The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windshield Hinge Lube (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241584)

BillCNC 03-27-2018 12:24 PM

Windshield Hinge Lube

Hello All,

I have my windshield out and am replacing the rubber seals. My windshield hinge is a little stiff and while it's out, I'm wondering what to lube the frame hinge with?

Regards
Bill

desotoguy 03-28-2018 06:56 AM

Re: Windshield Hinge Lube

I rubbed beeswax on my hinge. Since it doesn't have much movement I think it will be sufficient.
You should do a comparison on the new header seal to the old one. I installed my WS with a new, aftermarket seal, and the WS would not fit. Pulled it back out, and find the cross section of the new seal is quite different than the original seal. Don't know where the new seal came from, had it around for some time, but the package is marked with the blue oval

Oldbluoval 03-28-2018 08:19 AM

Desotoguy, where did you get one that fit? I've found most of them are not too good.

wrndln 03-28-2018 08:21 AM

I use 3M Strip Caulk between the hinge and header panel. The caulk doesn't ever harden and is quite similar to dum dum Ford used to prevent squeaking and seal joints.
Rusty Nelson

desotoguy 03-28-2018 08:55 AM

My gasket was a repo from many years ago, fit as original. Until I found my original which I thought had been tossed, I was considering cutting the new gasket into, using the exposed section above the hinge and using a caulking on the mating surface where the screws are.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-28-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1610725)
I use 3M Strip Caulk between the hinge and header panel. The caulk doesn't ever harden and is quite similar to dum dum Ford used to prevent squeaking and seal joints.
Rusty Nelson

How come Henry used the name "DUM-DUM"?---He didn't even know me.
Dum-Dum

SeaSlugs 03-29-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1610860)
How come Henry used the name "DUM-DUM"?---He didn't even know me.
Dum-Dum

ALso makes you wonder what the heck Dum-Dum suckers are made out of...

BillCNC 03-29-2018 01:07 PM

Well,

Pulled the windshield, replaced all the rubber including the header seal which was not installed in the first place.

All went smoothly and took her for a test drive. The Windshield rattled a little when opened but that was quickly remedied with a small O-Ring .0625"x.250"x.375 on each of the inside of the swing arm mounts. My car now only has one noise to fix, ... The rear view mirror needs a shim to shut her up.

BTW - I lubed the windshield hinge with WD-40, ... And is very easy to move, ... almost to easy.

Synchro909 03-29-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1611218)
Well,

Pulled the windshield, replaced all the rubber including the header seal which was not installed in the first place.

All went smoothly and took her for a test drive. The Windshield rattled a little when opened but that was quickly remedied with a small O-Ring .0625"x.250"x.375 on each of the inside of the swing arm mounts. My car now only has one noise to fix, ... The rear view mirror needs a shim to shut her up.

BTW - I lubed the windshield hinge with WD-40, ... And is very easy to move, ... almost to easy.

You might find that WD40 won't last long. If the hinge starts to get stiff again, try using one of those penetrating lubricants. I like the ones containing Teflon (PTFE).

wrndln 03-29-2018 04:52 PM

You might try Lock Ease. It is a graphite liquid that is real slick.
Rusty Nelson

Synchro909 03-29-2018 04:52 PM

Graphite is great too!

walkerlakeprinter 08-05-2019 06:35 PM

Do you think that a thin film of Sta-Lube white lithium grease would work? I separated the hinge and sanded away the rust.