The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Distributor clearance to cam shaft 32-48 ?? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251687)

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-19-2018 02:44 PM

Distributor clearance to cam shaft 32-48 ??

1 Attachment(s)
After building a large number of these over the years ( shipped 350 last year) i thought i had seen every failure mode in the books.
I just received a box with some crab distributors in it , all had my decal on them , meaning i had built and shipped them to customer. ( one of my very best customers etc , have done tons for this guy)

Further examation shows engine end with slotted tang , smoked and burned up!! Bushing was smoked, shafts had turned blue and they were a mess!! No note in box , just a business card etc. I thought this issue over for a few nights wondering if this was a problem on my end, so i sent them a email saying i had never seen this type of problem . Seemed to be clearance or lack of oil ???

Customer responded right away , sorry meant to ship with a note , these were all new engine builds with a aftermarket camshaft that was machined too long, took a couple before i caught it, just repair and return.
WOW thanks for the relief!!

Warning here is using a different cam in your flathead build be careful on distributor install etc......

RalphM 09-19-2018 03:35 PM

Re: Distributor clearance to cam shaft 32-48 ??

Wow! Would have never guessed that could happen. Wouldn’t you feel it when tightening the dist down?

Mart 09-19-2018 03:56 PM

I have a Schneider cam where the slot is machined with the incorrect offset. I ate up a couple of bushings before I worked out what was happening. I welded up the tangs on the distributor shaft and filed them to match the cam. It has worked, but is a pain as the distributor is now a "special" and will not now fit my Churchill timing fixture.

Mart.

Lawrie 09-19-2018 04:30 PM

Fit the bush too tight on the shaft and it will do 4000klms ,then get a squeak in the front of the engine,still run fine ,bush will seize to the shaft and then spin in the housing.
I know,
So now I need another 11a shaft and advance unit.
Lawrie

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-19-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 1676867)
Fit the bush too tight on the shaft and it will do 4000klms ,then get a squeak in the front of the engine,still run fine ,bush will seize to the shaft and then spin in the housing.
I know,
So now I need another 11a shaft and advance unit.
Lawrie

Lawrie , I was set to do that for you ages ago, pm your address and i will get it done this time..

Jim @ Bubbas

Lawrie 09-20-2018 02:50 AM

Thanks Bubba,
Lawrie