The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Compression test and Vacuum test readings need help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273785)

old31 12-08-2019 03:02 PM

Compression test and Vacuum test readings need help

Can you help decipher what the numbers are saying, and what would you do?

I have a 6.1 head, bcarb, intake bored.

I forgot to put oil in the cylinders after each cylinder test, throttle is wide open, engine is warmed up.

Compression test. 1:100 2: 90 3: 70 4: 70

Vacuum test: Idle 20. At idle the needle bounces quickly between 20 and 22.
High RPM 18

Needle is always steady throughout the test, except at idle

When I let increase throttle quickly it drops to 0 then goes to 25, then back to 20.

alexiskai 12-08-2019 09:27 PM

Re: Compression test and Vacuum test readings need help

Looking at the following guidelines on this page:

Quote:

Gauge will indicate loose valve stem guides when gauge pointer pulsates rapidly at idling speed. This rapid pulsation disappears with the increasing speed of the engine.

Gauge will indicate a choked muffler when engine is speeded up several times in succession and the gauge pointer drops slowly. A clear muffler is indicated by a quick drop to zero.
So the drop to 0 seems like it's normal behavior, and the pulsating at idle could indicate loose valve stem guides.

Mike V. Florida 12-08-2019 10:39 PM

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2019...rmance-issues/

Jim Brierley 12-09-2019 11:26 AM

3 and 4 being lower could mean the head gasket is leaking between the two. Try re-torquing the head first, may need a new gasket? A leak-down test would be more conclusive. If that is the problem, it could also cause the vacuum readings you have.

rocket1 12-09-2019 11:31 AM

I would check compression on cylinders 3 and 4 with oil squirted in cylinder bore,if compression comes up an appreciable amount could be scored cylinder or rings.If there is very little difference possibly worn valve guides,tappet clearance or valves not seating,could also be head gasket between 3 and 4.process of elimination.

old31 12-09-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1829697)

Mike, great article.

old31 12-09-2019 11:54 PM

The head was retoruqed before the test, both hot and cold.

I will redo the test and squirt oil in the cylinders and report back.

old31 12-10-2019 09:54 AM

Follow up:

With oil number 1.90 number 2.90 number 3. 75 number 4. 70
No oil. 100, 90,70, 70.

What does that tell you?

alexiskai 12-10-2019 10:02 AM

Tells you that whatever's causing the disparity in compression numbers between 1/2 and 3/4, it ain't the piston rings.

Big hammer 12-10-2019 11:10 AM

A leak down test will tell you exactly what is going on!! Air coming from carb=intake valve, air coming from exhaust = exhaust valve, air leaking from oil fill= rings, air leaking into an adjacent cylinder= head gasket. If you don't have a leak down gauge I 'am sure a local auto parts store would loan or rent you one.

alexiskai 12-10-2019 11:53 AM

To my knowledge none of the national auto parts chains stock loaner leak-down kits, but you can get one at HF for $30.

Edit: Never mind, apparently the kit is discontinued and I couldn't find a local store that still had one. Now is the time to get this kit if you want it and can find it.

Jim Brierley 12-10-2019 12:27 PM

It is undoubtedly valves. You can just force compressed air into the spark plug hole and listen for where the air leaks out, likely into the exhaust pipe.

The Master Cylinder 12-10-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1830167)
To my knowledge none of the national auto parts chains stock loaner leak-down kits, but you can get one at HF for $30.

Edit: Never mind, apparently the kit is discontinued and I couldn't find a local store that still had one. Now is the time to get this kit if you want it and can find it.

Check Amazon.com. They have numerous Leak Down Testers, from this inexpensive one on up. https://www.amazon.com/GOTOTOP-Compr...00636497&psc=1

old31 12-10-2019 02:10 PM

$23.97 with coupon

https://www.harborfreight.com/cylind...ak+down+tester

Big hammer 12-16-2019 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1830175)
It is undoubtedly valves. You can just force compressed air into the spark plug hole and listen for where the air leaks out, likely into the exhaust pipe.

The first time I became aware of leak down testing I was a teenager. I will never forget, a aircraft mechanic was performing it and I was about to walk into the propeller arch when the propeller spun, OMG it would have made hamburger of me. We had along talk after that, with only 60 psi that he was putting into the cylinder I asked what if I could hold it " being young dumb and strong" he answered no way! No way to put it in gear and choke the wheels like in a model A.

100IH 12-16-2019 04:38 PM

If your compression tester is the kind with a flexable hose and the check valve is at the spark plug end and the gauge can come off you'r in business. Rig up some fittings to put a male air hose fitting where the gauge was and regulate the PSI down to 35 and the rest a matter of getting the hole to be tested up to dead center on the firing stroke. Have the throttle open to hear intake leaks and the oil filler cap off for exhaust leaks.