The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who Remembers Model "A" Parts in the Sears Catalog? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272639)

rogerkb1936 11-21-2019 07:56 PM

Re: Who Remembers Model "A" Parts in the Sears Catalog?

I have a montgomery ward catalogue around here somewhere, that is completely devoted to model a

Dave H 11-21-2019 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward, Pep Boys catalogs from the post production days of the Model A all had at least some Model A parts.
A western auto catalog listing cars up through 1936 had a half dozen dedicated pages plus more parts in generalized areas. Some prices were: king pin sets, 79 cents, 10 leaf front spring, $1.49, popout with 2 keys, 79 cents, and on and on. Ford part numbers were used.
The 1932 Pep Boys catalog had no pages especially dedicated to Model A's, but parts were scattered among numerous pages. lots of aftermarket accessories, a variety of schlock stuff, maintenance products, misc. cheapo items. Usually a price leader, they beat Western Auto's 10 leaf front spring price by 4 cents. A complete "heavy grade" top for '28-'29 roadsters was $3.59.
The 1943 spring and summer Sears catalog had quite a few pages of car parts which included those for A's; rebuilt shocks @ $1.25 each and transmission cluster gears for $4.19.
The fall and winter 1971 Wards catalog still had a few A parts. I found pistons for $5.28, mufflers for $9.98 and batteries for $10.45.
Those were the days.

noyo55 11-22-2019 01:43 PM

I got married in 1966, my wife was working at Sears in the office. I bought a set of tires from them we even got a slight discount. I still have them on a set of wheels.

Ray in La Mesa 11-22-2019 08:38 PM

I neglected to include the cost of my Sears rebuilt engine in 1964, it was $125 for a short block.

Osage Orange 11-22-2019 11:32 PM

Back in '68 the Sears and Wards warehouses were just a few blocks from each other in Kansas City's Northeast neighborhood. I bought tires and a muffler from them, but don't remember which. Pace's Auto Parts on Independence Ave. in the same neighborhood also carried Model A parts. But I bought re-babbited rods, adjustable tappets, new rings, friction shocks and lots of other stuff from J.C. Whitney by mail. Rick's Antique Parts, in nearby Roeland Park, also specialized in Model A stuff, so some of my money went there, too.

J Franklin 11-23-2019 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo (Post 1821399)
What's a Sears catalog.....................?

Ancient Amazon style merchandizing.

updraught 11-23-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1824279)
Ancient Amazon style merchandizing.

What's Amazon?

Keith True 11-23-2019 09:06 AM

In the early 70's I was doing the engine in a Volvo PV 544.The foreign car guys all harped on me,you HAVE to buy OEM parts,no aftermarket for the Volvo.The guy that bored the block for me gave me the best advice.He told me to ignore them,and just buy my parts from JC Whitney.The parts were 1/4 the price of Volvo.He said I would crack it up or roll it over long before I wore the engine out.I was surprised when every part I got from Whitney was OEM Volvo.The machinest wasn't surprised a bit.I still have a bunch of used Model A parts that were bought from JC Whitney.I have a steering box/column/wheel with mailing tags all over it from them.The box end of it is still wrapped up in burlap.I have never unwrapped it to see just how tight it really is.

J Franklin 11-23-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1824286)
What's Amazon?

Known as Amazon.com. You order it from a screen catalog and they ship it to you. Basically just like Sears and Montgomery Ward.

ericr 11-23-2019 09:27 PM

I've been rather surprised at the interest and nature of comments on this topic. Looks like some of us are nostalgic about the society we used to know; but no denying there were major flaws in those days.