The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Torque Tube / Drive Shaft Stuck (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270910)

doug.nichols 10-14-2019 08:38 PM

Torque Tube / Drive Shaft Stuck

Removing my rear end assembly and old Borg Warner OD. Rear end and axle dropped nicely into the dolly. Drive line stuck at differential/tranny. What it the best way to break it loose? Thinking of using hydraulic jack and stick of wood against nearest frame member....without bending frame. Other ideas and good humor welcome. :)

Bob C 10-14-2019 08:53 PM

Re: Torque Tube / Drive Shaft Stuck

Are you saying the driveshaft is stuck in the U-joint??

Bob

doug.nichols 10-14-2019 09:09 PM

yes, I believe so.

Tom Endy 10-14-2019 10:23 PM

I had one hung up because the speedo drive gear was rusted to the drive shaft. I had a difficult time getting it off'

It can also be hung up on a rusted roller bearing.

I am assuming that you have removed the speedo gear housing and the circular snap ring on the drive shaft.

Tom Endy

redmodelt 10-15-2019 12:25 AM

You did remove the clam shells? Maybe try jacking the rear end back up to lessen the angle. If the car was being driven I would not think the splines between the U-joint and drive shaft should be that stuck.

doug.nichols 10-15-2019 11:06 AM

I have pulled the spedo cable out but not the gear housing and circular snap ring. I will attempt to do so. Not sure what the roller bearing is. Will need to research.

Clam shells removed. Car has not been driven for a couple of years.

redmodelt 10-15-2019 11:32 AM

The snap ring holds the speedometer drive in place on the driveshaft and can only be removed with the rear end out of the car. The roller bearing is behind the speedometer drive, again same thing. Except for removing the speedometer cable to get it out of the way, the housing it mounts to has nothing to do with removing the rear end, but best to remove the housing so it does not get broke. Sounds like the splines are jammed or rusted together from lack of lube. If you can turn the driveshaft and shake it some, might work loose, but be prepared for it to drop if it comes loose and rolls back.

It sounds like you might need to get a repair manual that shows the layout of parts if you do not have one. While I do not have one at hand, I think the Snyder's catalog has a diagram and parts number in it for the rear end.

doug.nichols 10-15-2019 11:53 AM

Very helpful redmodelt. Thanks.

redmodelt 10-15-2019 12:52 PM

Doug sent you a PM.

Tom Endy 10-15-2019 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.nichols (Post 1809848)
I have pulled the spedo cable out but not the gear housing and circular snap ring. I will attempt to do so. Not sure what the roller bearing is. Will need to research.

Clam shells removed. Car has not been driven for a couple of years.

See the attached article.

Tom Endy

doug.nichols 10-15-2019 02:20 PM

She's out! Just needed to adjust the height of the rear jack to get the right angle. Thanks everybody.