The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Air filters (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301009)

1965 Mustang 07-10-2021 07:25 PM

Air filters

Are there any air filters available for A engines that significantly reduce intake noise? My engine of course has no air filter, and I am thinking about making my engine a little quieter. Those air maze filters look like they may not reduce sound much. Thanks

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-11-2021 08:13 PM

Re: Air filters

I think pretty much any filter is going to reduce that sucking sound.

Bob Bidonde 07-12-2021 09:23 AM

And reduce engine performance too!

Charlie Stephens 07-12-2021 12:58 PM

How about one of those insulation kits for the firewall to block some of the noise? Maybe a little more under the carpet.

Charlie Stephens

nkaminar 07-12-2021 02:15 PM

Unmodified Model A carburetors have a hole above the chamber where the float valve is that runs to the outside of the carburetor. This works great unless an air cleaner has been installed that has enough restriction to cause the carburetor to run rich. (Sort of like running with the choke half on.) Modern (and modified carburetors) have the hole lead to inside the carburetor intake just upstream of the choke plate. That way the air cleaner has no effect on the fuel/air ratio.

Bottom line: Use an air cleaner with very little restriction or use a modified carburetor.

Rob Doe 07-12-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkaminar (Post 2035301)
Unmodified Model A carburetors have a hole above the chamber where the float valve is that runs to the outside of the carburetor. This works great unless an air cleaner has been installed that has enough restriction to cause the carburetor to run rich. (Sort of like running with the choke half on.) Modern (and modified carburetors) have the hole lead to inside the carburetor intake just upstream of the choke plate. That way the air cleaner has no effect on the fuel/air ratio.

Bottom line: Use an air cleaner with very little restriction or use a modified carburetor.

-x2

rotorwrench 07-13-2021 11:47 AM

The air maze screen is about the only filter that works well with the model A motor but it has to be checked and serviced according to conditions. The dirtier it gets, the more the performance is degraded. The paper types degrade the flow even if clean.

Ivan in southeast va. 07-13-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965 Mustang (Post 2034803)
Are there any air filters available for A engines that significantly reduce intake noise? My engine of course has no air filter, and I am thinking about making my engine a little quieter. Those air maze filters look like they may not reduce sound much. Thanks

If it was a modern car you would turn the radio louder.

31a 07-13-2021 06:58 PM

never used a Air filter dont think I need one going on 36 years now

Pete 07-13-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965 Mustang (Post 2034803)

The answer to your question is, no. None are available that just bolt on.
Reducing noise to YOUR acceptable level and still maintaining an efficient level of performance are design parameters you will have to deal with to get what you want.
K&N has hundreds of filter elements that will work on that application but you will have to design a bracket or fixture to hold one.
Noise reduction usually requires a fairly large unit and that works to your advantage as larger is better as far as amount of flow.
K&N has reusable filter elements that are reusable by cleaning.

katy 07-14-2021 12:20 PM

Hi-boy air filter.