The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Americarna (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239739)

Brian 02-23-2018 02:10 PM

Americarna

4 Attachment(s)
I attended this annual event, held over the course of a few days, which celebrates the American car culture. Very few flatties in attendance, of the 800+ vehicles there, at least 200 of them must have been Mustangs. They must be popular??
For me, the highlight of the trip, was discovering an old Ford dealership in a little town called Eltham. Almost 100 years old, it is still owned and operated by the original family. I parked outside to take a photo of my old 35 outside this old building, and the staff came out, we started chatting, which led to a tour throughout the premises. Still very much like back in the day, compare the photos with one taken in the 20's. Line shaft still operates a pedestal grinder and lathe. The battery charging station is out of the ark. The chain block and overhead gantry is as it was in the 20's. A storage area up in the rafters, still has some flathead gaskets etc, there are various hub pullers, sleeve pullers etc. I was blown away that such a place is still in existence, and still trading.

Brian 02-23-2018 02:13 PM

Re: Americarna

6 Attachment(s)
more

Brian 02-23-2018 02:15 PM

6 Attachment(s)
and more...

Brian 02-23-2018 02:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
En route to Americarna, I gassed up the 35 at my local gas station. Parked next to a 34 Lincoln that was returning to the South Island after participating in the 'Art Deco' weekend held in Napier which was totalled in an earthquake and subsequently rebuilt in the Art Deco style of the times. The owner of the Linc was having wheel bearing issues, but refused my offer of help, actually looked down his nose at my 'lowly' Ford , pompous prick!

Bob NH 02-23-2018 02:30 PM

Brian, love your pictures with all the great old tooling. There is an old Ford garage very much like that one on route 100 in Vermont. Built as a barn just in case tractor and autos did not go well they could still store the cows in it. Still operating and we also got a royal tour last year from owners. Quite a bit of original model "A" ads on the walls and I think I remember tin ceilings etc. Great to see !

Brian 02-23-2018 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more I forgot to post; check out the chainblock and gantry!!

petehoovie 02-23-2018 02:39 PM

[quote=brian; the owner of the linc was having wheel bearing issues, but refused my offer of help, actually looked down his nose at my 'lowly' ford, pompous prick! [/quote]

I love it!!!

Vintage Copper 47 02-23-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1596932)
En route to Americarna, I gassed up the 35 at my local gas station. Parked next to a 34 Lincoln that was returning to the South Island after participating in the 'Art Deco' weekend held in Napier which was totalled in an earthquake and subsequently rebuilt in the Art Deco style of the times. The owner of the Linc was having wheel bearing issues, but refused my offer of help, actually looked down his nose at my 'lowly' Ford , pompous prick!

I'll take your Ford over that gaudy beast! :eek:

KGS 02-23-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1596932)
... The owner of the Linc was having wheel bearing issues, but refused my offer of help, actually looked down his nose at my 'lowly' Ford , pompous prick!

Come on Brian, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel...;>))
Ken

cas3 02-23-2018 04:37 PM

wow that must have been fun! how much stuff did you fit in the ford when you left?

rowens55 02-23-2018 04:57 PM

but refused my offer of help, actually looked down his nose at my 'lowly' Ford , pompous prick![/QUOTE]

I agree. His loss...

Brian 02-23-2018 05:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
And if you're wondering why no photos of the actual event- well, you all know what Mustangs look like! Actually, I took very few photos of cars on the runs.

Ian NZ 02-23-2018 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian, I live in Hawera south of Eltham and have bought a lot of parts off Stanners Motors Eltham when Bob & Tom Stanners fathers of the sons that run it now, I think only one of the sons run it now. When they cleaned it out of V8 parts I bought a lot of the V8 parts, & books of them and later on the Distributor stroboscope. They had a bad fire through their place at one time.
We were parked in Hawera during the Americarna in our 1932 - 3/W at the entrance to the main street on Friday and seen your 1935 V8 go past.

koates 02-23-2018 05:13 PM

Thanks Brian for those great photos of that old Ford workshop. Not too many left around now and still working as a garage. I did like the Lincoln though. Owner just having a bad day I guess. Regards, Kevin..

50fordcoupeman 02-23-2018 05:16 PM

Could have asked him which car was driveable..................

flatford8 02-23-2018 05:22 PM

The owner of the Linc was having wheel bearing issues, but refused my offer of help, actually looked down his nose at my 'lowly' Ford , pompous prick!
Who was still getting down the road???? The lowly Ford!!!!!
Nice job on the report and great pics!!..... So thats what my ‘37 pickup is gonna look like?..if I ever finish it!!...... Mark

Lawrie 02-23-2018 05:32 PM

Ian , my uncle Bill lived in Hawera his whole life,an ex POW ,lived in burns street, untill he died he sent money and posum skins to the family in Italy who hid him when he escaped from the POW camp.
His stories from WW2 were something else.
Lawrie

mhsprecher 02-23-2018 06:06 PM

You should have told him that the Model A is a baby Lincoln!

wisbangman 02-23-2018 06:26 PM

My good buddy has a 1934 Lincoln..... and a 37..... and a 39.....and a 67 4 door convertible, and he's not that way. He even lets me park next to him at car shows ! He probably does look down at me though, but I think it's because I have a Standard, instead of a Deluxe....... Did I mention he also has a 35 pickup?

Graeme / New Zealand 02-23-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGS (Post 1596954)
Come on Brian, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel...;>))
Ken

Us kiwis are not known for not holding back...good on ya Brian.

GB