The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pronunciations (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258922)

77Birdman 02-08-2019 04:09 PM

Pronunciations

Sorry for this not being model A related, but I hear the tv commentators at the auctions calling this type of vehicle different than I have always said. Like to hear you guys opinions. I am 55 and for my entire life it has always been Willy's (will-eees), the tv guys are now saying (will-iss) What do all of you say. Also, I have noticed whilst watching movies from the 30's-40's that they say
Koo-pay (coupe), I have always said Koop. Again, what is the general consensus.
Thanks in advance

CHuDWah 02-08-2019 04:16 PM

Re: Pronunciations

will-eees and koop - and I'd say the latter is Model A related

Will N 02-08-2019 04:30 PM

That "Willis" pronunciation seem to come from "people in the know" of how Mr Willys pronounced his name. But IMHO, if you want the name to be pronounced "Willis", spell it "Willis". Willys is the spelling of a word that is pronounced "Willees".

Koopay would only be correct if there was an acute accent over the final e in Coupe. There ain't, so it's Koop.

Nuf said.

30 Closed Cab PU 02-08-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will N (Post 1724879)
That "Willis" pronunciation seem to come from "people in the know" of how Mr Willys pronounced his name. But IMHO, if you want the name to be pronounced "Willis", spell it "Willis". Willys is the spelling of a word that is pronounced "Willees".

Koopay would only be correct if there was an acute accent over the final e in Coupe. There ain't, so it's Koop.

Nuf said.

"What you talkin about Willis?" :D

MikeK 02-08-2019 04:50 PM

Languages always evolve, and not necessarily for the better.

The thought of pronouncing the name of a car body style like the name of a chicken habitat gives me the willies.

Chuck Dempsey 02-08-2019 04:57 PM

While we are on the subject, does 'phaeton' have two syllables, or three?

Thanks

Oldbluoval 02-08-2019 05:56 PM

Willys was a motor company founded by John Willys. The name is not a possessive name of Willy's. I've always heard it pronounced as if Willis not like possessive Willie
Just WIK

Pete 02-08-2019 08:03 PM

While on this subject, how about the dipshit announcers on TV pronouncing it "Deezill".
It is not spelled that way and definitely not pronounced that way.

Have you ever noticed how the circle track races almost always have an ex racer to keep the regular TV announcer in line on pronouncing and technical info?

Dick Steinkamp 02-08-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1724951)
While on this subject, how about the dipshit announcers on TV pronouncing it "Deezill".

Here's how Webster pronounces diesel. (click on the little speaker). I'm not sure how that is different from "deezil". How do you pronounce it"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diesel

MickeyT 02-08-2019 08:57 PM

I grew up with Willis but then again I'm from the South and we talk a little different. At least my Yankee wife tells me. The coupe is a koop.

37 Coupe 02-08-2019 09:03 PM

On another note but related Coupe as in Coop? Or Coupe' as in Coopay? Always coop to me like chicken coop but my English teacher 56 years ago said Ward Cleaver was correct Coopay.

Pete 02-08-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1724955)
Here's how Webster pronounces diesel. (click on the little speaker). I'm not sure how that is different from "deezil". How do you pronounce it"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diesel

Webster needs to get out in the real world.
I have been in the industry for 67 years and never heard it pronounced with a "z"
till TV came along.

It is pronounced, dee sul. Accent on "dee".

Synchro909 02-08-2019 09:42 PM

I'll leave you guys to stoush this one out on your own. From our perspective, you don't pronounce much correctly anyway.:D:rolleyes:

updraught 02-08-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1724975)
I'll leave you guys to stoush this one out on your own. From our perspective, you don't pronounce mush correctly anyway.:D:rolleyes:

That's not quite true. They pronounce things how they are written.

Except for "coupe". This has obviously led to much confusion. :confused::eek:

Y-Blockhead 02-08-2019 10:53 PM

Hey, this is fun. Let's try "Houdaille". :p:p

Ted Duke 02-08-2019 10:59 PM

Who dally?

al's28/33 02-08-2019 11:07 PM

we say, WILL-EEES … out here in California

daveymc29 02-08-2019 11:27 PM

And some say Krick for creek. This could cover 90% of the lanuage. Raa diator or Ray diator? And remember there is no "r" in Boston. Nay one!

Synchro909 02-08-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1724978)
That's not quite true. They pronounce things how they are written.

Except for "coupe". This has obviously led to much confusion. :confused::eek:

Potato Tomato

whirnot 02-09-2019 12:07 AM

As far as I am concerned, the willees was parked next to the koop, down by the crick.. let's jump in the fay e ton,
And go see if it's still there.