The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steering gear grease retainer (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246822)

Ritzy1 06-27-2018 04:30 AM

Steering gear grease retainer

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the steering gear grease retainer, 3591, without taking the box out of the car and taking it completely apart?

Wondering if I could just take the pitman arm off and pry out the old seal, then push the new one into place over the roller shaft?

Thanks, Dave

alanwoodieman 06-27-2018 11:39 AM

Re: Steering gear grease retainer

you can do that by drilling small holes in the grease seal and threading a long sheet metal screw in and use at least two screws and gently pull/pry to remove

Ritzy1 06-28-2018 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 1644822)
you can do that by drilling small holes in the grease seal and threading a long sheet metal screw in and use at least two screws and gently pull/pry to remove

Thanks. So this is something you've actually done? If so, did you use some sort of a straight edge to re-seat the new seal?

deuce lover 06-28-2018 04:38 AM

I did the same thing and used a deep socket to drive the new seal in.Worked perfect.

alanwoodieman 06-28-2018 07:44 PM

yes, I have done this numerous times, I used a piece of plastic pipe to drive the seal back into the box. I also like to make up my own steering box lube. 1/2 half synthetic grease 1/2 synthetic trans doping
85w 140 mix them together, I use a coffee can and mix like amounts together to the consistency of mustard--I like Frenche's, pour, slop this good into a squeeze bottle and fill the steering box--move the gear around and refill. this stuff will not get hard will not run when it gets hot

Ritzy1 06-29-2018 04:43 AM

Thanks fellas. I got a new seal and some 600W gear lube from Joe's Antique Auto. Once I clean the 70 years worth of gunk off the box to see what it looks like, I may take a stab at it before the motor goes back in.

JSeery 06-29-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritzy1 (Post 1645397)
I got a new seal and some 600W gear lube from Joe's Antique Auto.

If you are having a leakage issue that is not what I would be using in the steering gear box! It is basically 140w gear oil. There are much better lubes to use, such as cornhead grease.

Ritzy1 06-30-2018 04:59 AM

Thanks JSeery. After seeing your response, I did some more Googling and found a good thread on the topic on the HAMB. Recommendation there was a EP100 NLGI00 grease. Gotta do some sourcing . . . guess the JD cornhead grease fits that spec.

Robert/Texas 06-30-2018 06:50 AM

I filled the steering box in my '34 roadster with Penrite grease. It was leaking profusely but now it doesn't leak at all. The car has tubular headers and the left header is right next to the steering box. Google for this.