The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   running board rubber glue? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240739)

kimeccles 03-12-2018 07:36 PM

running board rubber glue?

I have the new running board pyramid rubber mid-1930 Cabriolet that comes with a white paper covering adhesive backing that is peeled off to stick them on.

Is this good enough, or should I use some additional weatherstrip adhesive to hold it down before I start to install the zinc strips that hold down the edges?

Mike V. Florida 03-12-2018 11:14 PM

Re: running board rubber glue?

I have only used contact cement so I can't help you with experience but if I were in your shoes I would add the adhesive.

burner31 03-13-2018 01:07 AM

I have new mats that I will be installing soon, no self adhesive on these, I'll be using some of the super 3M stuff.

daren007 03-13-2018 07:31 AM

3m1300l

ronn 03-13-2018 07:49 AM

Barge rubber cement...............

wrndln 03-13-2018 09:07 AM

I used the good stinky Weldwood contact cement (not the crappy worthless water based stuff) to install the runningboard matting on my 28 coupe. The problem was the glue created bubbles under the matting. The matting laid down nicely, but a little later, bubbles started forming. It was a tough job to try to get rid of the several medium sized bubbles that formed on each board. I am going to use 3M 90 spray adhesive to glue the matting on my 29 phaeton's runningboards.
Rusty Nelson

chap52 03-13-2018 09:19 AM

3M spray is much easier to get on evenly and avoid bubbles.

Afordman31 03-13-2018 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The last Swap Meet that I attended I spoke with a fellow that sold running board rubber and installed them. I asked what adhesive he used and he showed me this: GM 550 Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure.

wrndln 03-13-2018 01:30 PM

Afordman31,
Is the GM adhesive a spray or is it applied another way (brush maybe)? I am about ready to put the matting on my 29 phaeton runningboards and don't want to have trouble(bubbles) like I did with the coupe using contact cement.
Rusty Nelson

hardtimes 03-13-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimeccles (Post 1604346)
I have the new running board pyramid rubber mid-1930 Cabriolet that comes with a white paper covering adhesive backing that is peeled off to stick them on.

Is this good enough, or should I use some additional weatherstrip adhesive to hold it down before I start to install the zinc strips that hold down the edges?

3M makes SEVERAL differing spray adhesives. I've used different types of 3M spray, depending on what I need to happen with job. For instance, one type spray tacks/dries more slowly and you get a small window for shifting part. Whereas, another spray keeps the part(s) in place immediately. Choose wisely. All are great at what they do !

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-13-2018 02:39 PM

What was it like in "bygone" days, WITHOUT the modern GLUES/ADHESIVES, that we enjoy NOW? They'd glue something, let it sit for DAYS & it'd jist fall apart +=*$^%#$^ (PROFANITY that I can't display HERE!)
Bill Cleantalkersometimes

Tom Wesenberg 03-13-2018 08:17 PM

In the old days they had good glue from horses.

Afordman31 03-14-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1604599)
Afordman31,
Is the GM adhesive a spray or is it applied another way (brush maybe)? I am about ready to put the matting on my 29 phaeton runningboards and don't want to have trouble(bubbles) like I did with the coupe using contact cement.
Rusty Nelson

Was in a tube Rusty, not spray. He said that there was working time and that he had weighted the running board rubber after getting it in position!

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-14-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1604753)
In the old days they had good glue from horses.

From their HOOVES, I "think"???
How about JACKASSES/DONKEYS/BURROS/MULES/ETC ???
Bill Pondering again