The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   '31 Model A 4 Door (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146708)

Spiffy 08-11-2014 07:19 PM

'31 Model A 4 Door

1 Attachment(s)
I just purchased an early '31 4 door Briggs (now learned it's a Murray) body. (not a slant windshield) The subrails are missing and the piece of the body that goes under the doors from the cowl to the post with the door latches and back to the rear door jam (like a rocker panel type thingy) is missing. Does any Model A parts supplier make that part? I've done searches for the part but can't find it. Sorry for my lack of Model A knowledge, this is my first one after lots of fat fendered Fords. The part I need is shown in the picture below--under the doors. This isn't my car, just a picture I found.

Dick Carne 08-11-2014 07:40 PM

Re: '31 Model A 4 Door

Spiffy -
Congratulations on your new acquisition. I believe that the part number that you are referencing is shown in Snyder's catalog as part no. A-132-W (as referenced on p.A-210 of their 2014 catalog). These will require slight fitting to the wooden body sills, and possibly need cutting in order to obtain a good fit. Good luck with your new project repair.

Spiffy 08-11-2014 09:37 PM

Wow! Thank you very much, Dick!! Yeah, I'm going to be having lots of fun.:D
Bruce

Mike V. Florida 08-12-2014 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffy (Post 926050)
Bruce

Let us know how much fun you are having when you put the wood in. :eek:

Spiffy 08-12-2014 12:22 AM

Yeah, now that really looks like fun! LOL Thanks for posting that picture of the wood, it shows me a lot about the construction of the car.:( Bruce

1930artdeco 08-12-2014 09:58 AM

Welcome and when you get done with the restoration you will have one very fine riding car.

Mike

JohnLaVoy 08-12-2014 12:25 PM

These wood framed sedans are great fun!

Terry,NJ 08-12-2014 12:56 PM

I think you'll learn some new words before it is done! You don't show the rear view, but do you have a rear splash pan with it? They were only used on fordors. They go between the fenders. How is the wood generally? I note you will need a header (the piece over the windshield). Is it just a fordor, or is it a Town Sedan? Take a look in my profile, go to "My 30 TS.
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffy (Post 926050)
Bruce

Purdy Swoft 08-12-2014 02:05 PM

I see holes for cowl lights. My guess is that it is probably a town sedan.

Spiffy 08-12-2014 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Terry, Here is a picture of the rear of my 4 door. The wood looks decent except for the header as you mentioned. I'll probably find some other pieces that might need replacing. Oh, it needs top wood and the subrails that are gone. The body is solid, just has surface rust because the guy let it sit outside after he bought it. The doors are excellent because he had those in his garage attic.

Purdy Swoft, the picture earlier was a picture that I found online. Mine doesn't have cowl light holes so I guess it's the standard 4 door sedan.

John, Yeah, I can see it's gonna be a whole lotta fun. LOL

Thanks guys, Bruce

Purdy Swoft 08-12-2014 05:24 PM

The size of the quarter window looks like a murray body. I may be wrong. it could just be the angle. Any pics of the doors showing the reveal moldings?

Dick Carne 08-12-2014 05:50 PM

Bruce -

I'm inclined to agree with Purdy in that the rear quarter window leads me to think that you may have a Murray-bodied car. Only the cowl sections are interchangeable as between the Briggs and Murray bodies - btw, if indeed this is a Murray fordor, the lower bead you first referenced in this thread is on the bottom of the doors. However, door sills and virtually all interior wood is entirely different as between these two manufacturers. I gave our '29 Murray town sedan to our oldest daughter, so I'm not able to measure the width of the doors, but they should be about the same width on the Murray - on the Briggs the front doors are roughly an inch-and-a-half wider than the rear doors - if my memory serves me. Other than the difference in parts and pieces, the work required to restore either body is about the same. Again, good luck and enjoy yourself.

Spiffy 08-12-2014 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Purdy and Dick, I see what you mean about the window. The black car is a Murray and the other is a Briggs. I learn something here every day! I was only going by what the seller said but I see that he was wrong. Thank you both.
Bruce

Skibb 08-12-2014 07:08 PM

Spiffy, welcome to the Party.... Three of us did last summer what you are doing now. Good Luck. My restoration is a 1930 Briggs 3 window sedan. It's been both a good experience and a test of physical stamina with our So Fla Summer Heat. We're still restoring. Still smiling.

Spiffy 08-13-2014 05:29 PM

Hi Skibb, and thank you.
I just checked out the pictures on your page and you guys do a lot of excellent work! Yeah, the Florida summers make it kind of a struggle when working on anything. Best for being in a pool :) (wish we had one). Bruce

Skibb 08-17-2014 09:06 PM

Spiffy,

The good thing about wood for the chassis, roof and frame is that it's done, DONE. Oh my Henry, but new wood was the right thing to do. I asked Brent if I had to do it and he said: "Do you want the car to be right?".

Spiffy 08-26-2014 08:23 AM

Could anyone tell me the width of a '31 Model A 4 door at it's widest point? I am going to be trailering my A body from NY to FL and I want to know if it's going to fit in a 6 x 12 trailer--the trailers rear door opening (62") is what I'm worried about. The body is in storage in NY so I can't run out and measure it--I'm in FL. I found lots of dimensions on this site but not the width. http://www.motormayhem.net/model-a-f...pecifications/

Mike V. Florida 08-26-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffy (Post 934448)
Could anyone tell me the width of a '31 Model A 4 door at it's widest point? I am going to be trailering my A body from NY to FL and I want to know if it's going to fit in a 6 x 12 trailer--the trailers rear door opening (62") is what I'm worried about. The body is in storage in NY so I can't run out and measure it--I'm in FL. I found lots of dimensions on this site but not the width. http://www.motormayhem.net/model-a-f...pecifications/

Where in Florida?

Spiffy 08-26-2014 03:34 PM

Above Tampa on the Gulf Coast.