The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flathead Partially Disassembled (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272338)

Ian1932 11-08-2019 06:32 AM

Flathead Partially Disassembled

5 Attachment(s)
By looking at these pictures what could you guys tell me about this engine? Im taking it to get torn down and see if if its usable. I think this has the Babbitt bearings. If they are in spec then i should be able to rebuild it, correct? My family is friends of a drag racing engine builder / race team. They have built several flatheads to stock condition so they know what they are doing. I just dont know to much and would like to not sound like a total ding dong...I have a ton of parts for flatheads. They saw these parts and said, "we will let you know what you need and you get bring it over, if you dont have it, you can buy it and send it to us". Im hoping this is good, as it seems all the engines i have have poured babbitt bearings...

Terry,OH 11-08-2019 07:04 AM

Re: Flathead Partially Disassembled

Appears to be 33-34 oil pan and intake appears to be 34. It may be good not to ship with the aluminum intake manifold, if you have an old cast iron intake laying around. Does the engine have a breather at the oil pan front RH side? if not then 33-34. If the oil pan is 33-34 and without the breather be careful with it, and the dip stick boss $$! If the heads are aluminum also be careful with them. for the same reasons.

JSeery 11-08-2019 07:28 AM

First off, what is your objective with rebuilding the engine? What vehicle would you be using it in?

Ian1932 11-08-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1818982)
First off, what is your objective with rebuilding the engine? What vehicle would you be using it in?

I just want it to be stock. I have all the other parts like pumps and carbs and filters and "stuff". Its going into a 32 roadster. They will let me come in a paint it when its ready. If all looks good they will hot tank it which i gues removes all the paint and a goo.

Ian1932 11-08-2019 08:05 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry,OH (Post 1818978)
Appears to be 33-34 oil pan and intake appears to be 34. It may be good not to ship with the aluminum intake manifold, if you have an old cast iron intake laying around. Does the engine have a breather at the oil pan front RH side? if not then 33-34. If the oil pan is 33-34 and without the breather be careful with it, and the dip stick boss $$! If the heads are aluminum also be careful with them. for the same reasons.

I will look when i get home about the oil hole. Its going to a shop that is just a couple miles from my house. I have a bunch of alum. heads and an alum. oil pan. Not sure what i should use...I have some single throat intakes and single throat carbs. By what i hear i dont want to use the detroit lubricator carb. Ill post some pictures of the "stuff" i pulled that looked the best...

Bored&Stroked 11-08-2019 09:35 AM

My guess is that it is a 34 - but could also be a later 33 engine. Something to ponder is the over all condition of the crankshaft, main bearings and babbitt.

If the babbitt is currently good (along with the crank journals), then you probably don't want to hot-tank it. They can pressure wash it instead and preserve the babbit bearings. Also, that intake is the one you'll want to use - and run a Stromberg 48 or 97 . . . MUCH better setup than the old single barrel Detroit Lubricator. Good luck with your project!

Ian1932 11-08-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1819035)
My guess is that it is a 34 - but could also be a later 33 engine. Something to ponder is the over all condition of the crankshaft, main bearings and babbitt.

If the babbitt is currently good (along with the crank journals), then you probably don't want to hot-tank it. They can pressure wash it instead and preserve the babbit bearings. Also, that intake is the one you'll want to use - and run a Stromberg 48 or 97 . . . MUCH better setup than the old single barrel Detroit Lubricator. Good luck with your project!

Good to know! Thanks for your input!

flatjack9 11-08-2019 11:42 AM

I would have them pressure test the block.

Bored&Stroked 11-08-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1819096)
I would have them pressure test the block.

This is a good idea - better to spend some money on the front end and know that your engine block is good.

David J 11-08-2019 12:30 PM

Looks like the fuel pump stand hole in the intake is round .
That makes it a early 35 intake .

Pic of the fuel pump pushrod bushing area will clarify a lot .

38coupe had an old thread on block ID that covered id'ing these well .

DavidG 11-08-2019 03:01 PM

Definitely not a '32 block. The water pumps, cylinder heads, and the red toppped fuel pump appear to be the '32 versions. A photo of the side of that fuel pump would identify it as early/mid-year or very late.

It looks like the cylinder head studs have been removed and put back in finger tight given their height above the outer surface of the heads.

RalphM 11-08-2019 04:53 PM

“It looks like the cylinder head studs have been removed and put back in finger tight given their height above the outer surface of the heads.” Quote

Good catch David, I didn’t even notice that the first time I looked at it.