The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34676)

curleeman 04-18-2011 12:47 PM

Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

I've got a debate for everybody out there that needs some input..I recently read an article in Street Rodder magazine that was debating why people put a regular old small block chevy in their FORD hot rod?? I must say that it sucks that everytime I go to a car show 9 times out if 10 the hot rods all have some combination of the small block chevy.Don't get me wrong, I think the small block 350 is a monumental motor and deservers respect.But my big question is, how come a person will spend thousands and thousands of dollars on their 32 FORD roadster and have a beautiful car only to ruin it by throwing in a regular chevy 350 small block?Why not go the distance and at least put a ford motor in it,to me it's a hybrid at that point, part ford part chevy. I know that budget and availablity of parts dictates what motor someone may use but a ford motor is not that much more than a chevy,especially if your'e already spending the amount of a small house on the vehicle...Or when someone is building a traditional hot rod and they throw in a 80's model chevy motor,doesn't make since to me. There are plenty of old classic motors out there just begging to be brought back to life, Flatheads,Hemis,cadillacs etc...What do yall think about the hot rod community being overrun with chevy small blocks???

Tinker 04-18-2011 12:50 PM

Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

To tell you the truth I don't want to talk about a sbc on a flathead ford site.

Mike51Merc 04-18-2011 01:03 PM

Again. Really?

Vic Piano 04-18-2011 01:09 PM

My opinion on this subject is simply this; to each his own. I like Flatheads and they are what I run in each of our originally Flathead powered cars. We also have two Studebakers and they run the Studebaker V8's that came with them from the factory. If I owned a Chevy, it would have a Chevy engine in it.:D Vic

Ronnie 04-18-2011 01:11 PM

Ho hum!!

WON'T BITE.

Ronnie

TomT/Williamsburg 04-18-2011 01:21 PM

Some people build a car with their heart, some build it in keeping with their pocketbook, and others build it via their checkbook/charge card, with a healthy mix of any/all 3 for most builds. The debate on this can and will go on forever - lets just keep this site to flatheads and old Fords, IMHO, and leave this debate to places outside of this arena.

curleeman 04-18-2011 01:25 PM

10-4 ford friends.....I'm a flathead lover myself...long live the flathead

ford1 04-18-2011 02:20 PM

the reason its done if for cost and availabilty, chevy parts can be bought at any parts store,, im usually ok with the sreet rod post on here, but this is one that should be on the hamb

raceron1120 04-18-2011 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=ford1;194828]the reason its done if for cost and availabilty, chevy parts can be bought at any parts store,, im usually ok with the sreet rod post on here, but this is one that should be on the hamb[/QUOT]

Concur with you ford1. Take it to the HAMB to discuss.

Gumpy 04-18-2011 02:51 PM

If you are posting on this website....early ford v8 then it should be for that.....got nothin a gainst CHEVY's used to own a 67 rs ss stocker.....there is a website for it also!

Scott De Shields 04-18-2011 02:52 PM

As an owner of a 40 Ford that was rodded by my grandfather in the 50's with a SBC. I will be having an 8BA with a 4 speed toploader replacing my grandfathers hard work done some 40 years ago. I will be selling the SBC along with a propane conversion and my Indian motorcycle to help fianance the build. I have been running and building late model V8s since I was a teenager but now want to experiance the Ford V8 flathead. I intend for this to be the last car I will build and will hand it down to my son (he's biting at the bit) just like my dad and my grandfather did.

Ol' Ron 04-18-2011 03:07 PM

Small block chebbys were designed for the poor stupid people that can't afford, or are not smart enough to build a Flathead

FL&WVMIKE 04-18-2011 03:39 PM

Installing a SBC in an old flathead, does not involve cutting the firewall. Installing a newer Ford engine, calls for the firewall to be cut and altered. I would never do either.
MIKE :)

jimTN 04-18-2011 04:22 PM

Ole Ron hit it on the head! By the way, the crossmember has to be notched on a 35-40 when running a garbage truck engine with a stock fuel pump. A flathead will definately run fast enough to kill you.

Milt/Las Vegas 04-18-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford1 (Post 194828)
the reason its done if for cost and availabilty, chevy parts can be bought at any parts store,, im usually ok with the sreet rod post on here, but this is one that should be on the hamb

So can sbf parts be bought at any parts store.

Bassman/NZ 04-18-2011 05:17 PM

Please DONT take it to the Hamb to discuss.... it's been done to death and back again, and you'll get your arse kicked for bringing it up again.

GaryTx 04-18-2011 06:36 PM

Just remember we all love old FORDS....When we see one on the road its exciting regardless what's under the hood....

GreenMonster48 04-18-2011 06:45 PM

I think Curleeman is just here to start trouble.

37 Coupe 04-18-2011 07:09 PM

How many Fordbarners have done the opposite,pulled a Chevy or other ohv from a 32 53 Ford or Mercury? I did it once,drove a 46 Ford convertible home I bought in 1976 with a 265 Chevy engine,drove it around for a week beforing putting a 59AB back in it. Nothing I remember was cut or even drilled different,engine was bolted to the original 3 speed with an adapter, had a NOS radiator to put back in it. Somebody back in the sixties thought this was the way to go I guess.

40cpe 04-18-2011 07:50 PM

I was a teenager in the 50's and early 60's and when somebody discovered how easy it was to install the Chevy engine it just became the thing to do. No more moving an oldsmobile starter to the other side, moving steering boxes, etc. I don't remember anybody being loyal to the flathead back then. Today there some who still think that is the way to build a 50's/60's "hotrod" and will do it to re-create their youth or build the car they couldn't build back then.

I wouldn't do it but I would try to understand the other guy's position.