The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1941 Ford Pickup frame-off restore for the next generation (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150622)

mrfliboy 05-31-2015 01:58 PM

Re: 1941 Ford Pickup frame-off restore for the next generation

4 Attachment(s)
Passenger side running board done.

Also got my radiator back, he says lost count after 5 or 6 leaks but all is good.

Also last pic shows my instructions for the Radiator shop, guess I can't complain too much, 2 other shops would not touch it.

Sixseven 06-01-2015 07:47 PM

Have you got to your left front fender yet? If not, take lots of pick as the damage you have is similar to what I have. I'd like to see how you make the repairs. Do you have a brake and a bead roller?

FlatheadTed 06-01-2015 09:16 PM

Mr Fly boy great job, you obviously can turn your hand to any thing .Ted

mrfliboy 06-01-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixseven (Post 1096180)
Have you got to your left front fender yet? If not, take lots of pick as the damage you have is similar to what I have. I'd like to see how you make the repairs. Do you have a brake and a bead roller?

Not yet, still practicing on the metalworking. Right side fender is next mostly low around the edges to replace. Its much better shape than the left side.

No brake but a bead roller. I have access to a 8' brake a hours ride away.

mrfliboy 06-01-2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatheadTed (Post 1096235)
Mr Fly boy great job, you obviously can turn your hand to any thing .Ted

Thanks for the kind words, learning as I go. And having fun the whole time.

mrfliboy 07-06-2015 01:51 PM

You ever had one of those months??

2 Attachment(s)
I'm sure you all have been on pins and needles awaiting any updates on the old truck. Well there's been a reason for this.

Since the end of May I have been fighting with alignment issues with all the front sheet-metal. Hours of online searching with no avail. BTW some great articles out here.

After actually trying to com-along the cab back to shift it all and countless hours of tweaking, unbolting, elongating holes etc. I decided to strip all the front metal off and re-bolt the cab back down, square the doors etc.

I went and got the hardware for a proper bolt down of the cab and made up some spacers to seat it all properly. After this was complete and my doors were operating better than new (probably). I decided to start with the hood gapping first. As I had done before.

It wasn't until I went to install the bottom radiator shield and grill that I realized my mistake from months ago. I never installed the springs between the frame rails and lower radiator shield, lowering the whole grill assembly down 3/4". As soon as I dropped it down all the pieces fell perfectly into place.

No elongated holes needed, a drift pin some bolts and it all went happily into place. 6 weeks of aggravation, sweat and some cussing gone.

Now I am finally able to continue patching the passenger fender and than onto the other side.

Very very happy with the alignment of everything now. Thanks for letting me rant.

mrfliboy 08-02-2015 01:23 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Back to fender patching 101,

Started on the back running board area, less visible and could use some more practice.

Next was a couple spots along the inner fender connecting area

Onto the small spot by the grill

mrfliboy 08-02-2015 01:27 PM

9 Attachment(s)
And lastly the dreaded piece (atleast I've been putting it off) the whole bottom lip below and to the side of the headlight. Made up a heavy wire rod for the outline and than started shaping and trimming.Lots of hammering and shaping later we have a finished fender.

Also drove over to Detroit area and picked up some nice whitewalls. 27th anniversary and went to the Ford Museum and picked up some tires along the way (fellow ford barner, thanks). Gotta love a wife like that.

Drivers side next.

Tinker 08-02-2015 07:41 PM

Nice progress. Getting closer!

TomT/Williamsburg 08-02-2015 10:14 PM

Nice job on the fender and the entire truck - what is not to love about 40-41 pickups?!

Vanspeed 08-03-2015 05:32 PM

Glad I could help with the tires, nice progress on that fender!

mrfliboy 08-05-2015 11:08 AM

Thanks all. Dog days of summer and all has slowed it down a bit, but still plugging away.

mrfliboy 08-28-2015 06:27 PM

Here we go again Side2

10 Attachment(s)
Finally happy with the pass fender. Got lucky and dumpster dove my neighborhood and found a pile of pvc and fittings. Was able to build a complete fender stand for free. Worked out well for the headlight area holes to be filled.

Will do fine when I get to start painting this winter (maybe)

Started on the Drivers running board. Back bracket was toast. So fabbed up one from a piece of metal that was actually used to patch the floor of the cab.
Gauge was good and its got the patina. LOL

Sixseven 08-31-2015 04:44 AM

Thanks for the PVC stand idea, it's a great one. I'm looking at your shop which seems to be a small as mine. If you can do it, I guess I can too.

mrfliboy 08-31-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixseven (Post 1148257)
Thanks for the PVC stand idea, it's a great one. I'm looking at your shop which seems to be a small as mine. If you can do it, I guess I can too.

I'm sure you'll have no problem, just plug away.

I spend a lot of time rearranging for.... sure. A little planning goes along way.

Mike in AZ 08-31-2015 10:27 PM

very impressive work.....thanks for posting all the work as you've gone along.....very cool....Mike

mrfliboy 09-04-2015 11:55 AM

Big Smile!!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Look what I picked up from a fellow barner.

Looks like its been there from Day 1.

Thanks again

Sixseven 09-05-2015 04:59 PM

I like your idea of using the bar stock for the fender form. Did you leave it in place or roll the new steel into the form, then remove the bar stock?

mrfliboy 09-05-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixseven (Post 1151396)
I like your idea of using the bar stock for the fender form. Did you leave it in place or roll the new steel into the form, then remove the bar stock?

Yea Thanks it worked at well.

Rolled it and than removed. Definitely the way to keep the shape.

mrfliboy 11-16-2015 10:00 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quick little repairs on the headlight buckets.

On to the drivers running board. Lots of fun patching the hump areas, can't wait to apply body filler on those. LOL

Got the VW stored away for the winter and was able to get my framework mounted to the ceiling for my spray booth.