The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   52 Ford Car Rear End Gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303949)

whb52ford 09-17-2021 10:35 AM

52 Ford Car Rear End Gasket

The big gasket on the rear end is leaking. Tried tightening the bolts but leaking again. Normally the gasket is to the rear of the car and just removing some bolts to change the gasket. Could not figure out from my 52 Ford service manual what I need to do. Can I just disconnect the rear universal joint, unbolt the rear end nuts and slide it out ? Do I have to take the axles out? Was trying to not fool around with the seal on the pinion. That is not leaking.

Zax40 09-17-2021 01:25 PM

Re: 52 Ford Car Rear End Gasket

Yes, you will have to remove the axle shafts before you can remove the 3rd member. Is it the gasket between the 3rd member and housing that is leaking?

whb52ford 09-18-2021 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's the 4035 gasket. If I take out the rear axles, drop the drive shaft at u-joint, will it come out as one piece?

V8COOPMAN 09-18-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whb52ford (Post 2057758)
It's the 4035 gasket. If I take out the rear axles, drop the drive shaft at u-joint, will it come out as one piece?

Yes....ONE heavy piece! DD

paul2748 09-18-2021 07:15 PM

Put a floor jack under the rear - it's a heavy mother

whb52ford 09-19-2021 07:29 AM

Floor jack under it is a good idea. Well that is my next project.
thx

deuce lover 09-19-2021 08:08 AM

Check the axle bearings and maybe replace the seals .Those seals could be wore out.

whb52ford 09-19-2021 08:32 AM

Probably a good idea. Will order so I will have on hand. While I'm there why not.

Daves55Sedan 09-19-2021 06:12 PM

When removing the pumpkin from a rear axle housing, I have found it best not to use a floorjack, because it can roll off easily unless you make some kind of special receiver for the pumpkin flange to sit in. I have always pulled myself directly under the center of the rear axle and pulled the pumpkin off, then lowered it down to my chest, then slowly roll it off on a couple layers of cardboard on the garage floor. Never sustained and damage to myself or pumpkin yet, but yes they are heavy.
BTW, have fun pulling those axle shaft seals out too. I've had professional seal pulling tools that wouldn't cut the mustard. Finally ended up making my own seal puller.

whb52ford 09-19-2021 06:17 PM

I think I got under it last time I had it out. I replaced the seals not to long ago whe I replaced the bearings so I think it will come out.

V8COOPMAN 09-19-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 2058200)
When removing the pumpkin from a rear axle housing, I have found it best not to use a floorjack, because it can roll off easily unless you make some kind of special receiver for the pumpkin flange to sit in. I have always pulled myself directly under the center of the rear axle and pulled the pumpkin off, then lowered it down to my chest, then slowly roll it off on a couple layers of cardboard on the garage floor. Never sustained and damage to myself or pumpkin yet, but yes they are heavy.
BTW, have fun pulling those axle shaft seals out too. I've had professional seal pulling tools that wouldn't cut the mustard. Finally ended up making my own seal puller.

Get a piece of chain about 6 feet long. Put the two end links over two opposing axle lug studs (after running chain through something heavy like a flywheel) with flat washers and lug nuts. Stand back at chain's length, facing the axle, and repeatedly slam flywheel against chain. Make sure you spread your legs, 'cuz axle can suddenly eject from the housing and get ya! DD

deuce lover 09-20-2021 12:26 AM

Or put the brake drum on backwards and screw on 3 lug nuts part way and use the drum as a slide hammer.

whb52ford 09-20-2021 02:37 AM

I like that using the brake drum on backwards. To pull the rear end I have a old large scissors jack from an RV that I mounted on 2x4’s with heavy casters for my transmission removal. I should be able to attach a piece of plywood to scissors jack. Thinking a ratchet strap should hold it on.

V8COOPMAN 09-20-2021 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce lover (Post 2058287)
Or put the brake drum on backwards and screw on 3 lug nuts part way and use the drum as a slide hammer.

I can only imagine that you MIGHT have about 1/2" to 5/8" worth of "hammering" by the time you put the lug nuts on three or four turns, in addition to the thickness of the drum flange. A lot of those axles, you've got to get with the program to get that axle broken free and moving. DD

whb52ford 09-20-2021 03:07 AM

I have had them out before and don’t remember having a problem getting them out. Hoping my parts get here soon because I’m having hand surgery and will be laid up for a month.

Zeke3 09-20-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce lover (Post 2058287)

I have used this method many times with success. I put the lug nuts on backwards with the flat side toward the drum when using as a slide hammer.