The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil Pan fit? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93650)

George, Iowa 01-04-2013 07:30 PM

Oil Pan fit?

1 Attachment(s)
I had trouble getting my oil pan in to a newly restored car. It was an extremely tight fit. I had to take off my pulley just to get the front two bolts in. It was so tight against the front crossmember I couldn't get my socket on the bolt. Picture is of the oil pan and how the socket only goes so far.

My pan is on now...but I just wanted to know if something else is wrong in my restoration or is this normal?!

Thanks

700rpm 01-04-2013 07:39 PM

Re: Oil Pan fit?

Are you using a 3/8" drive or a 1/2" drive? 3/8" should fit up there OK.

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-04-2013 08:35 PM

George,
Our's was easy, and we're not "magic"! Could your engine maybe too low in the front????? Or maybe loosen the 4 big rear motor mount bolts and see if the engine can be scooted back a little. Bill W.

MAG 01-04-2013 08:41 PM

One of my Model A's has the same problem. Many years ago the car was in an accident requiring the front crossmember to be replaced. The replacement crossmember is a little "fat" in the access area for the front oil pan bolts. I cut screwdriver slots in the bolts to eliminate access problems. Has caused no trouble or leaks.

Roadster Rich 01-04-2013 10:33 PM

I concur with Ray's answer. My good quality 1/2 inch sockets will not work for these bolts. However for these two I use a cheap 3/8 inch drive "Huskey" socket set and they are thin enough wall thickness to get in and grab the bolts.

George, Iowa 01-04-2013 10:56 PM

My 3/8 inch drive will not come close to the bolt. I think MAG is on to something. My front cross member has been replaced. It must be a thicker cross member.

Curt Campbell 01-04-2013 11:30 PM

George...I am thrilled you are getting more done on your A. Are you going to join me with mine next summer when mine is done??? I HOPE SO

redmodelt 01-04-2013 11:45 PM

Using a long piece of all thread that is large enough diameter that will fit through the starter crank hole and into the recess in the starter ratchet. Cut it long enough to weld a nut on the end where it sticks out so you can put a wrench on it. Insert the all thread with nut into the hole, before sliding into the ratchet place a couple of washers and a nut on. Turn the nut and washers making contact with the engine side of the crank guide. Holding the outside nut with one wrench turn the inside nut. This will push the motor back so you can use your sockets to get to the bolts. You may need to loosen the rear bolts on the motor mount.

Marco Tahtaras 01-05-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George, Iowa (Post 565747)
My 3/8 inch drive will not come close to the bolt. I think MAG is on to something. My front cross member has been replaced. It must be a thicker cross member.

How does your hood fit? Your pic is too small to be certain of any details but it appeared to me to be a ribbed cross member meaning it's a '28 cross member. These had different rivet hole spacing than the later cross members. If the wrong reference hole was used then it may be out of position.

George, Iowa 01-05-2013 09:46 AM

Curt, I wish I was running down the road with you this summer. I am between semesters right now and working on my A. School starts back up soon and the Model A will have to be mothballed again.

George, Iowa 01-05-2013 09:48 AM

The body is not on the car. So it sounds like hood/body fit will determine if I need to move the motor backwards. Great ideas guys! I love this website.

Purdy Swoft 01-05-2013 10:08 AM

Float A motor rear mounts will cause this problem. The whole drive train will have a tendency to float. Some love it.

George, Iowa 01-05-2013 10:15 AM

Purdy, I have the Float A Motor...makes sense now that you point it out.

V4F 01-05-2013 11:29 AM

my biggest trouble is getting the pan plug to seal . leaks thru the threads i believe

1931 flamingo 01-05-2013 11:32 AM

1/4" drive

Paul in CT

Purdy Swoft 01-05-2013 11:40 AM

Are you sure that the leak is from the plug ? Many times a bad fit at the rear pan seal will cause oil to run down the oil pan and collect around the drain plug . If oil is leaking around the threads of the plug, I would put some high tack permatex sealer on the threads of the plug, before installation.

Tom Wesenberg 01-05-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V4F (Post 565960)
my biggest trouble is getting the pan plug to seal . leaks thru the threads i believe

The copper ring, not the threads, do the sealing. A new copper gasket should fix the problem.