The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ignition cable through firewall (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307025)

Billybob57 11-28-2021 05:10 PM

Ignition cable through firewall

I'm installalling a new ignition cable from the distributor but having a hard time getting it to go straight into the firewall junction box because the armor coating is so stiff. Any suggestions?

Robert/Texas 11-28-2021 05:22 PM

Re: Ignition cable through firewall

Spray some silicone lubricant on it and try again.

Chuck Dempsey 11-28-2021 05:23 PM

I've started by attaching at the dash first, then threading DOWN to the distributor. I unbolt the distributor and remove it, attach the cable, and then reinsert the distributor.

Worked for me, anyway. Good Luck!

Tom Endy 11-28-2021 06:03 PM

Light coat of Vaseline on the rubber gromet also works.

Tom Endy

Big hammer 11-28-2021 08:25 PM

The after market repop is too stiff and too long, I cut it shorter just passed the firewall, put it into the junction box and thread it into the dizzy no clamp. 3 turns in the dizzy!

Incognito-A 11-28-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey (Post 2080354)
I've started by attaching at the dash first, then threading DOWN to the distributor. I unbolt the distributor and remove it, attach the cable, and then reinsert the distributor.

Worked for me, anyway. Good Luck!

If you look at assembly line footage you will see that the instrument cluster and ignition cable is installed in the body before it’s dropped onto the frame. I think Chuck has the right idea.

ericr 11-29-2021 11:15 AM

just curious, are you guys all talking about the nu-rex repro of armored cable? I would never would have guessed it would be so stiff, just like the repros of the entire ignitition switch we used to get back in the 1960s that was made in Spain. it was almost too frustrating to use.

Billybob57 11-29-2021 11:20 AM

I got mine at Mikes and it is VERY stiff!

nkaminar 11-29-2021 11:35 AM

Remember to use the grommet at the junction box so that the terminals do not short to the cable. You can cut the grommet lengthwise on one side to put it over the cable after the cable is inserted.

Billybob57 11-29-2021 12:33 PM

Is the ignition cable supposed to enter the firewall junction box at at 45 angle or straight on?

Joop 11-29-2021 01:09 PM

Upload did not work

dmaxweb 11-30-2021 09:04 AM

I have a look-a-like pop out switch and the thin cable to the distributor.. I've tried a couple of repro armored cables and they are way too stiff. I'd like to find an original cable with a good distributor end. I want to keep the look-a-like switch so I don't need the head on the cable. Anybody have one?