The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   adjustable lifters (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272036)

rocket1 11-02-2019 06:05 AM

adjustable lifters

I found a few of the lock nuts loose on the adjustable tappets,I doubt if they were properly tightened down.I found that I was not able to get a wrench on the machined part of the tappet because it did not come far enough out of the lifter bore,I removed the head and valve springs to be able to lift the tappets higher out of the bore to be able to get a wrench on the flattened part of the tappet.I was then able to set the clearance.What is normally done when using adjustable tappets,are the lifter bores cut down?

Steve Plucker 11-02-2019 07:10 AM

Re: adjustable lifters

I had to take a open end wrench and grind the open end down enough to slip into the lifter just enough to grab the nut without removing anything.

The original adjustable lifters that were in it before I had it redone were of better quality and I did not have to do that...Of coarce they got replaced with the ones I have in there now.

Pluck

Bob Bidonde 11-02-2019 07:12 AM

Rotate the crankshaft to set the clearances, and rotate it more to tighten the lock nuts. No need to take the cylinder off for this operation.

Jim Brierley 11-02-2019 11:03 AM

Some guys cut down the lifters, I prefer not to. Do as Bob says, it takes time but is still quicker than pulling the head. On a new engine I adjust them before I install the pistons, making it easier to turn the engine. I pre-adjust them without springs, pulling the lifters up with needle-nose pliers to adjust. I re-check them with the springs installed.

rocket1 11-02-2019 03:14 PM

I was just looking through Les Andrews book and it stated the stainless valves should be cut down a quarter of an inch from the end to allow for proper adjustment,this would have allowed me to access the machined part of the lifter for my wrench to fit on.

Tom Wesenberg 11-02-2019 03:51 PM

I do the same as Jim and Bob. Never remove the head unless there is a REAL need to.

Kohnke Rebabbitting 11-03-2019 01:06 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket1 (Post 1816750)
I found a few of the lock nuts loose on the adjustable tappets,I doubt if they were properly tightened down.I found that I was not able to get a wrench on the machined part of the tappet because it did not come far enough out of the lifter bore,I removed the head and valve springs to be able to lift the tappets higher out of the bore to be able to get a wrench on the flattened part of the tappet.I was then able to set the clearance.What is normally done when using adjustable tappets,are the lifter bores cut down?

You done what is normal here.

We don't adjust with springs on.

Pull the lifter up, put on the wrench to the lifter body, push in to hold the lifter up, take the other wrench for the nut, and bolt, and adjust the lifter, slip the valve down, take a clearance reading. When done, move to a new valve, with the spring.

We turn each cam toe down, in turn. Easy job.

Herm.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-03-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting (Post 1817078)
You done what is normal here.

We don't adjust with springs on.

Pull the lifter up, put on the wrench to the lifter body, push in to hold the lifter up, take the other wrench for the nut, and bolt, and adjust the lifter, slip the valve down, take a clearance reading. When done, move to a new valve, with the spring.

We turn each cam toe down, in turn. Easy job.

Herm.

Looks like some white stuff on the adjuster threads. If yes, what do you use?

Great idea, using a steering wheel.:)