The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bubba,I have a question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117862)

trainguy 09-19-2013 09:16 PM

Bubba,I have a question

On the adjustable vac advance,turning the allen wrench clockwise does what?

Richard in Florida 09-19-2013 09:37 PM

Re: Bubba,I have a question

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainguy (Post 728796)

Clockwise increases the number of degrees of advance the vacuum canister can add to the timing. The more vacuum the engine is producing at any given moment, the more of those available degrees are added.

Idle and steady cruise commonly produce the most vacuum and thus enjoy the most vacuum advance.

Obviously then, turning the wrench counterclockwise decreases the number of degrees.

Karl Wolf 09-19-2013 10:44 PM

Oops- you're talking about 49-53... I was trying to figure this on a crab...
Karl

trainguy 09-20-2013 03:07 AM

Richard in Fla. Thats exactly what I wanted to know,Thanks Phil

36tbird 09-20-2013 07:40 AM

Yo Richard, is there a stop on the adjustment if you turn it full counter-clockwise? In other words, if you back it all the way out does the adjustment screw come out or does it stop at the "least advanced" spot?

Richard in Florida 09-20-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36tbird (Post 728946)
Yo Richard, is there a stop on the adjustment if you turn it full counter-clockwise? In other words, if you back it all the way out does the adjustment screw come out or does it stop at the "least advanced" spot?

There are stops but since the canisters are made in China now, the stops aren't very strong. If you reach a stop and then force it, you'll be buying a new canister soon.

Also, it's often difficult to get the cheap allen wrench go into the adjuster inside the canister. Try rounding that end of the wrench just ever so slightly.

Another also, it's much easier to make adjustments if you put pressure on the wrench to free up the mechanism inside while you turn the wrench.

bk53 09-20-2013 04:51 PM

here is a pic. the skinney wrench is the one i've been trying to use since december it is the one that came with my first vacuum advance unit.
engine was out of the car for 8 months, so maybe only really trying to fiddle with this since 8/15. today I bought a new 30134 accel unit and the fat wrench is the one that works easily on both the new and the old unit. I guess I'll be returning that new one. would it be ethical to return the first wrench with the second unit?
though time will tell, I thought I crept up on the stop and yet I felt it give. Of course my timing tape fell off since I glued it on this morning. Good thing I made copies Richard.
The 276 in this runs great on mechanical advance but I don't consider it to be "tuned".

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...psda433b78.jpg

Richard in Florida 09-20-2013 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk53 (Post 729275)
Of course my timing tape fell off since I glued it on this morning. Good thing I made copies Richard. The 276 in this runs great on mechanical advance but I don't consider it to be "tuned."

I'm delighted to hear that about your engine.

Here's my latest project. Those are old wires just being used to work out the path of each.

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-21-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainguy (Post 728796)

Richard has these units down pat for sure........:eek::)
Thanks Richard

Richard in Florida 09-22-2013 07:44 PM

Speaking of Vacuum Canisters...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 729714)
Richard has these units down pat for sure........:eek::)
Thanks Richard

Jim, do you know a source for the Motorcraft vacuum canister that was used in late '70s clockwise DuraSpark distributors?

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-23-2013 05:49 AM

Re: Speaking of Vacuum Canisters...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard in Florida (Post 730630)
Jim, do you know a source for the Motorcraft vacuum canister that was used in late '70s clockwise DuraSpark distributors?

I would try NAPA.........