The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mail truck question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244400)

ronn 05-15-2018 10:12 AM

Mail truck question

I am going to look at a 29 ford mail truck.

what are the key elements to determine if it is real or a copy?

thank you in advance.

Bob C 05-15-2018 10:54 AM

Re: Mail truck question

Check out the photo gallery on Postal A's. http://www.postalas.org/Gallery/index.php

Bob

ronn 05-15-2018 02:16 PM

Thank you Bob, already did that. I cant tell the difference from a few small photos.

Thought there would be a few defining points. Who made the bodies and are they tagged?

Bob C 05-15-2018 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ronn, click on the thumb nails and it will open an album once the album is open
you can click on those photos to enlarge them. Pay attention to the metal brackets
and the construction of the body and compare then to the one you are looking at.
The fake body is on the left.

ronn 05-15-2018 03:22 PM

Well I see some diff Bob- but one on left looks to be a copy of 30-31 whereas one on right 29.

did Ford build the actual bodies or? One builder or many builders?

denniskliesen 05-15-2018 04:16 PM

Did they have taillights on both sides in 28-29? If you look at the Judging Standards, the 29 does not have or show taillights on either side, however they were supposed to have have a single taillight bolted to the side of the body with a single conductor spiral wound armored cable. The one on the left that might be a 30-31 has hinges and a lasp for the side window, they should be spring hinges. I don't think they were made the way the 30-31 picture shows. The door sliding side door tracks on the left (30-31?)are too far out from the body. Here's something you might look at, the Post Office required speed limiting governors on all mail trucks. Whew! Lot of things different from common commercial truck and there is a lot of information in the most recent RG & JS. If you are looking for or want to know an authentic mail truck, get the book.

Five different body builders and General Motors Truck Co. was one of them.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-15-2018 04:56 PM

Look for OOOLD STAMPS, in hidden cracks & crevices.
Bill Digger

Dick Carne 05-15-2018 06:52 PM

Once you have determined that what you are looking at is indeed a Model A Mail Truck, then check to make certain that all of the metal hardware is intact. There are a few folks that have made random pieces for these old gentlemen, but for the most part, and given the limited number and treatment that these trucks received, it is not uncommon to find "projects" that are missing some of the metal hardware. In particular, look for tailgate hardware, sliding door (inside and outside) hardware, and door handles. The '29's have a horseshoe shaped metal ring (cowling) that goes around the gas tank and lower cowlsection, and on the 29 models, there is also an extra flange that goes between the lower portion of the cowl and the wooden front windshield post/front body post. You might also make sure that you have a garage access with at least a seven-and-a-half foot tall doorway. We have a '29 that is still in the restoration process, so if you do happen to "close the deal", I would be interested in talking with you further about these trucks. Thanks and good luck.

ronn 05-16-2018 06:46 AM

Thank you for all of the information. Hope to see it this weekend.

It is an older restoration. And thank you Dick for mentioning the height of the garage door! something I didnt think about.

Mike V. Florida 05-17-2018 11:32 AM

Do you know someone that has the restoration guidelines manual? There are 9 pages about the mail trucks and the fine details such as wipers that are different than the normal A.

CHuDWah 05-17-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1629471)
Thank you Bob, already did that. I cant tell the difference from a few small photos.

Thought there would be a few defining points. Who made the bodies and are they tagged?

York-Hoover. There are some body drawings here:

http://www.postalas.org/ModelAMTDrawings.pdf

Dick Carne 05-18-2018 10:48 AM

For any Model A Mail Truck owner, by far and above the best resource book available is the one entitled "The Ford Model A Mail Truck" by Aldie Johnson, Jr., published in 1999 by The Postal A Press out of Bedford, MA. It is 180 pages of detailed research accumulated over an obvious number of years to include original construction specifications, requisite chassis component specifications, hardware, bolt sizes, etc., etc. You might also want to reach out to the Dan Perla of the MARC and MAFCA Postal A's Region/Chapter (his contact information is available through either of the two Clubs' web sites). Again, good luck with this going forward. Please keep us posted on your progress.

burner31 05-18-2018 07:18 PM

If it sleeps more then four...its real
Also applies to any government vehicle

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 05-19-2018 12:12 AM

I've owned a couple of unrestored mail trucks.
I remember letting air out of the tires in order to get them into the garage.
It might be a temporary considerations until you can raise the opening.

M2M 05-20-2018 08:15 PM

Original trucks were fitted with spark plugs with Post Office markings; Firestone brand I believe. I know an old boy that has NOS for sale.

Steve Wastler 05-23-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1631245)
Original trucks were fitted with spark plugs with Post Office markings; Firestone brand I believe. I know an old boy that has NOS for sale.

Not true, Original running chassis supplied by ford were supplied with champion 3x just like every A and AA. The Firestone POD plugs were installed by the post office garages as replacement plugs when the Campions were needing replaced. I believe this wasn’t until late 30’s early 40’s.

Will Ziegler in LI NY 05-23-2018 08:27 PM

Ronn - did you get to see the mail truck? Any photos to post?

ronn 05-24-2018 07:35 AM

No I didnt Will
pre occupied with a hernia op tomorrow.........

damn! :)

Will Ziegler in LI NY 05-24-2018 07:58 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

M2M 05-25-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Wastler (Post 1632333)
Not true, Original running chassis supplied by ford were supplied with champion 3x just like every A and AA. The Firestone POD plugs were installed by the post office garages as replacement plugs when the Campions were needing replaced. I believe this wasn’t until late 30’s early 40’s.

You're correct; I was referring to the replacement plugs, not to factory fitted plugs.

When were these trucks taken out of service? 1950s?