The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need help lowering roadster top please (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280478)

segler 05-03-2020 06:26 PM

Need help lowering roadster top please

We have a new to us 1931 standard roadster and we cannot quite understand how to collapse/lower the top...don't want to bend or damage anything. Any hints appreciated!!

jg61hawk 05-03-2020 10:51 PM

Re: Need help lowering roadster top please

First...LOOK around... pretty easy to follow it's path but I understand the question because I too have a Roadster.. The top is "locked in place" at the windshield. Loosen the the locks in the car, not the side windshield wing nuts. Loose the post wing nuts so the top wants to pop up. Then just follow it's natural desire to open. I suspect the top has been up for some time....just gently lift it up...after being sure the little snaps are undone across the windshield.... it will unfold in a very simple manner. Lots of hinges to be sure...WD-40 can't hurt...go slow.....back and forth....go slow...

jg61hawk 05-03-2020 10:52 PM

Welcome aboard by the way......

jg61hawk 05-03-2020 10:57 PM

undo something like this so the top pops off the windshield stanchions...that's the first thing... I know I said it before but the wife told me to be more clear.....!!

TOP CLAMPING BRACKET 28-29
A-37323/24-AR

TOP CLAMPING BRACKET 28-29
A-37323/24-AR28-29
The bracket on the front corners of the top irons that hold the top to the top of the windshield stanchions. If you are buying new top irons, these are already on them. U.S.A.
Quantity:
$58.95 P

Patrick L. 05-04-2020 07:20 AM

Once the fasteners across the top of the windshield are off then I have to sit in the middle of the car and push up equally on both sides. Then turn around and keep pushing carefully until its in the down position. All those joints are tight. Mine usually only comes down in the spring and doesn't go back up until it gets put away for the season.

JBill 05-04-2020 09:17 AM

Just be careful not to "pinch" any of the top material in the irons as they unfold. As Hawk says, go slow.

California Travieso 05-04-2020 04:52 PM

For me, putting the top down or up on my ‘29 Roadster, it’s a lot easier if you make it a two person job. That way, it’s easier to keep from “pinching” the top material. It’s also easier to put the fasteners on at the windshield with two people.

David Serrano

Dale G. 05-04-2020 06:27 PM

I have a question. Why did Ford not put instructions with the car on how to fold and unfold a top on open cars especially a 400A???

Synchro909 05-04-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale G. (Post 1883507)
I have a question. Why did Ford not put instructions with the car on how to fold and unfold a top on open cars especially a 400A???

Maybe people didn't need instructions. Fold down tops had been in use for hundreds of years so it was nothing out of the ordinary. Or maybe they were just smarter then.

segler 05-04-2020 07:09 PM

Thanks to you all...got it!!!