The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hub cap painting advice (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306402)

rockfla 11-12-2021 04:05 PM

Hub cap painting advice

ANYONE painted their own hub caps with a brush and "One Shot" with good results??? What do you recommend OR how did you achieve a quality result???

Thanks
Rockfla

Kube 11-12-2021 04:32 PM

Re: Hub cap painting advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2075655)
ANYONE painted their own hub caps with a brush and "One Shot" with good results??? What do you recommend OR how did you achieve a quality result???

Thanks
Rockfla

Many times. Thin the One Shot with their reducer. It'll flow out nicely - zero brush marks.

rockfla 11-12-2021 04:42 PM

Thank's Mike, did you use a kafka brush?? ALSO how thin did you get your paint? To like water consistency??? OR somewhere in between??

Kube 11-12-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2075666)
Thank's Mike, did you use a kafka brush?? ALSO how thin did you get your paint? To like water consistency??? OR somewhere in between??

Short camel hair brush. Thicker than water.
Perhaps try a bit on something you can toss to see how fast you are and how thin you need it.

1948F-1Pickup 11-12-2021 05:49 PM

Last ones I did were sprayed. Significant time spent masking and merely seconds spraying.

GB SISSON 11-12-2021 08:01 PM

I have painted quite a few with a brush. I always sand the letters very carefully with 220 or so before applying paint. I have never seen any sign of sanding under factory paint. I would like to try the One Shot paint as I have heard good things about it.

52flthed 11-18-2021 05:50 PM

I did mine with one shot using their thinners an additives for better flow.

52flthed 11-18-2021 06:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here’s some pics. I couldn’t eliminate every brush mark but it’s pretty good.

19Fordy 11-18-2021 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I taped off the chrome area leaving about 1/4 inch space around the script and then spray painted letters with Vermillion Red.
Let it get tacky and then carefully wipe off excess with panty hose wrapped around your finger.

Lawson Cox 11-18-2021 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=19Fordy; "...then carefully wipe off excess with panty hose wrapped around your finger.[/QUOTE]

If you are getting panty hose wrapped around your finger you are doing something wrong. (The devil made me do it.)

deuce_roadster 11-19-2021 01:37 AM

My pinstriper taught me how to use the 1 shot enamel. After restoring the plates for my avatar roadster he said if I could paint the cars, I can letter the license plates. I now have restored many plates but I am no pinstriper. Paint thinner is synthetic turpentine and I always use turpentine to thin the 1 shot. Like Mike said find the consistency that works best for you. .Get yourself one of those tear off palates from an art store. Not that hard with some practice. Good Luck!

rockfla 11-19-2021 07:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your input.

Rockfla

deuce_roadster 11-19-2021 11:01 AM

P.S Also at the art store, pick up a tool that looks like a fat pencil that has hard rubber at each end, one end pointed and one end chisel shaped. I use it a lot when doing the raised numbers on license plates if my paint mix is on the runny side and I haven't yet added more paint to the pallet.

RalphG 11-19-2021 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Memory fails me if I just used the black felt marker or if I went back and re-did the letters on my 52 Merc bumper with a paint brush. It turned out good enough for me and I figured if I didn't get it right first time there is always steel wool and start over.

Don T 11-21-2021 09:38 PM

For those with poor painting abilities try vinyl sheet (from a sign shop, lots of colors); stick a piece on a letter and cut out the perimeter with a SHARP utility knife or razor blade, easy to fix if you screw up a piece, obviously not a option on painted surface tho.

Tinker 11-21-2021 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 2077561)
I taped off the chrome area leaving about 1/4 inch space around the script and then spray painted letters with Vermillion Red.
Let it get tacky and then carefully wipe off excess with panty hose wrapped around your finger.

How I did club plates. Granted if the painted areas are concave. Paint it then when it's dry wipe the high spots with mineral spirits and a rag. Keep the rag dryish, not sloppy.

Painting a convex surface you can pre brush the lower area with vaseline. or cover everything and wipe off the high spots and let it dry. Spray away.

Nothing beats a good pinstriper. I hope they still are around in years to come at shows.