The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Installing Battery Disconnect Switch in 1931 Coupe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254310)

Joop 11-05-2018 07:40 PM

Installing Battery Disconnect Switch in 1931 Coupe

I have used the "Search this forum" to find out how to install the Battery Disconnect Switch in a 1931 Coupe front seat riser but came up empty.
It was referenced many times but not shown.
Would love to see some pictures how to accomplice this.
Who can help me out.

Thanks Joop

29er 11-05-2018 10:19 PM

Re: Installing Battery Disconnect Switch in 1931 Coupe

Hey Joop:

Here's a photo (not mine); See Post #45:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ery+disconnect

When I bought my '29 coupe, the battery disconnect switch was under the hood and hooked to the negative battery post. To make it more convenient I moved the switch to the seat riser as you've indicated you want to do, and is shown in the photo. I also hooked it to the positive ground side of the battery to ensure everything is dead when the switch is off.

I've been real happy with that arrangement.

Mike

springerpete 11-06-2018 06:39 AM

I'm sure you will get lots of replies. Having the switch is a good decision wired as mentioned above to shut off the + cable. Be sure to use 6 v cables ( 00 ? ) It is better to use a 3/4" hole cutter for the switch mounting instead of a drill bit. Maybe the same for the cables coming thru the floor pan under the seat as you have more control with a cutter. Rubber grommets for the cables in the holes or a good lot of silicone to protect the cable insulation. I mounted mine just to the right of my right heel when driving. Bill

Jacksonlll 11-06-2018 06:48 AM

I did one that way. Just make sure you insulate the ground cable from ground, from the switch to the battery so it won't bypass your switch.

marty in Ohio 11-06-2018 07:47 AM

Joop,
I did mine just like the picture that 29er suggested. One other thing I did was to build a small wooden box around the back of the switch. I carry stuff (jack, crank, tools, etc.) under the seat and I didn't want anything sliding around under there to touch the contacts on the switch.
Marty

monto 11-06-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29er (Post 1693222)
Hey Joop:

When I bought my '29 coupe, the battery disconnect switch was under the hood and hooked to the negative battery post. To make it more convenient I moved the switch to the seat riser as you've indicated you want to do, and is shown in the photo. I also hooked it to the positive ground side of the battery to ensure everything is dead when the switch is off.

Mike

Mine is identical to "Post 45". Works like a charm..

Bruce of MN 11-06-2018 02:51 PM

Here is where mine is mounted. My floor mat is the rubber style, so I didn't feel too bad about cutting it for the switch handle.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/dV72sHw9/0324181401.jpg[/IMG]

Tom Wesenberg 11-06-2018 11:36 PM

My emergency cutoff switch is to lift the cable off the battery post.
I don't clamp it tight with the bolt.

Jeff/Illinois 11-07-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1693542)
My emergency cutoff switch is to lift the cable off the battery post.
I don't clamp it tight with the bolt.

I do that very same thing! And it works well.

I wonder how many Assy. Plant codes get drilled thru on the cross member:eek: Most I've seen are right about where your right heel would be.

fordcragar 11-07-2018 01:59 PM

My shut-off switch has a removable key; which serves as a anti-theft device as well.

Redbird 11-08-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29er (Post 1693222)
Hey Joop:

Mike

In the photo on #45, what is the little switch that the handle of the cutoff is touching?

30Ford 11-10-2018 12:38 PM

I installed mine on the seat riser of my Coupe the rule is closer to the battery the better

30 Closed Cab PU 11-10-2018 01:30 PM

I usually just pull the fuse that has been added to the top of the starter. Are here any concerns other than this does not disconnect the Starter?

Bob Grieb 02-04-2019 04:02 PM

For what it's worth:

I have two Model A's and each has a shut off switch. My Tudor switch is under the seat and the pickup switch is under the hood near the starter. Both work well and I have no real preference.

goodcar 02-04-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joop (Post 1693171)
I have used the "Search this forum" to find out how to install the Battery Disconnect Switch in a 1931 Coupe front seat riser but came up empty.
It was referenced many times but not shown.
Would love to see some pictures how to accomplice this.
Who can help me out.

Thanks Joop

Under the hood for mine using the available Snyder starter mounted bracket. Cables remain underneath, easy to access, no cutting holes or other modifications. I have a late 31 s/w so have to open the hood anyway to shut off the gas.

Jacksonlll 02-04-2019 07:11 PM

For those of you who pull the fuse often, those rivets will loosen and kill your engine. That fuse holder was not designed to be a switch with high usage.

marty in Ohio 02-05-2019 08:23 AM

Originally I did what Jacksonlll wrote about. I used the fuse as a switch. There
are four little clips that hold the fuse, and in my case, one little clip broke. It took me a week to find the problem. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to find. I now have a new fuse holder and a switch.
Marty