The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Curious question about water pumps (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268041)

Ol' Ron 08-17-2019 02:58 PM

Curious question about water pumps

On the roadster engine, I found that using 8BA style water pumps would make it easier to use on the drivers side, due to the location of the steering box., I was going to use one of the truck pumps on the passenger side.. however that didn't look very well so I got another 8BA pump that. All well and good??? Not so, stupid factor very hi here, The pulleys are off set about 1/2". I wanted to use the narrow belts, because they stay on at higher revs than the wide belt. so I need a passenger pulley for the drivers side?? Or are the pumps are different. GM might know this. I wanted to use Skips pumps, bit don't have the budget for them. Hard to build on SS, and the house need a new hot water heater.

flatheadmurre 08-17-2019 04:15 PM

Re: Curious question about water pumps

I think all the later style pumps wide or narrow belt are offset further out from the block compared to pre -48.
They need to be that way to clear the post style distributor...

flatford8 08-17-2019 04:44 PM

I’ll send you one. PM me your address..... Mark

51504bat 08-17-2019 04:52 PM

What about a set of Mercury OCM narrow belt pumps? They have mounting pads similar to 8RT wide belt truck pumps just have a different mounting pad heights. Hard to find and they don't repop them. I run a set on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. I have a set that I had Skip rebuild that I keep as spares. I can post photos of the spare set if that would help.

tubman 08-17-2019 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ron, I have a passenger side pump with the deeper driver's side pulley. The passenger side pulley should be almost flat, not domed. Somebody put the wrong side pulley on a rebuilt pump I bought. You can have it for shipping if it would help you out.

Ol' Ron 08-17-2019 06:44 PM

Thanks Guys, What I need is a passenger side narrow belt pulley, that I can press onto the drivers side pump.. the race engine runs a n alternator only. Fan is electric. I'll gladly pay the shipping for this and a few bucks well. If you deliver, i'll buy lunch.

Tinker 08-17-2019 11:51 PM

Ron Can't you just press on a pully of your liking? I'll deliver the wrong one to hang out for a couple days. Not kidding. Maybe the right one.

flatheadmurre 08-18-2019 01:06 AM

On the original setup with narrow belt...you have a longer part of the generator pulley in contact with the belt then if you run both pumps and generator on same belt like the trucks do.
I wonder if the belt won´t wear out fast...especially with an alternator driving an electrical fan...
Just a thought...

Ol' Ron 08-18-2019 09:22 AM

Well thanks to Flatford8, I;ll have the water pump problem solved. I have to say, if it wasen't for my many friends, this project wouldn't have gotten off the ground. Pistons from JWL, Rods from Walt Dupont and many others have contributed to the "Roadster project. At present the Chassis is in it finished weld up and I'm starting to put on the Aluminum skin. I have a 284 Test engine from George (will need the pumps on this) Hope to make some test runs before winter sets in