The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   31 Tudor Starter Quit Working (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212135)

Rob Rose 01-05-2017 05:40 PM

31 Tudor Starter Quit Working

I am a newbie, I have had my car for 3 months. Today I adjusted the timing and then went to start it and left the cable that plugs into the distributor disconnected and cranked the motor and then the starter just quit working. I have not had an issue with the starter. I plugged the cable into the distributor, and the battery is fully charged, but nothing happens when I press the starter button. My car is a intact original with 22,000 miles on it. Any guidance is appreciated!

John Stone 01-05-2017 05:43 PM

Re: 31 Tudor Starter Quit Working

put your tranny in high and rock the car back and forth. Sounds like a locked starter.

Rob Rose 01-05-2017 05:44 PM

did that, nothing.

John Stone 01-05-2017 05:54 PM

Did the engine turn over OK? If it did, the starter switch may need some attention.

Rob Rose 01-05-2017 05:56 PM

it turned over but didn't start, then the starter quit

John Stone 01-05-2017 06:01 PM

Let me get this straight. If you walked out to the car right now, put it in high and pushed it a little the engine would turn over?

If so, then I would check the switch if all cables are tight and you have a good ground.

Rob Rose 01-05-2017 06:05 PM

Thats right the engine turns over in gear when I push it. I'll check the battery cables tomorrow but the lights are working fine. Don't know how to check the switch, maybe just order one?

John Stone 01-05-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Rose (Post 1409722)
Thats right the engine turns over in gear when I push it. I'll check the battery cables tomorrow but the lights are working fine. Don't know how to check the switch, maybe just order one?

You would have to unhook the ground cable, unscrew the starter rod, remove the nut holding the cable and wire that goes to the terminal box and then remove the 4 screws hold the switch in place. It ought to be obvious once you look at the inside.

Of course it could always be a dead spot in the starter armature.

Rob Rose 01-05-2017 06:13 PM

Ok thanks!

700rpm 01-05-2017 08:26 PM

Do the lights dim when you step on the starter?

Tom Wesenberg 01-05-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1409785)
Do the lights dim when you step on the starter?

BINGO :)

A quick easy check that will help diagnose the problem. If the lights don't dim, it would be a problem in the starter switch. If they dim, then it would be inside the starter, if the battery is in good condition. That is unless the switch contact is shorting to the cover.

Rob Rose 01-06-2017 02:11 PM

Thanks, the lights don't dim. I ordered a new switch. Hopefully thats it.

daveymc29 01-06-2017 02:33 PM

Try the hand crank starting. It may be a dead spot on the armature as suggested above. Or while you have the starter switch off, put the car in neutral, hand brake applied, touch the exposed copper disc on the top of the starter with the hot lead from the battery. Engine should turn over. Just some options.

Tom Wesenberg 01-06-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1410164)
Try the hand crank starting. It may be a dead spot on the armature as suggested above. Or while you have the starter switch off, put the car in neutral, hand brake applied, touch the exposed copper disc on the top of the starter with the hot lead from the battery. Engine should turn over. Just some options.

I agree, do these checks first before buying new parts. Although a spare switch is OK to have.:)

Jacksonlll 01-06-2017 03:52 PM

Take the switch apart. There is nothing to it.

CWPASADENA 01-06-2017 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=Rob Rose;I ordered a new switch. Hopefully thats it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with JACKSONIII

I would take the switch apart and it may just need to be cleaned.

Sometimes, a "new" part may not be nearly as good quality as the original.

The original starter switched are very good and usually do not cause many problems.

My opinion,

Chris W.

Capt Quahog 01-06-2017 11:54 PM

Drove around often in Model A Ford cars for periods of time with a busted starter. Would park the thing on a slight grade, then let her roll and pop the clutch. It was usually broken bendix spring, bad switch or some standard situation. Great thing about an A Model Ford, it's usually pretty easy to get them started in a pinch.

eagle 01-07-2017 12:32 AM

Put a voltmeter on the starter, using the + battery post as reference. If you have power to the starter switch, then check case of starter, should NOT be voltage there. Next pull off starter switch and touch battery cable directly to starter "nub". Use a voltmeter to verify power there. I would DEFINITELY fix the old starter switch rather than replace, if that proves to be the problem. Don't start throwing parts at the problem until you troubleshoot it down to the bad part.

Rob Rose 01-09-2017 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I got the new switch and it does seem very simple-I haven't installed it yet, I am going to check and clean all connections including those in the old starter switch today, but I see that there is something that looks to me like a fuse marked 12V 30A. I unclipped it but I don't see if the back box opens to reveal a fuse inside. Could this be the problem? here is a pic of that.

Bob C 01-09-2017 12:45 PM

That looks like a circuit breaker.

Bob