The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   cross-threaded (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230349)

wingski 10-02-2017 08:49 AM

cross-threaded

As a rule, I use a lot of expletives when I talk. Sooo, I’m sure I sound more intelligent thanI really am on this forum, but there are times when an expletive comes in pretty handy.

One of those times is when I cross-thread something, and that ### fuel line and sediment bowl is an example. I know I’m not as agile as I once was, but getting that brass connector lined up so it fits correctly on the back of the sediment bowl is a real ###. I cross-threaded the thing the day before yesterday and was so disgusted that I took a day off from working on the A. Yesterday, I removed the sediment bowl and strightened those crossed threads and attached the fuel line. It screwed on perfectly, and I was so proud. However, the bowl and line are on my workbench and not back in the car. Now I’ve got to get it all back together without cross-threading the ### thing. My back, my neck, my fingers, and my shoulders are all telling me not to touch the ### thing and get some little guy who could stand up in there and line the thing up correctly. However, I don’t know any little guys.

And yes, I have taken the bottom of the front seat out. And yes, I will take a pain pill before attempting to put it in. And no, the pain pill does not make me goofy.

So there, I’m sooo glad I was able to share all this with you.

Mike

FRANK PKNY 10-02-2017 09:06 AM

Re: cross-threaded

If you haven't been bucked off a horse, you never did much riding. We have all been there!

Floats 10-02-2017 11:42 AM

I feel for you Mike,
These things are sent to try us, hang in there you can do it 😉

JDupuis 10-02-2017 11:48 AM

Jees.... Wish I lived closer Mike!
I'd be there in 2 shakes of a lambs tail! ( there's an old saying)
At 55, I'm still very agile. Lucky me. Jeff

burner31 10-02-2017 11:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
lol

tinkirk 10-02-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingski (Post 1534391)
As a rule, I use a lot of expletives when I talk. Sooo, I’m sure I sound more intelligent thanI really am on this forum, but there are times when an expletive comes in pretty handy.

One of those times is when I cross-thread something, and that ### fuel line and sediment bowl is an example. I know I’m not as agile as I once was, but getting that brass connector lined up so it fits correctly on the back of the sediment bowl is a real ###. I cross-threaded the thing the day before yesterday and was so disgusted that I took a day off from working on the A. Yesterday, I removed the sediment bowl and strightened those crossed threads and attached the fuel line. It screwed on perfectly, and I was so proud. However, the bowl and line are on my workbench and not back in the car. Now I’ve got to get it all back together without cross-threading the ### thing. My back, my neck, my fingers, and my shoulders are all telling me not to touch the ### thing and get some little guy who could stand up in there and line the thing up correctly. However, I don’t know any little guys.

And yes, I have taken the bottom of the front seat out. And yes, I will take a pain pill before attempting to put it in. And no, the pain pill does not make me goofy.

So there, I’m sooo glad I was able to share all this with you.

Mike

just make sure when reinstalling don't tighten anything up until all connections have been made finger tight

H. L. Chauvin 10-02-2017 11:57 AM

Hi Mike,

If you watched the movie, "The Sniper", one can see where the constant use of military expletives were and still are a natural and normal form of military combat speech among U.S. soldiers in these very active life threatening combat areas.

Also, looks like after a soldier in a group of soldiers accidentally hits his thumb with a hammer, a newly creative expletive is far more amusing and comforting than two (2) prescription pain pills ..... may God bless every Model A owner seeking relief!

Simonpie 10-02-2017 02:27 PM

Harry Truman, when he was U.S President, once addressed the Washington Garden Club and kept referring to 'good manure' that must be used on flowers. Some society ladies complained (later) to the First Lady Margaret Truman, "Bess, can't you get the President to say fertilizer instead of manure?"
The First Lady replied, "Heavens, it took me 25 years to get him to say 'manure'."

wingski 10-02-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonpie (Post 1534542)
Harry Truman, when he was U.S President, once addressed the Washington Garden Club and kept referring to 'good manure' that must be used on flowers. Some society ladies complained (later) to the First Lady Margaret Truman, "Bess, can't you get the President to say fertilizer instead of manure?"
The First Lady replied, "Heavens, it took me 25 years to get him to say 'manure'."

Thanks, my wife and I both loved your Truman story. We love to laugh.

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-02-2017 06:13 PM

ANYTHING will go on smoothly, with VASELINE!
Bill Slick

glenn in camino 10-02-2017 07:47 PM

A thread file would probably eliminate this problem.

RUNNERBUN 10-02-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1534648)
ANYTHING will go on smoothly, with VASELINE!
Bill Slick

I just hit my thumb with the hammer and yelled out vaseline several times and it didn't help one bit.

1crosscut 10-02-2017 09:25 PM

For me threading the fittings into carburetors and fuel filters has at times been quite challenging and frustrating.
A little trick that I have found helpful is to start the first fitting in by hand only a short distance leaving plenty of looseness for the fuel line to flop and wobble. This makes getting the other end started easier.
After removing a carburetor from an engine I will loosen the end of the line going into the sediment bowl before attaching the line to the reinstalled carburetor.
Works for me.