The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   about time to try. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149750)

wildwilly 09-16-2014 08:26 PM

about time to try.

well I put this off long enough, time to pull the fuel tank off Lily Lou an get it cleaned an sealed. Have had her parked due to rust issues plugging up my filter all the time. it's got to be done, an scared as I am to pull her apart.I miss driving her.:(

stewwolfe 09-16-2014 08:31 PM

Re: about time to try.

She will thank you in the long run. Something about choking in all the rust. :rolleyes:

BudP 09-16-2014 09:38 PM

I found my1931 tank not repairable: full of pinholes once the paint was removed: must have sat with gas cap off for a long time during it's lifetime. Got an excellent tank from Bert's. Price was fair and shipping was reasonable.

Fred K-OR 09-16-2014 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can clean it out and put a liner in it if you want to. Most of the vendors sell kits to do this.

The picture below shows you how to do it assuming your wife lets you do it in her kitchen.

Spokes 09-16-2014 11:51 PM

If you want to give it one more try and have not already done this. Give it a try ( it worked for me) Take off gas line from shut off valve to fire wall. Drain all gas from tank. I used a piece of threaded pipe with a ball shut off valve screwed into gas tank. Get 2 or 3 gallons kerosene,piece of cotton paint filter to put over bucket to drain and filter kerosene,coming in to bucket from tank. Do this until kerosene is coming out clean. Now screw pipe in tank a few times, so it is higher and not on bottom of tank where any loose stuff sits. If this does not work pull your tank. !!!

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-17-2014 04:47 PM

I, personally, know of several cars with rust flakes, etc, in the tanks, BUT, with the stainless "pencil" filter installed in the top of the fuel valve, NEVER have a plug up problem. I've heard, somewhere?? that if you use a MICRO-TYPE, pencil filter, it "might" plug up?? The "TALC" like, red stuff that makes it's way to the carb bowl, doesn't "seem" to cause anything to plug up, BUT, what do I KNOW???
Bill W.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-17-2014 05:02 PM

Not sure I would be enthused about using an electric vacuum to suck volatile fumes from a tank! The wife's ranting might just be the least of your problems!!

zzlegend 09-17-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred K-OR (Post 947122)
You can clean it out and put a liner in it if you want to. Most of the vendors sell kits to do this.

The picture below shows you how to do it assuming your wife lets you do it in her kitchen.

Ah, your cookin with gas now Fred. :D

Joe K 09-17-2014 05:13 PM

Gosh - don't EVER throw out a tank because of pinholes.

Yes it may be pretty far gone for recovery today - but someone in the future may find a way to fix it: blow a bladder into it, cover over the holes with duct tape and slosh coat (I've done this with a Briggs & Stratton tank) or even laborously cover each hole with solder and an applewood paddle (old fashioned body work.)

I have a couple of tanks put up in the barn. One with rust out at the "low point" I consider my next tank for recovery.

Nice thing about a low point rust out is you have no qualms about opening it up and checking out the inside - maybe even set up an electrolytic bath in there to convert rust and then recoat.

Many possibilities...

Joe K

Ross/Kzoo 09-17-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 947493)
BUT, what do I KNOW???
Bill W.

Maybe you need more experience. LOL

wildwilly 09-17-2014 07:56 PM

Thank you for the Imfo.

wildwilly 09-17-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spokes (Post 947143)
If you want to give it one more try and have not already done this. Give it a try ( it worked for me) Take off gas line from shut off valve to fire wall. Drain all gas from tank. I used a piece of threaded pipe with a ball shut off valve screwed into gas tank. Get 2 or 3 gallons kerosene,piece of cotton paint filter to put over bucket to drain and filter kerosene,coming in to bucket from tank. Do this until kerosene is coming out clean. Now screw pipe in tank a few times, so it is higher and not on bottom of tank where any loose stuff sits. If this does not work pull your tank. !!!

I have done this, no luck.

wildwilly 09-17-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 947512)
Not sure I would be enthused about using an electric vacuum to suck volatile fumes from a tank! The wife's ranting might just be the least of your problems!!

Damn good point ! LOL

wildwilly 09-17-2014 08:06 PM

I have been giving a name and number to a local rod shop that repairs fuel tanks and relines. I will have the job of R an R, I will let the professionals repair it, an get a warranty. I will just hate the taken her apart deal.

Fred K-OR 09-18-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 947512)

When I did this, the tank had not had any gas in it for over 30 years. But I do understand your concern.