The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   No spark? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261077)

Licensed to kill 03-29-2019 04:52 PM

No spark?
 

I rebuilt the engine (59A) in my tow truck. It ran pretty good before I pulled it but now, I have no spark. Points are new and set at 15 thou, cap and rotor are new as are the plugs. I had no spark using the condenser that was in it before so I replaced the condenser and still no spark. I had required the truck so, to eliminate any issues there, I ran a jumper wire from the coil to the negative on the battery, no spark. Battery is fully charged and it turns over very well. I'm out of ideas. What am I missing??.

Don 03-29-2019 05:00 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Did you get slot in cam engaged into dist when installing,remove one side of dist,and crank engine,look to see if rotor is turning!!

flatjack9 03-29-2019 05:23 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Is your system positive ground? If so you need to connect the distributor to the positive terminal on the battery.

Licensed to kill 03-29-2019 07:31 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 1741492)
Did you get slot in cam engaged into dist when installing,remove one side of dist,and crank engine,look to see if rotor is turning!!

Yes it's in the slot.

Licensed to kill 03-29-2019 07:36 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1741501)
Is your system positive ground? If so you need to connect the distributor to the positive terminal on the battery.

Yes it's positive ground. Are you saying that I have one wire from the distributor/condenser to one side of the coil and ground the other side of the coil?.

alanwoodieman 03-29-2019 08:08 PM

Re: No spark?
 

which distributor are you using? where is the coil mounted?

Licensed to kill 03-29-2019 08:10 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Crab dizzy, coil mounted up by the oil filter.

JSeery 03-29-2019 08:29 PM

Re: No spark?
 

It is - to the battery & + to the points, but polarity should not cause a no spark condition. Are you getting power to the coil? Is it the correct voltage for the coil you are using?

Licensed to kill 03-29-2019 10:47 PM

Re: No spark?
 

I'm running a wire directly from the coil to the battery and the coil is the same one that came with the truck and it ran before.

Tinker 03-29-2019 10:50 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Dizzy grounds to the engine. Try a frame or body to engine ground strap. For starters.


If you leave straight power to a coil it will burn out.

Tinker 03-29-2019 11:00 PM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licensed to kill (Post 1741546)
Yes it's positive ground. Are you saying that I have one wire from the distributor/condenser to one side of the coil and ground the other side of the coil?.


NO


http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ings_links.htm


http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...electrical.htm


The plus/minus on coils are for polarity. Both will make spark, but one produces better spark.


.

aussie merc 03-29-2019 11:30 PM

Re: No spark?
 

6v/12v postive or neg earth dosent mater heres some quick checks you need a multi meter so check for power at coil in check for power at coil to dizzy then if ok there connect multi meter to dizzy in and earth and rotate slowly ohms reading should go from 0 ohms [pionts closed] to infinate [pionts open] and should repeat cycle as you rotate so if ok check for coil circut ohms readings [ check coil specs they vary] not much else goes wrong then all you need to do is make sure coil suits the voltage and setup [with or without ballast resistor and is poled [installed ] to suit +or- earth [simple check if its running remove a plug lead and place an ordinary lead pencil in the arc if it flares towards the plug polarity is correct ps use gloves it bites ]

aussie merc 03-29-2019 11:39 PM

Re: No spark?
 

just re read your post if the engine was in storage check inside the cap' dust moisture and crap can accumulate and cause the spark to track to earth inside the cap once this happens a carbon track is laid down and all your spark goes straight to ground no fix other than replace the cap and rotor [been caught before]

FlatheadTed 03-30-2019 01:45 AM

Re: No spark?
 

If you haven't a Multy meter as A Merc says, Hold the jumper wire to the body of a bulb (at the coil end ) with the central contact to ground it should light up, if not double check that during the work the battery cables have not been switched at the starter solenoid and ground ,making it a Neg earth ,You could temporary attaché the jumper to x that could get you a spark ,if so if may indicate a fault in the Ing switch ect ..

flatheadmurre 03-30-2019 02:21 AM

Re: No spark?
 

Start by shorting the distributor side of the coil to ground a few quick times...if you get spark from coil it´s most likely points having oxide on them...run a file through points.

JSeery 03-30-2019 09:33 AM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1741597)
If you leave straight power to a coil it will burn out.

That's going to depend on the coil, not all coils require a ballast resistor voltage wise, but very good advice if you are keeping power on the coil when it is not running!!!!

Licensed to kill 03-30-2019 09:46 AM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1741597)
Dizzy grounds to the engine. Try a frame or body to engine ground strap. For starters.

I have good, large ground straps from the engine to the frame and the engine to the body but will check their contacts to be sure.

Quote:

If you leave straight power to a coil it will burn out.
Yes. I do not leave it connected. In fact, the wire is connected to the coil and we just put it on the battery while cranking and leave it off the battery when not running cranking tests.

Licensed to kill 03-30-2019 09:47 AM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie merc (Post 1741610)
just re read your post if the engine was in storage check inside the cap' dust moisture and crap can accumulate and cause the spark to track to earth inside the cap once this happens a carbon track is laid down and all your spark goes straight to ground no fix other than replace the cap and rotor [been caught before]

Cap, rotor, points, condenser and plugs are all new.

JSeery 03-30-2019 09:52 AM

Re: No spark?
 

I agree with post #14 & #15, need to sort out where the issue starts. Before the coil, after the coil, input to distributor, etc. That will tell you what the most likely problem is.

Licensed to kill 03-30-2019 09:53 AM

Re: No spark?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatheadTed (Post 1741627)
If you haven't a Multy meter as A Merc says, Hold the jumper wire to the body of a bulb (at the coil end ) with the central contact to ground it should light up, if not double check that during the work the battery cables have not been switched at the starter solenoid and ground ,making it a Neg earth ,You could temporary attaché the jumper to x that could get you a spark ,if so if may indicate a fault in the Ing switch ect ..

There is no solenoid for the starter. It's direct power form the battery (-), through a starter switch on the floor to the starter. Battery + to frame. I am using a jumper wire from the coil direct to the battery to eliminate any possible ignition switch/wiring issues.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.