The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any visual difference between cut out and electronic regulator? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269703)

johnbuckley 09-19-2019 02:41 PM

Any visual difference between cut out and electronic regulator?

How can you tell the difference between 1) a simple mechanical cutout 2) an electronic regulator and 3) a cutout that's got a diode in it . Is there any simple way of checking what's inside them without taking the top off or watching the ammeter to see how they perform?

Kurt in NJ 09-19-2019 03:37 PM

Re: Any visual difference between cut out and electronic regulator?

With a meter on regular cutout "B" terminal should be open to the case, and other terminal
The "A"should have resistance to the case, open to B

A diode cutout should be open to the case from either terminal, and should test like a diode between A,B, --- the direction of flow depends on pos--- neg ground

Never tested or took apart a fun project regulator, but I suspect some reading in all directions

Gary WA 09-19-2019 09:32 PM

No can't see it

w.michael 09-19-2019 10:49 PM

My units from Fun Projects have a sticker on the bottom side. Take the "cutout" off the generator and see if it is marked or stickered on the bottom.

W. Michael

johnbuckley 09-20-2019 03:17 AM

Thank you all.

tmiller6 09-20-2019 07:32 AM

If it is a Fun Projects voltage regulator, John Regan the manufacturer said this in 2011 on the MTFCA forum.:

“All of our voltage regulators are easily discernible as to 6,8, or 12V as follows:

On the underside of the base the 8V units are stamped with a letter "A" while 12V units are stamped with a letter "B". No stamp at all and it is then a 6V unit. Positive ground Voltage Regulators have a steel washer in place of one of the center insulating washers. As pointed out - a rivet in one of the center locations designates that it is a cutout. Hope this helps.”

Look for a steel washer and no rivets in the center.

John Dayhuff 09-21-2019 02:59 PM

When I recently replaced my original cut out with a new diode one I used the old cover on the new cut out and painted the legs of it black. You can't tell the difference that it's been changed.

redmodelt 09-21-2019 08:34 PM

If there is no letter (I have a 6V positive ground diode type with no letter) on the bottom what I have picked up; (funprojects) there is a laser cut "V" on the bottom, if it is bent up it is a regulator, if left flat with bottom it is a diode type. If it out of warranty, take the cover off and look. They didn't make a lot of "CUTOUT" types as they were meant for cars that got driven much (more show then go).