The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil mist on left side of engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242708)

mgtf1500 04-15-2018 09:51 PM

Oil mist on left side of engine

I have a car that mists oil form somewhere -- Breather Cap? Dip Stick hole - some other unknown place. Where does this mess come from and how do I fix it?

!931 Deluxe Delivery

Thanks again.

Bulligen 04-15-2018 10:03 PM

Re: Oil mist on left side of engine

Its your breather. Without taking you engine apart, sometimes a road draft tube gets the fumes to down under the car where they are carried away. Or you can put a white cotton sock over it to catch the oil. You can then actually see how much oil vapor you are catching? You probably have some weak rings.

Charlie Stephens 04-15-2018 10:51 PM

Be sure the dip stick is all the way into the block.

Charlie Stephens

HDowse 04-16-2018 05:55 AM

The vendors carry the accessory unit that fits into the breather tube and carries the mist to under the car. Here's the one from Snyder's: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/oil-breather

WHN 04-16-2018 07:26 AM

I would add the breather tube from Snyder’s, we have used on all the Model A’s we have owned.

If you have a high mileage engine, you might want to also try a heavier weight engine oil. 20w-50 is used by a lot of guys in the Model A.

Add the breather, you will be happy with the result. Enjoy.

Kurt in NJ 04-16-2018 08:54 AM

Where do you have the oil level, if it is at the "F"or above I have seen oil spray out the breather till it gets below the "F", try lowering the oil level some

Ron in Quincy 04-16-2018 12:41 PM

You can use a plain copper scrub pad, cut a large piece and place it in the tube under the oil cap, push it down to the louvers. As the oil collects on the pad it will run back into the oil pan and not end up on the left side of the engine.

Works well for me for a lot of years.

Ron

GMCPASO 04-16-2018 02:08 PM

# 7 works very well with weak rings and blow-by.

jg61hawk 04-16-2018 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 1929 Roadster and it has the larger Model B filler. I never had a problem, but two of my friends got cars after me with the stock more narrow original tube. We have switched both cars now to the wider, longer Model B tube...fixed that problem of blow by. Not original but FORD and better than new!

Synchro909 04-16-2018 05:32 PM

Those oil breather tubes are another example of the LHD focus of parts houses. There is nothing provided to secure the lower end of the tube. I wire it to the engine mount but it is and looks rather crude.

johnneilson 04-16-2018 06:58 PM

There is also the PCV option.

See Brierleys book, mine works very well.

John

Railcarmover 04-16-2018 08:08 PM

https://i.imgur.com/T5QygrE.jpg?1

stock breather and a right side breather off the valve cover,upper rear..

PC/SR 04-16-2018 11:13 PM

Look at the center main bolt. Seepage there sometimes.

Benson 04-17-2018 09:27 AM

A caution:

I have seen "steel wool" used in place of copper pot scrubbers in breather tube.

Water vapor collects on steel wool which causes rust then as steel wool falls apart the small pieces of steel wool drop into the oil pan and get in bearings etc.

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-17-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy (Post 1618397)
You can use a plain copper scrub pad, cut a large piece and place it in the tube under the oil cap, push it down to the louvers. As the oil collects on the pad it will run back into the oil pan and not end up on the left side of the engine.

Works well for me for a lot of years.

Ron

BUT, adding ANYTHING, in the tube or cap raises crankcase pressure & causes more leakage, especially at the REAR MAIN.
Mist is mainly a problem at higher speeds & longer runs, THEN, just use a sock & don't WURRY about it. It's just one of Model As IDIOSYNCHROCIES!
IDIOSYNCHRIC, was Greggs, (RIP!) one word definition of me! I considered it as a COMPLIMENT.
Bill Practical

Joop 04-17-2018 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe check first if your oil breather/filler pipe is oriented the right way as in the picture. JP

BillEbob 04-17-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCPASO (Post 1618426)
# 7 works very well with weak rings and blow-by.

You made me go back and count each response to see which one was #7! lol:D

Y-Blockhead 04-17-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillEbob (Post 1618742)
You made me go back and count each response to see which one was #7! lol:D

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDowse (Post 1618247)
The vendors carry the accessory unit that fits into the breather tube and carries the mist to under the car. Here's the one from Snyder's: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/oil-breather

With the added benefit of it acting as a Road Draft tube.

GMCPASO 04-17-2018 03:34 PM

SST scowling pads work well, that is what I use. No rust that way.

Ron in Quincy 04-18-2018 12:02 AM

All A engines have to breath, that is why all oil tubes are not the same, Ford no doubt was getting complaints about blow by, you do not have to have worn rings to have blow by.

This is why I suggested, for a quick fix, using a copper scower pad as it is course and even though it collects oil fumes it still allows the engine to breath.

If you go to swap meets you might find an old Fumaze which has a special bracket that holds it in place, a lid that opens for adding or changing oil, a tube that extends down about 1 foot to carry the fumes out.

Do not use steel wool as it is fine and you will end up with some of it going into the oil pan, bad deal !!!!!!

Ron