The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1931 Model A Victoria Value (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249174)

Lstinker 08-07-2018 12:41 PM

1931 Model A Victoria Value

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and I know you guys would have a good idea of a car's value. Twelve years ago I purchased a 31 Vickie that had been in the family since 52 it was
in very rough condition so after six years of work and an empty bank account I now have a trophy winning street rod. I really like the body style and I have located another Vicky. This one I would keep all original. The current owner has owned it for over 60 years. It was restored in 1990 to original including engine and transmission overhaul. very clean underneath, although the paint is amateur and in my opinion needs some help although it does look good at 5-10 ft away. You guys being more knowledgeable than I what would you say this car is worth? ( I don't want to over pay) Thanks for your help and I will try to load some pictures. The site will only let me load two pictures. The engine compartment is very clean and it has all steel fenders. Thanks again.

ronn 08-07-2018 01:57 PM

Re: 1931 Model A Victoria Value

I would say 10-14k, but would guess the owner would want more.

very hard with just 2 photos............

How bad do you want it?

J Franklin 08-07-2018 02:34 PM

Looking at the photos I will guess you will need to pay $13-$16K, It doesn't look like it was used much since all the work was done. Just an engine and trans. rebuild would cost you around $3K or so.

WHN 08-07-2018 03:39 PM

The two pictures look very nice. Great body style.

Most Model A’s are twenty footers anyway. If it’s all there, and the engine, running gear, shocks, tires, interior is in good shape.

Than. What is it worth to you?

Antique cars are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

If your going to keep it, and you really like it. With only you description and two pictures, if I had to give you a number. I would say anything under $18,000.00. Enjoy.

Marshall V. Daut 08-07-2018 04:40 PM

A good Model A paint job in multi-colors is expensive. Very expensive. It's hard to believe that someone would do a quality restoration on such a desirable and valuable body style, crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's, only to slap a cheap or amateur garage paint job on it. I would be suspicious that other areas also got the bum's rush, including such minor considerations as the brakes that will save your life. Yes, the car looks decent in the photos, but you must drive it to make sure the mechanical aspects were done properly if the seller is to get a high price for the car. It must run, drive, steer and stop properly, or else you're looking at expensive rebuilds to make up for what the owner didn't do properly. A complete brake job with new cast iron drums will likely run over $1000 by itself. Sloppy steering could cost $600 for parts alone to correct. And if the engine is a knocking, rear main leaker with no power, kiss another $2500-3500 good-bye. Overheats? Radiators live in the $700+ side of town. Consider all these expenses if they don't live up to expectations.
Another potential red flag that the car was not restored safely is the presence of a lot of chrome goodies plastered all over the car. This is often a camouflage for a mediocre restoration. Not always, but be aware that too many "accessories" often mean trouble.
Also, authentic Victoria interiors are not cheap, either. It will cost thousands of dollars to purchase and install the correct mohair or Bedford cord interior in this car if it has a Naugahyde interior or something made out of Aunt Minnie's old couch material. Because Victorias are built around a wooden frame work, ensure that the steel-structured doors open and close properly and sit squarely in their doorways without sagging or the need to lift and force the doors to close - and stay closed. Take an ice pick along with you and poke the wide floor sills along the side in several places, especially in the door openings where water tends to cause damage. If rotted, it will feel spongy, or if dried out, splinters or even chunks of wood will be lifted by the tip of the ice pick. You do NOT want install a wood kit in a Victoria! Maybe you did so already in your hot rod Victoria? But in case you haven't, if the wood is bad and needs to be replaced in this one, you're looking at a couple thousand dollars for the wood alone, plus the unbelievable effort to install the wood.

All of the preceding could add maybe another $8,000-10,000 to the cost of the car if they have not been done properly. For each deficiency in these areas, subtract a goodly sum from the asking price. Has the owner given you any idea what he wants or is he playing the "Make an offer" game, where no matter what you offer initially will not be high enough. Let HIM make the first move with his asking price and go from there. At $18,000, everything better be pretty spot on. $10,000 or close = take it and run.
Marshall,
former leatherback Vicky owner

Lstinker 08-07-2018 06:47 PM

Thanks for your response The lady that owns it said her father bought it for her to drive to school when she was 16 she is well into her eighties now and they are the second owner I know that has nothing to do with the value of the car. and she drives it some every summer and smart enough to have her son drain the gas every fall. The car had a LeBaron Bonney interior installed in 1990 she claims she has driven it around 20,000 miles since restored. I'm going back up for closer look and drive it, thanks for reminding me to check the door sills. She is wanting 15K.

