The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   st"A"rt in 46 seconds (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287132)

Stoney Lonesome 09-12-2020 08:57 PM

st"A"rt in 46 seconds

http://vimeo.com/435389638

McMimmcs 09-12-2020 09:18 PM

Re: st"A"rt in 46 seconds

And ?

marty in Ohio 09-13-2020 07:24 AM

Do you really need new leather gloves to drive your model A. I think my car would be offended.

40 Deluxe 09-13-2020 08:13 AM

"Choke out". But then choke was released immediately so why show pulling out? Engine was likely already warmed up when he hand cranked it.

Bob Bidonde 09-13-2020 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If the engine kicked back, you would suffer wrist injuries because of the way you gripped the crank. I notice you did not use the choke, so did you pre-warm the engine? All in all, that's a nice Model "A" you have. Thanks for posting.

McMimmcs 09-13-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1930974)
If the engine kicked back, you would suffer wrist injuries because of the way you gripped the crank. I notice you did not use the choke, so did you pre-warm the engine? All in all, that's a nice Model "A" you have. Thanks for posting.

Certainly agree on incorrect crank starting. Not the best production.

30 Closed Cab PU 09-13-2020 09:04 AM

Perhaps add setting the throttle lever and spark levers?

Your A has a sweet well running motor.

McMimmcs 09-13-2020 09:40 AM

Rule one on making an instructional video. Make it right or don’t make it. Many errors in this video and not a good video for a novice Model A person.

1crosscut 09-13-2020 01:22 PM

Honestly guys I'm not seeing the many mistakes you are saying that were made.
Yes the choke looked as if it slipped right back in but it was already probably warmed up.
I froze the video in several spots as he was pulling the hand crank over as it should be and I couldn't see anything that would lead me to believe his thumbs were in the wrong position.

Perhaps a few words on about where the throttle and spark levers generally are set would have been nice but its a fairly solid video.

As far as gloves go I'm with him on using them to crank it over... I did't see him actually driving his Model A with them on so I'm sure his car was not offended.

30 Closed Cab PU 09-13-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1931090)
Honestly guys I'm not seeing the many mistakes you are saying that were made.
Yes the choke looked as if it slipped right back in but it was already probably warmed up.
I froze the video in several spots as he was pulling the hand crank over as it should be and I couldn't see anything that would lead me to believe his thumbs were in the wrong position.

Perhaps a few words on about where the throttle and spark levers generally are set would have been nice but its a fairly solid video.

As far as gloves go I'm with him on using them to crank it over... I did't see him actually driving his Model A with them on so I'm sure his car was not offended.

If this was an instructional video for a newbie.

When cold - ignition off, 2 - 3 compressions with hand crank to "prime" the intake manifold with a rich mixture. Then choke off and ignition on - if the spark is retarded/throttle lever is set for fast idle, one more crank on the crank handle should start it. Once started readjust the spark and throttle levers.

Also not shown was turning on the fuel valve, adjustment of the GAV, checking to make sure it is in neutral, and setting the parking brake.

The usual advice is to pull up when hand cranking with your thumb over the crank handle the same way as same your fingers.

Even though he may have doing it correctly, the person watching if a newbie would not know the safest way. I think our concern is to be very thorough so that a newbie does not get hurt, or frustrated. How to use the crank handle properly and setting the spark lever is highly important so kickback does not occur and hurt someone.

I did like the quality of the video, and that is a very nice truck.

If you post things like this here, you have to be ready for the comments. I guess a few of the Barners are perfectionists.

McMimmcs 09-13-2020 07:08 PM

Let’s face it, it wasn’t a great video as far as content went. Not enough time was designated to accurate technical content.

Stoney Lonesome 09-13-2020 08:23 PM

Barner friends,
Thanks for watching and for your thoughtful comments! This 1928 Roadster Pickup was my first car that I got at age 15, in 1972, rebuilt as a teenager and have had ever since. Now I take my young grandkids for rides. They love it! This movie wasn't meant as a tutorial but as 45 seconds of light entertainment to the 99.999% of the population that thinks cars were always made to start remotely by a button on your smart phone from the comfort of your home, etc, etc.

If you want REEL historical accuracy, watch The Cricket (Model "A" Ford cameo). This DOES represent the accurate use of a 1915 Edison Model "B" cylinder recording machine.
Enjoy this and my other Old-Time silent moving picture productions.

STONEY LONESOME PRODUCTIONS™
short,comic,reel,WATCH...Old-Time,silent moving pictures:
https://vimeo.com/channels/stoneylonesome

http://vimeo.com/58063685

Brentwood Bob 09-14-2020 03:03 PM

Thanks for posting, I liked it.

PalAl 09-14-2020 10:00 PM

Hey Stoney I liked it too, I didn't know about the stone wall... very cool
Thanks

Ruth 09-15-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney Lonesome (Post 1931265)
This movie wasn't meant as a tutorial but as 45 seconds of light entertainment to the 99.999% of the population that thinks cars were always made to start remotely by a button on your smart phone from the comfort of your home, etc, etc.

Stoney, Perhaps you should have warned us this was a parody. Apparently it went over more than a few of our heads. Haha. We all need more humor these days. :D

dean from bozeman 09-17-2020 06:58 PM

Thanks, Stoney. Really enjoyed the video.

For me the glass is well over half full and what a great sounding engine.