The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Water pump repair (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287241)

coup34 09-14-2020 07:18 PM

Water pump repair

Cam someone school me on a 48 truck water pump repair. (install a kit)
Thanks

FortyNiner 09-14-2020 07:19 PM

Re: Water pump repair

Which engine?

KiWinUS 09-14-2020 07:25 PM

Yes. Put it on a box & send it to Skip is the best instruction I could give. You won’t regret it.

Kube 09-14-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coup34 (Post 1931660)
Cam someone school me on a 48 truck water pump repair. (install a kit)
Thanks

If you already have a kit and want to do it yourself, fear not - it's simple.
You will need a press to remove the pulley and impeller.
The rest is pretty straight forward. Remove the pulley and impeller, remove the bushing.
Install the new bushing. Check fitment between the new shaft and the freshly installed bushing. If it fits nice, press the impeller and pulley back on and you're done.
In the kit, there should be instructions as to the direction and order of the thrust washer, spring , etc.

If you don't already have the kit or you don't have a press, send the pump(s) to George Haney. Some guys call him "Skip".
Very ethical fellow that does #1 quality work in a timely and reasonably priced manner.

VeryTangled 09-14-2020 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Many V-8'ers have Mr. Haney's handiwork on their cars, many. He might be the only guy doing coils to keep our cars running tip top. And he's a distributor guy. Oh yes, the 3# radiator check valve is his... Am I missing anything?

Send stuff in a substantial package so he can use it for the return trip.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1600133271

19Fordy 09-14-2020 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Like "Kube" said. If you don't have a press you will probably break a pulley. Send them to Skip and you will be much happier. They come back with improved impellers plus gaskets ready to install.

VeryTangled 09-14-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1931691)
They come back with improved impellers plus gaskets ready to install.

They'll want painting, but then straight on the car, or truck, in this case.

G.M. 09-14-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryTangled (Post 1931694)
They'll want painting, but then straight on the car, or truck, in this case.

They do come primed, ready to paint your color. G.M.

VeryTangled 09-14-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryTangled (Post 1931690)
Am I missing anything?

I haven't needed one, but I think Skip makes a torque tube bearing?

Since I remembered the bearing, let me comment on the customer service. Even those cases where the customer is an idiot (like I was about a decade ago when my negligence exploded his beautiful coil by driving with the battery-cut-out switched off) Mr. Haney will fix your problem at his cost. He's like that.

Joe Immler 09-15-2020 03:25 PM

I had my pumps done up by Skip. They have been on for 8 years. Very happy with him,
and his work.

35fordtn 09-15-2020 03:48 PM

To "Properly" repair a pump it is a bit more than just installing a kit. You need to have a press as mentioned but also you NEED to reface the housing that the seal rides against.. This requires a old water pump refacing tool or a milling machine. I use a Mill..

If you own a milling machine and are willing to take the time to level and setup the housing to reface; and if you own a torch and a press, try it yourself! otherwise you are money ahead to send to skip.

Kube 09-15-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1931994)
To "Properly" repair a pump it is a bit more than just installing a kit. You need to have a press as mentioned but also you NEED to reface the housing that the seal rides against.. This requires a old water pump refacing tool or a milling machine. I use a Mill..

If you own a milling machine and are willing to take the time to level and setup the housing to reface; and if you own a torch and a press, try it yourself! otherwise you are money ahead to send to skip.

Michael, You add a good point about the facing... I am fortunate to have made a tool that does just this and should have mentioned this in my initial post. Thanks for the additional and note worthy information.