The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need help to identify overdrive trans (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236364)

Jwilli 01-01-2018 10:33 AM

Need help to identify overdrive trans

5 Attachment(s)
1930 Cabriolet has overdrive that I can't identify. I need your help. Markings appear to be A10-1D. No electrical connections. Has push - pull button, also has shift lever. Previous owner is deceased. Info says that od trans was installed in 2004, no other info. Appears to be a Borg Warner. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jwilli 01-01-2018 10:36 AM

Re: Need help to identify overdrive trans

It appears that I also need help in posting pictures right side up.

1931flathead 01-01-2018 12:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
looked good before I posted it

scrapiron 01-01-2018 12:28 PM

As I understand it, the lever is in/out OD,,,the push/pull is for reverse in main, as reverse won't work in overdrive.

Jwilli 01-01-2018 12:48 PM

The push pull is to activate OD. Pushed in the OD is activated, Pulled out reverse works. Now what is the lever for? Does it have high and low range?

Jwilli 01-01-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931flathead (Post 1573383)
looked good before I posted it

Mine looked good before I posted it too.

Gary WA 01-01-2018 01:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok!

Jwilli 01-01-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1573411)
Ok!

Thanks Gary. How did you do that?

Keith True 01-01-2018 02:31 PM

There are really two controls to operate that overdrive.That knob runs the lockout,and freewheeling.That other lever is used in place of a solenoid.If you show a picture of the other side of that unit with the controls we can point out which control does what.

Kurt in NJ 01-01-2018 02:32 PM

it looks like a borg warner, the overdrive needs to be 'locked out" for reverse , use of reverse in overdrive will damage the unit ----it also probably needs it's own oil seperate from trans,rear

michael a 01-01-2018 02:52 PM

So is that a good overdrive unit and yes I would like pictures of the operating side of the unit and can you still get them

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Jwilli 01-01-2018 03:01 PM

It does have plugs for the oil. There is No solenoid. I just got this A running, it had been stored in a heated basement for the last 7 years. Had to de-rust the gas tank. Built a dead leg below the gas valve, raised the intake apx 1 inch above bottom of tank. This arrangement is working well. I do have 3 other A's none of which have overdrive. Have done lots of search, have not found this trans.

Bob C 01-01-2018 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like was mentioned above it looks like a Borg Warner overdrive, they were
used behind a lot of different transmissions.

Bob

Jwilli 01-01-2018 03:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Operating side pictures. This side has 1-7 over H6 markings.

Jwilli 01-01-2018 03:30 PM

Again pictures are upside down.

Gary WA 01-01-2018 03:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok!

Gary WA 01-01-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwilli (Post 1573423)
Thanks Gary. How did you do that?

Save the pics to comp,then turn right way and reload to barn using Go Advanced.

Keith True 01-01-2018 03:49 PM

The cable is the lockout,the OD needs to be locked out to use reverse.Somebody has replaced the solenoid with that square post setup.There is a cam affair inside that pushes the rod like a solenoid would.Yours just happens to be run by a lever.I had the same design,but it was run by a cable.That is actually what activates the overdrive,not that cable.Tom W.just sent me some pictures of one he has,it is a conversion like yours,and like one I used to have.I understood these to all be 33%over,but I really have no idea if that is fact or just most seem the be that ratio.I used one a few years ago,but I really didn't like the high ratio.Mostly I didn't like the cable shift on mine.The one I had,Toms,and yours all have the same workmanship on that post activator.Same looking welds and gussets too.It makes me think they were from the same builder but I can't seem to find out who that was.

Jwilli 01-01-2018 03:55 PM

Thanks everyone, we are making progress.

petew 01-01-2018 10:49 PM

I believe what you have there is a modified Borg Warner R10 overdrive.
It’s the same overdrive that is found in 1949-1951 Fords and several other cars of the era.
The solenoid and the governor appear to have been done away with . Those were the components that would normally cause trouble , without them it should work forever !
It uses GL1 gear oil that is still available from NAPA to work properly .