The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   8BA aluminum timing cover (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274830)

3twinridges 01-02-2020 09:58 PM

8BA aluminum timing cover

Noticed tonight that the aluminum timing cover on our 4” stroke, 1CM cam, and 0BA distributor Flathead has two timing pointer locations. The pin is currently set in the 8RT location with a plug in the 0BA hole. What determines which hole the pointer is located in?

JB

3twinridges 01-02-2020 10:29 PM

Re: 8BA aluminum timing cover

Forgot to mention this engine is in a 52 F1 and running the stock truck pulley.

JB

RalphM 01-02-2020 10:54 PM

8RT is a truck engine, so I would think it’s set right.

3twinridges 01-02-2020 11:03 PM

Thank you

JB

flatheadmurre 01-03-2020 12:04 AM

The crank pulley diameter is different between car and truck so that is why there is 2 different locations for the pointer.

Frank Miller 01-03-2020 08:01 AM

I'm not sure about the timing difference but pulley diameter will make no difference. The truck hole might be retarded a bit for heavy loads but then again the car heads had higher compression so that would necessitate retarding. Can't see how pulley diameter would make a difference unless the pin locations are one above the other.

Ol' Ron 01-03-2020 08:32 AM

The worst part of the alum cover is the ware pattern on the cam thrust surface, causing a large cam backlash. One way to check this is with the aluminum ball trick. Attach on to the nose of the cam and rotate the engine. .008'010" is normal. I have found as much as .020 . The only way to fix this is a shim behind the cam timing gear. . WHY?? The excessive baclklash has an effect on timing

51 MERC-CT 01-03-2020 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The different locations are just to keep the indicator closest to what ever crank pulley is being used. Has nothing to do with timing.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1578061290

GOSFAST 01-03-2020 09:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1837500)
The worst part of the alum cover is the ware pattern on the cam thrust surface, causing a large cam backlash. One way to check this is with the aluminum ball trick. Attach on to the nose of the cam and rotate the engine. .008'010" is normal. I have found as much as .020 . The only way to fix this is a shim behind the cam timing gear. . WHY?? The excessive baclklash has an effect on timing

Hi Ron, for some time now when we build with any aluminum covers we install a nylon cam button, same button used for cam end-play in the SBC's.

It's a simple "lay-in" deal, simply sand the front edge to set the end play. Takes only a few minutes to get it right, the nylon sands quickly!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Wishing all here a very "Happy New Year"

51 MERC-CT 01-03-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1837500)

Perhaps a better way to address the problem for most would be to adjust the thickness of the cover to block gasket or eliminate gasket and use liquid gasket.
Then again have appropriate amount of material removed from cover mounting surface.

51 MERC-CT 01-03-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1837521)
Hi Ron, for some time now when we build with any aluminum covers we install a nylon cam button, same button used for cam end-play in the SBC's.

It's a simple "lay-in" deal, simply sand the front edge to set the end play. Takes only a few minutes to get it right, the nylon sands quickly!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Wishing all here a very "Happy New Year"

Sounds like a better solution.

3twinridges 01-03-2020 10:09 AM

Really good thoughts and I appreciate the responses. Great, you gave me something else to worry about, cam end play....

JB

19Fordy 01-03-2020 11:36 AM

GOSFAST: That nylon cam button is a neat idea.

Ol' Ron 01-03-2020 03:59 PM

Thanks Gary, sure sounds like you've solved another pesky flathead problem