WHN 08-07-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lstinker (Post 1660419)
Thanks for your response The lady that owns it said her father bought it for her to drive to school when she was 16 she is well into her eighties now and they are the second owner I know that has nothing to do with the value of the car. and she drives it some every summer and smart enough to have her son drain the gas every fall. The car had a LeBaron Bonney interior installed in 1990 she claims she has driven it around 20,000 miles since restored. I'm going back up for closer look and drive it, thanks for reminding me to check the door sills. She is wanting 15K.

I think the story she has told you does mean something.

If you are going to be the third owner and there is paperwork to confirm that?

I would say that is a “Big, Big, Plus”.

$15,000.00, bring cash!

J Franklin 08-07-2018 09:04 PM

Go for a long drive on different roads and speeds. Sounds like you are looking at a good prospect.

Brian SATX 08-07-2018 09:16 PM

15K is a very reasonable price. One just sold here for 25K. 10 year old restoration.

Digger 08-07-2018 09:28 PM

I say 18 no more would be actual value. Ones in this condition sellers usually ask like 22-24k and actual purchase price around 18. Good luck with it, love Vic’s.

Vern 08-07-2018 10:45 PM

Everything that Marshall said in his post is true. I've got so much tied up in my Victoria project, and so much more to spend, that I can vouch for his comments.
Not saying her story is a tad wonky, but the car itself is in it's late eighties along with her. It's of no matter however, cuz her price seems fair based on watching the Victoria market for years.

Arlyn Bieber 08-08-2018 09:42 AM

My thoughts are--- drive the car 50-55MPH for several miles, then try and stop. Let the car set a half hour and look for a puddle of oil under the rear main. If the car won't run 55MPH and your brake pedal goes to the floor and the rear main leaks a six inch puddle of oil, be prepared to spend another 10-15 thousand dollars. Also how old are the tires, quality tires can cost most of a thousand dollar bill. How about shocks, another $1200 if you stay original. Just some thoughts from hot-hot San Diego, 103 in the garage yesterday!!

Mike V. Florida 08-08-2018 10:41 AM

"I don't want to overpay" What exactly does that mean? Do you want to keep it for a short time and you are afraid on not getting your money back or are you going to keep it for 10 or more years and what would the price be then?

Pay what you are happy with spending. There will ALWAYS be one cheaper at some time and somewhere but do you want to wait to see if it is you that finds it? If you like it buy it, drive it and enjoy it. If someone ever asks what you paid, tell them some really low price. You can't really pay too much just buy too early.

Look at the old car guides and remember that Model A owners are known to be cheap so just about all of them will say whatever you pay is too much.

NADA says average 20k
Auctions are of course higher averaging 28,000 for stock.

J Franklin 08-08-2018 11:03 AM

If you go for a drive at 55 MPH don't trust the speedometer in the dash, use your GPS.

Jim Brierley 08-08-2018 11:09 AM

Like Brian, I think 15K is reasonable for a complete, apparently nice, Vicky.

Bob Bidonde 08-08-2018 11:33 AM

Marshal said it all. Heed his words.

Lift up the carpets and check the right & left body sub-rails. If an awl goes into the wood easily, the car will need a body-off-frame wood replacement.

Bob Bidonde 08-08-2018 11:34 AM

Please delete this redundant post.

Oldbluoval 08-08-2018 12:22 PM

Steelbacks generally go for more than leatherbacks even restored.
Unrestored leatherbacks are tough restos but that is not the issue here. But that one seems to have a viable top and other.
I would think based on the limited views that $15K is top number

Gil Sissons 08-09-2018 03:52 PM

Checking Craigslist up and down the West Coast...
There currently are 2 Vickys for sale.
Neither show cars... both drivers. Both cars asking
About $15K.
I paid just a little more that a few years ago for a
"Restored" car. Then proceeded to put in a new
radiator.... new engine... go thru the tranny & brakes.
Take it for a ride like the above have said....
Give brakes a good test... then look under the engine
When you return.
Gil. NoCal

Vern 08-09-2018 10:39 PM

Or for the same money you can buy the interesting Tudor with the custom removable top that Gateway Classic has on eBay!