The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any clues on light switch stiffness? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239571)

daveymc29 02-20-2018 02:50 PM

Any clues on light switch stiffness?

I am rewiring one of my A's. The switch would seldom turn (in the center of the steering wheel) and the few times I got it to move it blew a fuse or tripped my breaker. Before installing the new wiring harness I tried the new harness with the old switch and though it moves better it isn't a whole lot better than the old one. The new wires look more intact and I turned the lower bushing on the steering gear so that now the bail locks the switch from the bottom instead of the top. (Turned the bushing so the slot for the switch is on the bottom, it had been on top.) Just wondering if anyone else has suffered with a stiff switch and how they got it to loosen up? Lube, what kind and where did you put it, it you did? With the switch removed the light and horn rod spin freely and don't appear to be the wrong length or bent in any way.

SeaSlugs 02-20-2018 04:20 PM

Re: Any clues on light switch stiffness?

Are you sure your switch is an origonal? some of the repops have too pointy and too small of contacts so they seem to lock in tighter to the concave contacts on the harness.

If it is original and your sure your horn rod is the right length then some use dielectric grease on the contacts.

daveymc29 02-21-2018 12:21 AM

I wondered about dielectric grease. The tube says it has an insulating quality. Seems to me that isn't what I want there. I'm fairly sure the switch is original though the wiring is not. I got that from Sacto Vintage where I understand make there own harnesses in house. I used some paraffin and that seems to have helped out. I found the headlight socket piece to have such large ends on the wires that the two wires when pushed back by the bulb, contact each other. The wiring in the right hand bucket was incorrect, high beam where the running lights should be and running light and low beam wired into the headlight bulb holder. I'll fix that tomorrow with a bit of heat shrink and filing the contacts. Probably have to use a stone as they appear to be stainless. Should buy new bulb holders but I read the are also foreign made and "fair" quality. My fix will probably be a step above fair quality. I like the vendors that are honest enough to warn you before hand, but wonder why they don't insist on a better product. I guess we are just too cheap to make that good business sense?

Eric Lewis 02-21-2018 07:06 AM

I just installed a new harness on my A yesterday, the new switch block was thicker then the old one and when installed prevented the switch from turning, I removed 1/32" from the back side (where wires attach) and all worked well when installed.

SeaSlugs 02-21-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1595872)
I wondered about dielectric grease. The tube says it has an insulating quality. Seems to me that isn't what I want there. I'm fairly sure the switch is original though the wiring is not. I got that from Sacto Vintage where I understand make there own harnesses in house. I used some paraffin and that seems to have helped out. I found the headlight socket piece to have such large ends on the wires that the two wires when pushed back by the bulb, contact each other. The wiring in the right hand bucket was incorrect, high beam where the running lights should be and running light and low beam wired into the headlight bulb holder. I'll fix that tomorrow with a bit of heat shrink and filing the contacts. Probably have to use a stone as they appear to be stainless. Should buy new bulb holders but I read the are also foreign made and "fair" quality. My fix will probably be a step above fair quality. I like the vendors that are honest enough to warn you before hand, but wonder why they don't insist on a better product. I guess we are just too cheap to make that good business sense?

Its a good thing the grease is insulating - the switch contacts themselves go right thru the grease but it also lubricates the mechanical properties of the switch themselves. Your supposed to use it on all light bulbs as well so they dont get corroded in the sockets. oxygen is what reacts and starts corrosion - if theres an ever so thin layer of grease it cant happen. Vaseline, dielectric grease, bulb grease - all about the same things.

Hmm SVF I've heard does make the best wiring harness.

In the small flat of the main switch on the outside there should be a B&S stamped in it.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-21-2018 05:41 PM

Side note: Some think steering box oil leaks into light switch screws it up. Others say it makes it work smoother. WHO in the HELL do you believe???---LOL or NLOL???
Bill Confusedstill??

Eric Lewis 02-21-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1596202)
Side note: Some think steering box oil leaks into light switch screws it up. Others say it makes it work smoother. WHO in the HELL do you believe???---LOL or NLOL???
Bill Confusedstill??

Don't know who to believe will see how it plays out and see what experience has to say. Look forward to you witticisms Bill

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-22-2018 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lewis (Post 1596276)
Don't know who to believe will see how it plays out and see what experience has to say. Look forward to you witticisms Bill

Isn't it FUNNY, Eric, the things we hear? A Friend is SCARED to put Float-A-Motor mounts, he says that on a QUICK stop, the fan will GRIND up the RADUMATOR---LOL
Bill Brave