The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Radiator Purchase (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78887)

sconnors 08-04-2012 09:21 PM

Radiator Purchase

If you were going to purchase a new radiator where would you purchase it from?

Snyder's
Tam's
Brassworks
Berg's

329s 08-04-2012 09:26 PM

Re: Radiator Purchase

Quote:

Originally Posted by sconnors (Post 473580)
If you were going to purchase a new radiator where would you purchase it from?

Snyder's
Tam's
Brassworks
Berg's

Berg's did mine (restored an original) a few years ago and was very pleased.

Pluck

Pickupman 08-04-2012 09:51 PM

You can't go wrong with a Berg's Radiator and service. Doesn't get any better.

Vetcol 08-04-2012 10:20 PM

Bergs got a web address?

sconnors 08-04-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vetcol (Post 473607)
Bergs got a web address?

http://www.bergsradiator.com/

Arlen 08-04-2012 10:32 PM

Bergs is best.

Arlen 08-04-2012 10:34 PM

Forgot to mention. Bergs will probably need you to send a core. Little over a month ago, he was out.

Purdy Swoft 08-04-2012 10:41 PM

I have only heard good things about Bergs. For me to do business with Bergs My guess is that I would need a radiator with good tanks and frame to be recored. this would require shipping two ways. If I purchased a new heavy duty radiator from Snyders, it would be delivered to my door in two to three days and I would only have to pay shipping one time. I have a Snyders radiator on my 31 tudor . If I needed another radiator I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Snyders or Smith and Jones. Radiators are expensive, I don't know if Bergs has recored radiators ready for shipment to be sold out right. Price would also be important. I may eventually decide to buy a radiator for a late AA truck project, I don't have a AA radiator for trade in. What are the chances that a radiator of this type would be available and at what price??? Snyders advertises prices. Does Bergs accept Visa or Master Card??? I have No doubt that Bergs is good but that is it, lots of questions otherwise.

Tom Endy 08-05-2012 12:08 AM

My advice is to take an original Model A radiator to a competent radiator shop and ask then to install a radiator core that has four rows of tubes. If the shop does not speak Model A you will have to educate them about the baffle, the three wire grabbers at the bottom, and the importance of having the four mounting brakets positioned properly. The cost should be around $450-$475.

Tom Endy

Mike V. Florida 08-05-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlen (Post 473613)
Forgot to mention. Bergs will probably need you to send a core. Little over a month ago, he was out.

You mean tanks don't you?

Keith True 08-05-2012 06:55 AM

I think he means core as in one to turn in.Like a starter core,generator core,etc.When you buy a rebuilt you pay a core charge until you bring back the old one.I have a half dozen radiators full of holes I have saved.Somebody asked me why I was saving them,I just said good for cores.When they pointed out the cores were full of holes I realized that as a non-mechanic they didn't know what I was talking about.

Fred 08-05-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 473698)
I think he means core as in one to turn in.Like a starter core,generator core,etc.When you buy a rebuilt you pay a core charge until you bring back the old one.I have a half dozen radiators full of holes I have saved.Somebody asked me why I was saving them,I just said good for cores.When they pointed out the cores were full of holes I realized that as a non-mechanic they didn't know what I was talking about.

If you are worried about shipping costs, The last time I talked to Gary I was told that if I sent him only the side straps & upper & lower tanks that were good, it was worth $100.00 credit on a re-core.. That was two years ago & may have changed ??.. To me, "EITHER WAY" you get a better radiator than ALL the rest being sold, "AND IT FITS" !!!..

spdway1 08-05-2012 10:45 AM

Bergs.

Mitch//pa 08-05-2012 01:59 PM

do a search there are plenty of threads that overwhelmingly recommend bergs

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-05-2012 02:44 PM

I have, --and do use Bergs quite a bit on Model-A & T radiators but to throw a "for what its worth" out there, Gery does not offer a 'dimpled-fin' core as was original on 1930-1931 Model-As. Is that little feature important? You can be the judge & jury. For whatever reason, Henry did spend the money to have that detail added to the fins so someone saw the importance.

ctlikon0712 08-05-2012 03:43 PM

Brent, does anybody offer that style core? Or is there a tool one could make to correctly duplicate the dimpled fin?

Blessyouboys 08-05-2012 03:57 PM

I have a Brassworks radiator that I've been very pleased with. Dimpled fins and all.

Purdy Swoft 08-05-2012 04:00 PM

Bergs flat tube 30-31 radiator is $550.00 , I wonder how it compares to Snyders 88 tubes ,eight fins per inch , heavy duty radiator that sells for $585.00 ??? I really don't care if they don't have the dimples in the fins. My cars are all drivers and cooling is more important than being an exact replica of the original. The radiator from Snyders really cools my stock 31 tudor good. After looking at the web site and all of the good things That I hear about Bergs, I would certainly consider buying a radiator from them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-05-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 473955)
Bergs flat tube 30-31 radiator is $550.00 , I wonder how it compares to Snyders 88 tubes ,eight fins per inch , heavy duty radiator that sells for $585.00 ??? I really don't care if they don't have the dimples in the fins. My cars are all drivers and cooling is more important than being an exact replica of the original. The radiator from Snyders really cools my stock 31 tudor good. After looking at the web site and all of the good things That I hear about Bergs, I would certainly consider buying a radiator from them.

Interesting question. Maybe someone can do an accurate scientific study some day to compare the two. Again, my experiences are Gery Bergbower is an awesome individual to do business with, and my experiences (I have purchased 4 radiators from him this year to date) are that his radiators are a quality piece. I guess my point was/is the question for some to answer is the dimple-fin core is not necessarily there for "looks" (authenticity) but for efficiency of cooling, so some need to do their own homework to see if that added feature is necessary for their "driver" Model-A.

329s 08-05-2012 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;473974]Interesting question. Maybe someone can do an accurate scientific study some day to compare the two. Again, my experiences are Gery Bergbower is an awesome individual to do business with, and my experiences (I have purchased 4 radiators from him this year to date) are that his radiators are a quality piece. I guess my point was/is the question for some to answer is the dimple-fin core is not necessarily there for "looks" (authenticity) but for efficiency of cooling, so some need to do their own homework to see if that added feature is necessary for their "driver" Model-A.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but didn't Marco make some sort of tool to do the dimpling on the fins???

Pluck