The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lower rad hoses (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259210)

Licensed to kill 02-14-2019 07:25 PM

Lower rad hoses

I put the motor back in my '35 1-1/2ton but don't know what I need for lower rad hoses. When I pulled the motor (and rad) there was just straight hoses from the pumps to the rad BUT, someone had stacked two sets of motor mounts to raise the motor so the inlets/outlets would line up. They then had to cut a notch in the frame so the pass side exhaust could clear because the engine was too high. I fixed the frame and put new motor mounts but now the top of the water pump inlets are in line with the bottom of the rad outlets so it appears I need a "Z" shaped hose or perhaps there was a "Z" shaped pipe that attached with two short hose sections. Then again, it COULD be the wrong rad perhaps.Truck is a '35, engine is a '47 if that matters.

Tony, NY 02-14-2019 08:02 PM

Re: Lower rad hoses

These will work for a close hookup. https://www.honestcharley.com/offset...onnectors.html
Many years ago I bought offset hoses like in this kit. Can't remember where I got them alone. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...stock-fan.html

papanomad 02-14-2019 08:07 PM

I used gates 20151. amazon has them.

cas3 02-14-2019 08:18 PM

lower hoses for an 8ba have the double curve to help get around the crossmember. not sure on yours, but that is the trick for 34's

Brian 02-15-2019 05:19 AM

Cas3 has the answer, I use 8BA lower hoses when fitting 59A series engines into my 35.

Tim Ayers 02-15-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1727095)
Cas3 has the answer, I use 8BA lower hoses when fitting 59A series engines into my 35.

Aren’t 8BA hoses smaller diameter than 59 series or are the lowers the same.

tubman 02-15-2019 09:29 AM

Only the top hoses.

Phil Gillespie 02-15-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1727142)
Only the top hoses.

What is the reason for the smaller diameter top hoses? Water flow control rate? or what, just interested .
Phil NZ

JSeery 02-16-2019 02:43 PM

Think it is just to match up with the smaller radiator inlets.

flatheadmurre 02-17-2019 05:07 AM

Think the general idee is that a pump wants bigger hoses on the suction side then on the pressure side...

Step-down 02-17-2019 06:58 PM

There’s a guy on the HAMB selling bottom Z hose

Licensed to kill 02-23-2019 03:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Been looking but haven't found a source for lower hoses listed for the 8BA. The lower "S" hoses that my supplier shows have way too much sweep to them. I did find some on the HAMB offered by a guy in Finland that look correct but with shipping and exchange are PRICEY!!!!

19Fordy 02-23-2019 08:26 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Can you make some out of copper tubing and elbows soldered together with short piece of straight hose at each end similar to this? 8BA in a 40 Ford with 8RT water pumps.

TJ 02-23-2019 10:05 AM

When I need a special hose I use pieces of old hose and steel tubing (you can also use plastic pipe) and make myself something that fits what I need. I then take that made up pattern to my local Napa store and roam through their hoses. Sometimes you may have to buy a hose that is too long, but has the correct bends to match your pattern. Works every time for me. Save the hose part # for future reference and replacement.

cas3 02-23-2019 12:01 PM

the gates # for the hose is 20151, i just ordered some yesterday, counter man had no trouble finding them. any of the vendors should have them also. i too saw the ad from finland and wondered why any one would be trying to sell used hoses?

deuce lover 02-23-2019 02:08 PM

If its Aulitz from Finland he has them made up and they are new ,not used.Here is a link on the HAMB to his ad.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/12324063/

cas3 02-23-2019 11:57 PM

interesting that the guy had his own hose design made. i have a neighbor of 40 years from finland, and have even gone home with him to visit the family. i'll tell you, they are a "get r done" bunch of folks over there. the only country that repaid its ww2 debt

Licensed to kill 02-24-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1729734)
Can you make some out of copper tubing and elbows soldered together with short piece of straight hose at each end similar to this? 8BA in a 40 Ford with 8RT water pumps.

I already tried that mine don't need to be anywhere near that much deviation from straight. I cut and modified two copper elbows and tis welded them together but the the required curve was still too tight.

Licensed to kill 02-24-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas3 (Post 1729811)
the gates # for the hose is 20151, i just ordered some yesterday, counter man had no trouble finding them. any of the vendors should have them also. i too saw the ad from finland and wondered why any one would be trying to sell used hoses?

I've looked at the 20151 and it does not appear to have enough curve. On mine, the bottom of the rad nipple is parallel with the top of the pimp nipple but they are only a couple inches apart. The hoses offer from finland look just right but would be close to $200 CAD by the time they get here:eek:

Licensed to kill 02-24-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1729756)
When I need a special hose I use pieces of old hose and steel tubing (you can also use plastic pipe) and make myself something that fits what I need. I then take that made up pattern to my local Napa store and roam through their hoses. Sometimes you may have to buy a hose that is too long, but has the correct bends to match your pattern. Works every time for me. Save the hose part # for future reference and replacement.

This is my next plan. I've done this before but am less optimistic about these hoses as they require a pretty tight "S". We will see.