The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Switched parking brake lever (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225865)

pgerhardt 08-01-2017 06:21 PM

Switched parking brake lever

1 Attachment(s)
I switched out my parking brake lever to the earlier pistol grip kind. It is much easier on my thumb than the other button kind. I know they were not used in 29, but since they predate the button type it could have been put on by a dealer. I kept the old one so I can always put it back.

RawhideKid 08-01-2017 06:24 PM

Re: Switched parking brake lever

Actually, since your e brake is located in front of the shifter, it could have been either style. My '28 has the same as that in front of the shifter.

pgerhardt 08-01-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawhideKid (Post 1507590)
Actually, since your e brake is located in front of the shifter, it could have been either style. My '28 has the same as that in front of the shifter.

OK, that's interesting. I could not find any reference to a 29 with the early lever.

BTW I always call it a parking brake because I have heard if you try to use it as an e brake you could be in a world of trouble - true - not true?

Bob C 08-01-2017 08:35 PM

The Standards say they went to the button in January 1929.

Bob

RawhideKid 08-01-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1507627)
OK, that's interesting. I could not find any reference to a 29 with the early lever.

BTW I always call it a parking brake because I have heard if you try to use it as an e brake you could be in a world of trouble - true - not true?

Oh, so True, I too have been told this by Randy Gross who rebuilt mine. Let me see if I can find the reference I have for the brake handles.

1955cj5 08-01-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1507627)

I think if you are in a position to need an emergency brake, then the parking brake will do, if you don't happen to have an anchor:)

RawhideKid 08-01-2017 08:55 PM

Well, after looking through what I have, the first mention of the brake lever in front of the shifter is June 28, and there is no other mention until April 29 when it appears the handle was placed to the right of the trans shifter with the push button style. So, do you have any dates on your gas tank? Or do you have the number off the frame or engine to find an assembly date?

If it is between June '28 and April '29, you are good to go with the pistol grip.

Bob C 08-01-2017 09:05 PM

From the Standards 6-7 "From January 1929 through July 1929 the hand brake lever was a push button type and it was mounted forward of the gear shift."

Bob

RawhideKid 08-01-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1507647)
From the Standards 6-7 "From January 1929 through July 1929 the hand brake lever was a push button type and it was mounted forward of the gear shift."

Bob

You are correct, but there is nothing mentioned in the Service Bulletins about the change until April.

denniskliesen 08-01-2017 10:31 PM

In the Restoration Guidelines they refer to it as the "emergency brake", however I prefer to call it the parking brake that doesn't do worth a s##t for parking. this is on page 7-2 Revised 2011 at the top of the page. A lot of details on cross shafts, return springs. Specifically on the first page AREA 7- BRAKE SYSTEM DOES NOT INCLUDE: Emergency brake handle, stop light switch or lights.

I say use whatever suits your fancy. As Bob C mentioned in post #8, from January 1929 through July 1929 push button type. These are just guidelines they use for judging. Myself I like the looks of the handle instead of the button but I'm too cheap to change it right now.

DennisR 08-02-2017 02:47 AM

As a matter of interest is it a straight swap to change the e brake handle so it could be returned to original, I would prefer the early type on my `30 coupe, although finding one over here is unlikely.............

pgerhardt 08-02-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawhideKid (Post 1507642)
Well, after looking through what I have, the first mention of the brake lever in front of the shifter is June 28, and there is no other mention until April 29 when it appears the handle was placed to the right of the trans shifter with the push button style. So, do you have any dates on your gas tank? Or do you have the number off the frame or engine to find an assembly date?

If it is between June '28 and April '29, you are good to go with the pistol grip.

The engine number is Jan 29, while the gas tank date is April 29.

pgerhardt 08-02-2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisR (Post 1507698)
As a matter of interest is it a straight swap to change the e brake handle so it could be returned to original, I would prefer the early type on my `30 coupe, although finding one over here is unlikely.............

Yes but. I had to switch the pawl (which was different) from my button lever to the grip lever to allow it to go forward enough for the Pin to slip back into the parking brake rod. (The "pawl" is the the moving hook part - right?):D

SeaSlugs 08-02-2017 08:01 AM

looks nice, i can deff see how the button type might be hard for some.

FYI to debate over parking brake or emergency brake refer to the owners manual on the 6th page under specifications specifically BRAKES:

Four wheel internal expanding service
brakes operated by the foot brake pedal.
Also an emergency or parking brake on
both rear wheels operated by the emergency
brake lever. The emergency brakes are
entirely separate and distinct from the
four wheel service brakes.

but yes its a one maybe 2 time use emergency brakes before things get bent and bound up...

Ray in La Mesa 08-02-2017 08:58 AM

I too have the pistol grip in front of tranny and love it but used it because I put the manual shift lever for my Columbia two speed two the right of shifter position.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-02-2017 09:12 AM

Vermin is a June '29 & has the pistol grip in the front, out of the way & easy to work.
Bill Screech

CHuDWah 08-02-2017 10:25 AM

I suppose you know the trick of pulling the brake lever back slightly to take pressure off the pawl when you release it - makes it easier to press the button. Works on that type - dunno about the squeeze type.

As for using it as an emergency brake, I remember one time I was doing 35 - 40 in my 30 CCPU - probably a little too fast for the street I was on and the car in front stopped short. I saw the mechanical service brake wasn't going to get me stopped in time so I gave the emergency/parking brake a good yank - locked up the rear wheels real quick! That was a good thing in my case as it saved my front end - or more likely the rear end of the modern tin can car in front of me. But yeah, I can see it might make things worse in a different situation.

DennisR 08-02-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1507717)
Yes but. I had to switch the pawl (which was different) from my button lever to the grip lever to allow it to go forward enough for the Pin to slip back into the parking brake rod. (The "pawl" is the the moving hook part - right?):D

Thanks for that.................

pgerhardt 08-02-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHuDWah (Post 1507791)
I suppose you know the trick of pulling the brake lever back slightly to take pressure off the pawl when you release it - makes it easier to press the button. Works on that type - dunno about the squeeze type.

Yes, but in my case I have to ratchet on the parking brake real tight to get to hold well. So tight, that pulling it back to release the pawl and pressing the button at the same time is difficult. The squeeze grip is much easier. My guess is Ford made the change because the button type was cheaper to produce.

Mad Mac 08-03-2017 12:35 AM

Here in NZ we call them the hand brake and the foot brake. Much simpler.