The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   rust in tank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268137)

wbs 08-19-2019 02:50 PM

rust in tank

hello read past ford barn threads on this subject- i am thinking of trying electrolysis
1. but instead of just 1 central electrode-3 electrodes , 1 in center and 1 in each baffle
2. does anyone have a cross section picture of a tank so i ca see where to locate the the 2 baffle electrodes?
3. i thoughgt that i would dril 3/4" holes in the area of baffles and put the electrode thru the holes and give it a try if i can find out where the baffle areas are--plus to electrodes and negaive to the tank

Bob C 08-19-2019 03:42 PM

Re: rust in tank

2 Attachment(s)
Brent posted some. Bob

Werner 08-19-2019 04:12 PM

Hallo Bob,
I know, it's not exactly the topic. But I notice the baffles in the pictures. There are none in the tank of my '28 and I do not see any old sweat marks where they could have sat.

chrs1961815 08-19-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1789673)
Hallo Bob,
I know, it's not exactly the topic. But I notice the baffles in the pictures. There are none in the tank of my '28 and I do not see any old sweat marks where they could have sat.

Perhaps (this is not based on anything) it could be some kind of version of an early tank then they put baffles in? Does anybody know this?

I have no experience with electrolysis but have heard good things about it. For something like the gas tank, it is not a bad idea as the only way to get it completely clean is to cut it open which many don't want to do for good reason. Furthermore, I have had heard stories of the backyard mechanics ruining good tanks by blasting sand into them, which can warp the sheet metal and you will probably never get all the sand out.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-19-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1789771)
Perhaps (this is not based on anything) it could be some kind of version of an early tank then they put baffles in? Does anybody know this?

I have no experience with electrolysis but have heard good things about it. For something like the gas tank, it is not a bad idea as the only way to get it completely clean is to cut it open which many don't want to do for good reason. Furthermore, I have had heard stories of the backyard mechanics ruining good tanks by blasting sand into them, which can warp the sheet metal and you will probably never get all the sand out.

I have factory prints for all US tanks. All the prints I have seen in the assembly drawings show baffles.

wbs 08-20-2019 03:01 PM

thank you very much to all who replied---the pictures were surprising- there are actually 5 compartments-it looks like it would take 5 electrodes---but a 3/4" hole is very easy to plug and weld--don't have to be expert welder-- if i give it a try, i'll let u know results---i even tought about using a fiberoptic device which allows wide angle viewing thru small hole, tho i dont know where i could get such a device

Ruth 08-20-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbs (Post 1790093)
thank you very much to all who replied---the pictures were surprising- there are actually 5 compartments-it looks like it would take 5 electrodes---but a 3/4" hole is very easy to plug and weld--don't have to be expert welder-- if i give it a try, i'll let u know results---i even tought about using a fiberoptic device which allows wide angle viewing thru small hole, tho i dont know where i could get such a device

They have relatively inexpensive endoscopes now that connect to your smart phone via Wi-Fi. I have one like this and it works pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

whirnot 08-20-2019 04:18 PM

Make sure it is just rust. I got a surprise when I soaked my tank in evaporust for weeks and it barely touched it.
When rinsing it out with the power washer I hit it hard enough to lift the tank sealer that had been applied over the rust. Could not even see it. Still working on that one......