The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Difference between RH and LH backing plates? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232290)

Fredb_ 10-30-2017 05:34 PM

Difference between RH and LH backing plates?

1 Attachment(s)
I am wondering if there is any difference between the RH and LH FRONT backing plates for 1939 hydraulic. I have a set of RH LH here that look identical to me. I also have about 6 marked RH and no LH plates to match them. Thanks

Mart 10-30-2017 05:45 PM

Re: Difference between RH and LH backing plates?

Not 100% sure, but is one of the 4 wheel cylinder holes undersize? Only 3 are used. If you can fit either wheel cylinder, left or right, then the plates could be used on either side.

Mart.

rich b 10-30-2017 05:56 PM

Other than the stamping they are identical; heard the R/H & L/H designation was to differentiate backing plate assemblies for production.

Kube 10-30-2017 06:47 PM

There is no difference in fit nor functionality. However, if you plan on having the car point judged, you'll need the "RH" and the LH".

PeteVS 10-31-2017 05:58 AM

I think (and I could very easily be wrong) that there's a couple of degrees difference in the "clocking" of the four holes that bolt to the spindle in order to place the wheel cylinder at the top dead center allowing for caster? Or, is that camber?

Kube 10-31-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteVS (Post 1546043)
I think (and I could very easily be wrong) that there's a couple of degrees difference in the "clocking" of the four holes that bolt to the spindle in order to place the wheel cylinder at the top dead center allowing for caster? Or, is that camber?

Pete, that would be caster and sorry, but there is no "clocking". The plates are identical sans the stamping "RH" or "LH".

Fredb_ 11-05-2017 12:43 PM

Thanks guys, good to know.

PeteVS 11-06-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1546146)
Pete, that would be caster and sorry, but there is no "clocking". The plates are identical sans the stamping "RH" or "LH".

Sorry for my error. I was thinking F1 front backing plates which do have a difference in clocking.

Tony, NY 11-06-2017 10:45 AM

FWIW. Rears will work on the front, if you ignore the E brake tube and use the front wheel cyl.

PeteVS 11-06-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony, NY (Post 1548765)
FWIW. Rears will work on the front, if you ignore the E brake tube and use the front wheel cyl.

And, fronts can be used on the rears if you drill them for hand brake cable tubes. Someone (I should know who) is making the tubes.

rich b 11-06-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteVS (Post 1546043)

The F series backing plates are "clocked" to the back to permit the hose to clear the king pin boss. The wheel cylinder actually tips even further back than the caster.