The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Bearing Method Announcement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67038)

Kevin in NJ 04-01-2012 08:00 AM

New Bearing Method Announcement

Well the Patent had been issued and we will be licensing our new low cost Aluminum bearing process.

The cost and poring method of true babbitt is just not sustainable so we have been working in secret in a new low cost and super reliable bearing pour method. Using commonly available metals, all recycled, and some modern fabrics we can put bearings in that will last at least 102,000 miles with no wear.

The process for making the metal is simple. I will outline the process, but not tell you the secret ingredients. You have to start with about 300 Pepsi cans and 45 Aluminum food containers (it has to be a special brand for the specific metal contents). You need to melt it down and flux it and then cool it for 3 weeks to grow crystal structures properly.

The bearing saddles are prepped by tapping them for 10-32 screws. We will be selling a special mesh made of a modern polymer that will hold the aluminum to the saddles. You screw the mesh down and it acts like rebar in concrete and will hold the bearing in place. You only need 2 common 10-32 screws.

Pouring is easy. Just heat up the metal you made previously till it is nice and liquidy. Put your standard molds in place and pour. No pre-heating is needed. The mesh and surface tension will pull the aluminum down in for a perfect pour every time.

Then you use any line boring set up and finish like babbitt.

Using a modern polymer additive to the oil you are good to go. Without this additive the bearings will tear up the crank in about 50 miles. In our first testing we connected the engine up to a generator with about 75% loading and ran it for 6000 hours. The initial tear down could find no wear in the bearings. The engine was then placed in our modern car test bed. We put the engine in a 1983 Mercedes 300SD and had a friend drive the car on his daily local delivery route. Lots of stop and go driving. We only added oil as needed, no oil changes. After the 102,000 miles we pulled the engine and found only .001" wear and the crank was mirror smooth. That was with no oil filter.

The only thing preventing us from licensing our technology is the funding for the EPA certification. Under the rules we need to do a 3 year environmental impact study. We are currently seeking the approximately 3.2 Million dollars it will cost to fund the study.

Happy April 1st day!

Elcastor 04-01-2012 08:31 AM

Re: New Bearing Method Announcement

I think one of the special ingredients was the requirement to first drink plenty of tequila!

Terry, NJ 04-01-2012 09:02 AM

Kevin, If you're not aware of it, Machinery's Handbook gives quite a bit of info about bearings, babbitt, lead etc, percentages temperatures, duration times. At the time of the publication of my edition, 14 th edition, 1949, babbitt bearings were still in use. Later editions may not contain this much info. Did you get the engine on a Dyno and test the power output? Also, how do you defeat the aluminum oxidation problem! A closed furnace with inert gas?
Terry

JoeWay 04-01-2012 09:10 AM

...Let''s see---where's my calendar...hmmm...

Joe

Kurt in NJ 04-01-2012 09:24 AM

The secret ingerdiant is the food remmants in the aluminum containers, certain ethnic foods grown under a rare combination of enviromental conditions inhibit the oxidation.

Purdy Swoft 04-01-2012 09:53 AM

April fool???

Jim Brierley 04-01-2012 10:47 AM

I hope its not an April fools joke, I'm looking for my monopoly money to invest!

Pilotdave 04-01-2012 10:58 AM

Definitely an April Foolsjoke. :)

TinCup 04-01-2012 11:01 AM

Aluminum food containers=Spam

just plain bill 04-01-2012 11:05 AM

Can't believe I read the whole thing!

Richard/Ca 04-01-2012 11:25 AM

Does it take any special soda can like Pepsi or coke or can you use any brand? Nice April fool story I would be glad to help you out. Which way did you come in?

Crazydaddyo 04-01-2012 11:36 AM

The secret ingredient is Dryer Sheets.

Richard/Ca 04-01-2012 11:49 AM

Really I gots a bunch of them blowed up against da fence in my back yard. Any body want'em?

Oakridgeacres 04-01-2012 11:55 AM

I learned something new today, don't be so gullible. Being a new member, I read all that may pertain to me now or in the future. I must say you reeled me in big time! Thanks again for a good laugh, and all the past wonderful good information.

Ca. Kid 04-01-2012 12:12 PM

:DGood one! Best April fools joke I have seen/heard all day!!

pat in Santa Cruz 04-01-2012 01:07 PM

I'm betting the secret ingredient is fools gold

Keith True 04-01-2012 01:12 PM

The last paragraph isn't an april fools joke though,it is probably very accurate.

Terry, NJ 04-01-2012 03:50 PM

Jeeez! I hate april first! Every year it's the same thing! The suckerbait snagged me again!
See ya next april, dammit!
Terry

James Rogers 04-01-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard/Ca (Post 398077)
Does it take any special soda can like Pepsi or coke or can you use any brand? Nice April fool story I would be glad to help you out. Which way did you come in?

Bud Light!

ctlikon0712 04-01-2012 04:29 PM

The Russians used a different ingredient in their GAZ engines Babbitt. Vodka!
Good one Kevin!