touch, too! And talk about being tired, at the end of the day!!!

http://portlandswapmeet.com/information/info.htm

Bob T 10-15-2019 08:53 PM

Been to them all. Nothing compares to Hershey in size and rare items.

Bob56 10-16-2019 09:54 AM

Thanks all for the replies. Portland is on my calendar for April

TJ 10-16-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob56 (Post 1810169)
Thanks all for the replies. Portland is on my calendar for April

Bob, get your motel room as early as possible. They fill up quick around the swap meet area.

mobileparts 10-16-2019 08:52 PM

The Top Five in terms of actual size are:
# 5 -- Charlotte, North Carolina (the one in spring, not fall)
# 4 -- Carlisle, Pennsylvania (Spring & Fall)
# 3 -- Pebble Beach, California
# 2 -- Daytona, Florida (the Turkey / Thanksgiving show)
# 1 -- HERSHEY, Pennsylvania -- the absolute greatest show on planet Earth!!!!!

Gary in La. 10-17-2019 07:59 AM

Don't forget PATE in Fort Worth, Tx. Spring & fall.

trulyvintage 10-18-2019 03:12 AM

Bakersfield Swap Meet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob56 (Post 1809370)
Is there anything like Hershey on the West Coast?

Take the top 5% of the Best Of Hershey.

That - is Bakersfield Swap Meet in April.

Hosted by HCCA and MTFCA.

The Spring Kickoff for the year.

Family Reunion Time.

Vendors get in line early Thursday afternoon - you can camp in vendor spaces.

Decent showers - food tent.

Kern County Fairgrounds
1142 South "P" Street
Bakersfield, California
Friday, April 17th and Saturday April 18th...Gates open @ 7:00 AM
Phone: 661-706-5263

Jim