The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Motor City Flathead Oil Pump (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267911)

qmdv 08-14-2019 06:55 PM

Motor City Flathead Oil Pump

This project of mine has taken many many years. Business and family and of course some other forms of fun have gotten in the way. I think about 30 years ago I bought a an oil pump from Motor City Flathead. It came with a remote oil filter and various hoses and instructions. In short you drill a hole in the pan and run a hose from the pump to an oil filter and from there externally to the back of the engine and into the oil gallery.

At idle it runs about 30 pounds and and going down the road it runs 65 pounds. Never seen those pressures on flatheads before. anybody else running one of these pumps

https://i.imgur.com/7ZLT22Jl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ooOZ0oQl.jpg

quickchange34 08-14-2019 06:59 PM

Re: Motor City Flathead Oil Pump

Yes that is about normal for a full flow system. They work great.

qmdv 08-14-2019 07:32 PM

Delete

uncle max 08-14-2019 07:36 PM

Been using one for 18 years; no worries!

Fordestes 08-14-2019 08:14 PM

I have one and have not used it yet , how are the push lock lines from the pump inside the pan holding up ? I was thinking about using Aeroquip steel braid and A.N fittings instead , did you fellows change out the push lock lines for steel braided lines with screw on fittings , or am I worrying for no reason ? does there need to be a check valve and filter bypass installed also ?
Thanks, fordestes

qmdv 08-14-2019 08:42 PM

As I recall it came with braided in the pan. I used braided and AN fittings on the outside. As you can see I used aircraft grade heat shield (fire sleeve) from filter to rear of block.

Fordestes 08-14-2019 08:53 PM

Sounds like what I need to use , my kit was supplied with a push lock hoses on the inside, I think I'll go to the aircraft type hose and fittings too.

flatjack9 08-14-2019 09:43 PM

Mine is 20 or so years old. Has braided line in the pan and push lock outside. Never have had a problem.

qmdv 08-14-2019 10:48 PM

If I had a big engine compartment I would have used the push lock. In a 32 there are not many options as to filter mounting and hose routing. That is why I used braided and fire sleeve

Bored&Stroked 08-15-2019 07:49 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I have a very similar setup to the MC one - though mine was made in the last few years and I like the design. My quandary was what to do about the dang filter . . . just couldn't see myself with a modern full-flow type setup anywhere in the engine compartment - yet I wanted to be able to change it and not have to crawl under the car.

So I did a bit of Imagineering and came up with this concept to modify an old Fram setup to use a modern filter (hidden in it - was an evenings work), but the results are about as good as I could come up with. Very few people would think that this was not a stock add-on oil filter setup.

Yes, the filter is upside down, but the cannister has a drain in the bottom and with a few rags, I clean the cannister out. Hell, I only change the oil-filter once a year, so I live with the inconvenience as the 'look' was important to me.

Attachment 404280

Attachment 404281

Attachment 404282

Attachment 404283

Attachment 404284

Attachment 404285

Attachment 404286

19Fordy 08-15-2019 08:20 AM

Your concealed filter inside the OEM canister is a great idea. Looks great too.

qmdv 08-15-2019 08:49 AM

I have an old toilet paper filter I could have used HAHA

outlaw 08-15-2019 09:08 AM

Dale, I bought a Hildebrant filter assembly that is a finned unit kind of like a bee hive filter. It uses a spin on filter like the one that you made. Not cheap, but has the hot rod look that I want & the filter is mounted so that it spins on from the bottom.

Bored&Stroked 08-15-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaw (Post 1788222)
Dale, I bought a Hildebrant filter assembly that is a finned unit kind of like a bee hive filter. It uses a spin on filter like the one that you made. Not cheap, but has the hot rod look that I want & the filter is mounted so that it spins on from the bottom.

Yes - those look great . . . depending on the build period you're trying to "conform" too (more 50's and 60's).

I was trying to stick to early 40's in "style" (as much as possible). I don't really like my black braded lines on my filter - need to make some hard lines for it - just haven't gotten around to it. :mad: Too busy building a new rear end, new front end and new hydraulic brakes . . . and I'm way behind as usual. LOL

Ol' Ron 08-15-2019 09:32 AM

The MC oil pump is an old design and does work very well. a friend of mine had one made for him from an article in a old car Mag,, Being Lazy I went with the 95% style (original Ford). However, I really like your filter design, Good thinking, well done. I usually place the filter behind the steering box, where it easy to change when draining the oil. Good work.

bluardun 08-15-2019 09:38 AM

Mark Kirby owns Motor City Flatheads. All of his products and engines are a great improvement, the best. Well engineered and built. Still in business.

RalphM 08-15-2019 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used the Hildebrant set up from OBrian Truckers as well.
Push lock fittings. Mounted on right side of firewall. Works well.

Tim Ayers 08-15-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluardun (Post 1788232)
Mark Kirby owns Motor City Flatheads. All of his products and engines are a great improvement, the best. Well engineered and built. Still in business.

Is Kirby still in business? I know he was working through Shadow Rods, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Do you have any current contact info for him or his operation?

Thanks,

JM 35 Sedan 08-15-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluardun (Post 1788232)

I think that's past tense on "owns" and "still in business", but the rest of your message is right on the money.

I put one of Mark's FF oil filter systems on my Avatar 35 fordor about 12 years/33k miles ago and it still works well, providing the same oil pressure as mentiond in first post.

After Mark went out of business, there were some copies of his FF system on the market, but I don't know if they are still available.

V8 Bob 08-15-2019 11:56 AM

Mark's business "Motor City Flathead" ceased around 2006 if I remember correctly, but most of his parts are now available from Phil Goller at Goller's Hot Rods in Defiance OH, including the full flow pump kits.
Mark does work with Shadow Rods, mainly on the alloy flathead that is now in Mark's "new" '53 Ford test car, built by Phil.